Towing with a 10 year old car

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:48 am
by fishcultureman (deleted)

I find myself looking at my old 2010 Volvo S40 2L diesel and wonder if it's time to move on to something newer with less miles. It has 112k on the clock now, but never towed anything until 89k. It tows our Eriba Pan with ease and has been well looked after (twice yearly services etc). On that, I would be interested to know what people's views are as regards continuing to tow with a 100k+ mileage diesel car. Are they really 'only just broke in at 100k'? Or do people here think a 100k+ diesel is heading fast to the scrap heap?

Scroll up

RE: Towing with a 10 year old car

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:22 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

If it's going strong and looked after all shoul be well. Only thing you would need to consider is what recovery/breakdown cover terms and conditions apply. For European cover you may have to pay considerably more.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:33 pm
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

Our Touran is now in it's tenth year 93,000 miles on the clock, all ours except for a few hundred and we have always used it to tow our Troll.

I constantly worry about its age but there again I'm not happy unless I'm worrying about something. If I had money to burn we'd probably go for a newer model but new cars are not as versatile. It's no secret that our Touran is a two seater when we are on vacation with the Troll and it has some enormous luggage space that allows us to carry a spare fridge and freezer as well as two bikes, camping table and chairs and lots more junk.

Yes, it's a dirty diesel yet it isn't one of the dodgy VWs that were launched a little later. Because of our financial situation it has to suit us and to be honest, it really does.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Terryc, FINNWOODY and cruickie like this post!
Last edited Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:37 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:53 pm

Sound advice re insurance breakdown cover. Finance is a limiting factor for us too, so It is heartening too hear that some are in the same boat as us.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:54 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

My Audi is 12 years old with 58,000 miles on the clock and it still looks and drives like new.

I don't think the age or mileage of the car matters so long as it has been well maintained with regular oil, filter and timing belt (including tensioner and water pump & coolant) changes.

Modern cars are built to last with some having long bodywork and mechanical warranties so it makes no sense to change them every two or three years as was customary in the 1960s and 70s.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
FINNWOODY and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:11 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Put your details into Autotrader "sell my car" and see what it's worth. You will probably find you may as well run yours into the ground and scrap it when it fails.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:33 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

My car is 50 years old next month.

July 2019-14.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Some are even older.

1997 Puck pushing a 1970 Morris Minor Traveller, sometimes a Pug 3008
campnsnooze, FINNWOODY and Shady Pines like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:52 pm

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #5
My Audi is 12 years old with 58,000 miles on the clock and it still looks and drives like new.

I don't think the age or mileage of the car matters so long as it has been well maintained with regular oil, filter and timing belt (including tensioner and water pump & coolant) changes.

Modern cars are built to last with some having long bodywork and mechanical warranties so it makes no sense to change them every two or three years as was customary in the 1960s and 70s.

Almost all of the above accounted for. Coolant change outstanding. I'm strongly leaning towards keeping the car now with a bit of Steve and Debbie's suggestion thrown in. Amazing to hear of a 50 yr old car towing an Eriba...or anything else for that matter

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:33 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

The engine should be fine. The weak point with the S40 lies with the cheap Ford bits like the clutch slave cylinder which is made of plastic and is only accessible when the gearbox is removed, at which point you may as well change the whole clutch and dual mass flywheel. We passed our 2012 S40 1.6D to one of the kids with only 54k miles and this happened after about 6 months. Fortunately son in law is very handy and replaced all the bits himself, but would have been a couple of grand at at garage.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:37 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

It was a lovely car though. Towed our triton back from AL, then one trip to Bath, but decided to upgrade our other car to a Kuga 2.0D

g47p3320-Triton-amp-Volvo-S-d.html

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:11 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Our Citroen C4 had done 160,000 when we had to move up, the only reason we moved on was we bought a heavier van and needed a bit more weight and power, otherwise we would still probably have her.

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
FINNWOODY likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:52 pm
by campnsnooze | 1.148 Posts

We run diesel cars as taxis ...we start scrapping around 320k - 400k depending if we have had problems. Full service every 8-9 weeks!!...so 100k, I would keep. Better the devil you know etc etc.....................

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:03 pm

Quote: campnsnooze wrote in post #12
We run diesel cars as taxis ...we start scrapping around 320k - 400k depending if we have had problems. Full service every 8-9 weeks!!...so 100k, I would keep. Better the devil you know etc etc.....................

Beginning to wonder why I was even worried in the first place! A few years left yet I reckon...with twice yearly servicing for this car :)

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:12 pm

Quote: eribanaut wrote in post #11
Our Citroen C4 had done 160,000 when we had to move up, the only reason we moved on was we bought a heavier van and needed a bit more weight and power, otherwise we would still probably have her.

I feel my initial change car worries dissipating fast!

Last edited Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:41 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:32 am
by sooty (deleted)

I pull my triton with a 11 year old skoda octavia estate,112000 miles on the clock. pulls like a dream 33 mpg and never had a problem .regular services plenty of oil filter changes.are the order of the day

Randa france, FINNWOODY and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 16 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105785 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3