Gutter strip?

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:15 am
by spam66 (deleted)

Good morning all. Newbie here. Bought a Triton 420 yesterday. 😃 After much research, I’ve ordered a Sunncamp Swift Verao 260 Van awning. I keep reading about gutter strips. I don’t fully understand what it is, or if I need one. Please could someone explain?

Many thanks in advance.
Sam

Scroll up

RE: Gutter strip?

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:37 pm
by Captain Calamity | 346 Posts

Sam

I believe the gutter strip is recommended for Kampa Pop Air awnings because they have an inflated arch next to the van which can cause pooling of water between the awning and the van. Having said that, we have a Pop Air and have never fitted the strip - doesn't seem to affect us. Looking at pictures of your 260 van awning, you may be OK anyway. Others may comment.

Enjoy your travels. Good choice with the 420!!!

Capn C

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:46 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.319 Posts

Sam,
when we have used enclosed awnings that are pulled up higher than the awning rail we have used a gutter strip. It does help a little.
When we use our Sunncamp Swift we do not bother. It is not worth buying one for this type of protection as it is not a fully enclosed awning so any gain you did make would not be noticeable. You need to think of this as a decent lightweight keep it in the van solution to rainy weather on short stays. Be warned it does make a fair bit of noise as the top flaps about a fair bit. You should be able to see what I mean in the attached photo. It was pegged and tied down correctly.
Pair it with a 3m Isabella Shadow for sunny times and you are covered for most events
5-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:44 pm
by spam66 (deleted)

Thank you!

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:44 pm
by spam66 (deleted)

Thanks, that’s really helpful info.

Last edited Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:45 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:07 pm
by NickR | 38 Posts

I have a Vango Bondi low awning for my 2003 Triton 420, which is quite good, as mentioned in other posts, but ponds in heavy rain. I have fixed that with an adjustable tent pole, pushing up the fabric and lashed to an existing fitting on the gutter. However, that creates a small valley, which leaks over the door. I will try a canvas sealant, but would also like to get a gutter strip. When I looked at Seals Direct's website I couldn't locate the correct product. A year or two ago, it featured in the forum, with a drawing section but the search engine doesn't find it. Help please.
Thanks
Nick

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:40 pm

Nick it should be the ETS1395. http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/pdf/ETS1395DR.pdf The link takes a while to open. I bought mine through there e-bay site.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:56 pm
by NickR | 38 Posts

Thanks Colin, I found the drawing, which relates to their catalogue. I guess that I need about 3.5m for the Triton.

Nick

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:02 pm

Nick, it is only available in increments of 1M.

Colin

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:05 pm
by NickR | 38 Posts

Of course!

Nick

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:10 pm
by devonmaid (deleted)

We have the Vareo and there is no need.

Eriba Pan pushing Volvo V70
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:39 am
by Wendron (deleted)

I found the equivalent strip in rubber which is bought by the metre from SealexCo Ordered one day arrived the next day at least half the price of others advertised. Brilliant service and quality would recommend £3.20 per metre

Hyundai Tucson pushing Guy Diamond our 2005 Troll 530gt
eribanaut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:19 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.120 Posts

Hi Sam

There is a lot of debate on the Forum re the Kampa strip. It is unpopular with some people as it can be difficult to fit on the awning rail when you first get it. Most people find an easy way to get it on and it goes on a doddle. Details of wys people do it is elsewhere on the Forum.

We have both the Kampa Pop Air and have just got the Swift 260 Vareo. We always use the strip with the Kampa because, as Colin says, it has a raised triangular piece of extra material and the strip helps to stop water running onto this material. Not everyone uses it and many people buy the rubber sealer mentioned above.

We put our strip on at the start of the season and leave it on all year, even if we are putting the Isabella Shadow Sun Canopy on instead. This is because the Kampa strip is a tight fit. Just watch out for leaves building up behind the strip and starting to block the gutter rail - this happened to us once in Kendal when we were under a tree and there was a violent thunderstorm that knocked leaves and seed casing off on the Troll.roof.

We are using the Vareo on site for the first time at the end of the month and I am thinking that I will put the strip on but we will see.Like Colin i think that because the Vareo doesn't have that extra height that the strip isn't really necessary.

Enjoy your travels.

MikeT

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12533 topics and 105724 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1