RE: Towing with a 10 year old car

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:31 pm
by PooleDweller | 753 Posts

My VW Golf Estate car is 10 years old with 90000 miles on the clock. At my age it's a choice between will the car last for us to keep caravanning for as long as we wish or do we sell the caravan because the car has expired to buy another car. I'm told that if you regularly maintain a diesel engine it should last for 250,000 miles - that is providing the bodywork stays in tact!. I'm not tempting fate with what I think about the car other than to say a small fortune was spent on it a year ago and I wouldn't have done that if I thought otherwise..

2015 Eriba Triton 430GT pushing a 2011 VW Golf Estate DSG 2L Diesel
Randa france, FINNWOODY and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:04 pm
by FINNWOODY | 137 Posts

I tow our Pan Duo T with a 10 year old 1.6 TDI VW Polo.49,000 miles and previously loads of problems due to dodgy VW emissions.Has been Ok for 2 years after having two EGR valves in 12 months and other software work done by VW at their expense.It tows very well and is super economical when doing so but lacks the space which Randa mentioned.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:21 pm
by Rich_T (deleted)

Both ours are 13 years old, our vw caddy has 230,000 miles and out vw t5 is at 153,000. Both of these I'd happily take anywhere.
I recently sold my vw lt35 with 550,000 miles on and that was the same, I would and did take it all over the UK and into Europe.

Randa france and addisb like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:47 am
by fishcultureman (deleted)

Almost feels like my old car has be reborn after reading these replies!

Randa france and FINNWOODY like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:29 pm
by Angie and Steve | 165 Posts

If it's any help I think there is no need for concern. As long as your car is well maintained you will be fine.
We have towed our Familia all over the place (UK and Europe) with a Peugeot 405 deisel estate for years and it was been absolutely 100% OK. How old was our Peugeot? Oh... just 26 years old and 276,000 miles on the clock and is still going strong with its new owner.

Steve.

Without music, life would be a mistake.

Randa france and FINNWOODY like this post!
Last edited Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:31 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:48 am
by Tin Head | 49 Posts

Like a lot of people on here our car has covered over 100,000 and runs like a dream ( Mercedes E280 2008 ) tows our Troll easily too much power at times !!
Will only change it if it gets too expensive to run but we look after, it service it regularly and we hope its ok for a few more years yet.

Martin & Jackie, Mercedes E280 Saloon with our 542GT 60th Edition ( Bluebell )
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:29 pm
by fishcultureman (deleted)

Update: Yep, must have suspected all along that my 10 year Volvo was about to pop somewhere - Power steering rack packed in yesterday. Barely got it to the mechanic. Very large bill coming. It is a great towing car for the Pan though, so have to bite the bullet.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:03 pm
by Stan Doori | 214 Posts

Sorry to hear that fishcultureman. Do feel for you. A few years ago I lost the clutch on my V70 while towing van back from Scotland. A trouser flustering £1100 bill. But hey! I had a Volvo with a new clutch and that car went on to do another 100000 miles. You'll still have a great car when you get it sorted.

Thought for the day - hmmm......
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 16 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105785 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4