Roof cleaned at last

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:14 pm
by jasond4289 (deleted)

One of the things that has annoyed me since bringing my Familia home three weeks ago and looking longingly from the bedroom window is the rather dull and dirty roof which is in contrast the the rest of the van which has clearly been well cared for. Indeed the owner of the campsite I used last weekend thought it a brand new van when I said it was my first weekend away! Anyhow, time and weather were right today to rectify this, and following a wash, polish x2 and wax the roof now passes muster. Forgot to take a before picture but have during and after.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 DSC_0197.JPG 
 DSC_0201.JPG 

Eriba novice with a Familia 320GT.
, , Ribski, , Poptop320 and like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Roof cleaned at last

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:56 pm
by Arwie (deleted)

Could you let me know what you used to wash and polish. I am keen to do the same but as a newbie I am a bit nervous of using the wrong thing!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:25 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

to clean the roof on mine I bought a plastic long handled mop from Aldi £3.00 that has a Micro cloth over a foam block and it makes it so easy to reach for washing.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:18 pm
by jasond4289 (deleted)

I used a sheepskin wash mitt and Autoglym shampoo followed by Autoglym super resin polish and finished with Autoglym extra gloss protection. Halfords currently have 3 for 2. A wash mop for up keep is a great idea, but if it's not had much loving lately, up close and personal is the way to start.

Eriba novice with a Familia 320GT.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:33 pm
by Wordspace (deleted)

There's been a lot of discussion here (see "Silicone and fibreglass") about the use of products containing silicone for cleaning and protecting pop-tops. I believe the consensus was that they aren't a good idea. Well done for getting your pop-top into immaculate condition, but I'd be wary about using Autoglym on it again.

Olivers Twists at http://martynoliver.wordpress.com/
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:47 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

It's recommended for use on glassfibre car bodywork so what's the problem?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:52 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:36 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Wordspace wrote in post #5
There's been a lot of discussion here (see "Silicone and fibreglass") about the use of products containing silicone for cleaning and protecting pop-tops. I believe the consensus was that they aren't a good idea. Well done for getting your pop-top into immaculate condition, but I'd be wary about using Autoglym on it again.
I'd have no qualms about using Autoglym whatsoever. There is nothing on Autoglym's website which even so much as hints at a deleterious effect.

I just don't think there's the risk that some others do, I'm afraid, and agree completely with what Brian says above.

Not that it makes any difference to those who are committed abstainers, but the silicon constituent of many, many waxes and polishes is simply a component which makes it easier to apply.

Last edited Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:38 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:59 pm
by Wordspace (deleted)

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #6
It's recommended for use on glassfibre car bodywork so what's the problem?
Hold on, now. Somewhere there's a saying about not shooting the messenger! What is the good of a forum whose members offer advice if that advice is not at least acknowledged? I referred to a thread begun here in April of this year, in which Pop540 wrote:

Zitat von Pop540

was recently asked why not to use silicone on fibreglass, although its always been a warning have worked with, thought should oogle to find out, here are the results so far,

text below from this link
From Charles P. Cohen on the Morgan mailing list:

My fiberglass expert has very nasty words about any wax that contains silicones. They work really well -- but when it's time to re-do the gelcoat, or repair the underlying glass, they are very difficult to completely remove. Silicone residue causes paint to "fish-eye".

From John Dunsmoor:

Do not use any product that contains either Teflon or silicone; most of these [non-traditional] products do. If you get either of these compounds on the topside, paint will not stick, neither will gelcoat.

That seems like a reasonable ground to be wary.

Pop540 claims not to be an expert in this field. Neither am I. But we both have been sufficiently concerned to remark on the possibility that silicone and Eriba pop-tops don't go well together. Where's the problem with that?

Pete the Skunk is right when he says that the silicone in Autoglym products makes them easier to use. I've used them on my cars for years. But I chose to use Agger's recommended Harly's on my 430's roof. It was damned hard work, but I don't have that niggling "just-in-case" doubt about silicone.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:07 pm

Quote: Wordspace wrote in post #8
If you get either of these compounds on the topside, paint will not stick, neither will gelcoat.

That seems like a reasonable ground to be wary.

Yes, but only if you intend to use paint on it subsequently. I don't think that applies in the context we're dealing with here. Nobody on here is talking about repainting or repairing a pop-top after polishing it with Autoglym or any other product which uses silicon as a carrier. That's a different issue altogether.

It's the same deal as using silicon to seal round woodwork at home - it simply won't take paint afterwards.

In my ever-so-humble, I don't think it's worth not using a polish with silicon on the pop-top on the off chance that you just might have to repair the gelcoat at some point in the future. Like if an anvil drops from the sky or your roof gets hit by a grand piano falling from a fourth floor window.

You're hamstringing yourself to a degree disproportionate to the risk.

Aren't you?

Last edited Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:24 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:23 pm
by Wordspace (deleted)

My question - which might merit a separate thread: what is gelcoat? I've heard boat people talk about it, and I've seen it referred to now and again here. My uneducated assumption is that it's some kind of protection against UV damage, presumably something that fibreglass is subject to. I don't have the faintest idea how long gelcoat lasts, or if indeed its expected life is longer than that of an Eriba lid. So, nobody is talking about repairing a pop-top now in this thread; but it might be an idea to hedge your bets.

In any case, I'm neither denigrating nor advocating silicone products. I'm defending my choice to express an opinion based on reasonable doubt without it being shot down without discussion.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:26 pm
by Wordspace (deleted)

Zitat
last edited 2 minutes ago

you snuck that last bit in under my radar, you so'n'so!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:38 pm

Quote: Wordspace wrote in post #11

Zitat
last edited 2 minutes ago
you snuck that last bit in under my radar, you so'n'so!

Who, me?

What's gelcoat?

'The smooth, hard polyester resin surface coating of a fibreglass structure.' That's the dictionary definition.

It's the first thing into the mould before the glass matting is laid in.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:57 pm
by Wordspace (deleted)

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #12
It's the first thing into the mould before the glass matting is laid in.

Thank you, sir!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:04 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I think Eriba owners should be looking more at boat polishing/restoration techniques for the roof rather than normal caravan wash/polishing etiquette. When you watch some of the videos they look like hard work to get the oxidation (chalky) out and bring the shine back.

My van is only three years old so I am trying to slow down the effects of the Sun and the elements, I have a roof cover on mine during the touring season and a full cover in winter, so in theory the roof will only be exposed to the elements for approximately 40 days of the year.
I personally just keep it clean then spray with Bobby Dazzler

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/Gelcoat_Polishing.html

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:10 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:28 am
by Agger (deleted)

I think part of the problem is time! I don't believe you can fully protect the roof (which is particularly prone to discolouring, staining, etc). If you store your van inside, often you'll experience bird droppings, dust, wet marks (where the storage building roof has sweated). If you use a cover there are other concerns, many can be eradicated but none the less a cover brings it's own issues (according to thread history on here).

Time, being retired I'm in a position where I can dedicate time to what is possibly the 3rd largest in monetary terms purchase I will ever make! So imho I should look after it (I know from previous threads not all of you agree, thats fine it's your money, I just cherish what I've worked hard for!). Lots of others on here are retired, but they have differring priorities (a nap in the afternoon) I only ever sleep at night as I'm not old yet!.

Regular cleaning makes it less of a chore, you'd be surprised how much "dirt" is contained in your rain and awning gutters! I have seen photo's on here of others ("newly washed, cleaned Eriba") which to be honest I'd be cleaning again! It comes down to what you expect and how you want to look after your Eriba. You just can't expect it to stay clean with the occasional wash with dirty water and some household cleaner.

Again from previous threads "i only washed it last year" well that could be 18 months ago! In that you first washed it in March 2013 (prior to it's intended summer usage) and did'nt wash it again (which is when they "noticed" the roof was dirty!) until August 2014 (18 months, cosmic sums).

It is difficult for any of us (well you actually, as currently we are Eribaless!) to find time but I just bet you find it to watch the latest Big Brother, Love island or Corrie! all I did was forego the pleasure of watching these highly educational and informative programmes to clean our Eriba

Just in case some of you are unsure, most BUT not all of the above is meant tic (tongue in cheek)

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! Has an empty space where once a very polished Eriba stood😎
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 47 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3