Troll 540 awning advice from a total newbie

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:31 pm
by Macca (deleted)

Hi all
We have recently bought a Troll 540, our first ever caravan, total novice.
I have been using my camper drive away awning, which fits on no probs just does not seem to have the usable space some awnings have when walking round campsite. We tend to just store stuff in there.

I’ve looked at a couple of awnings Isabella/walker and the Kampa air.

Any advice on which would work best for our needs.
1 usable space as additional room.
2 easy to erect/stow
3 good value for money
4 robust.

I know it’s all personal choice, but any to steer clear of, probs etc would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.

Scroll up

RE: Troll 540 awning advice from a total newbie

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:59 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.310 Posts

The first question has to be do you really need an awning?

We have always owned an awning but do not use it unless we are pitched up for a week or longer. Then again we don't have children with us or dogs.
A Fiamma Caravanstore [3.1m] or Isabella Shadow Sunshade [3m] offer excellent protection from sun and are both pretty good in the rain, the Fiamma particularly so. If you want someting to give a bit better weather protection then the open fronted Sunncamp Swift is good value at about £120. They also do an enclosed version.
If you must have an awning, and it is a model specific fit for your van, then the Fortex [£2,000+] and Unico [£1800] look fantastic and the Fortex is huge.[My favourite]
The more traditional Isabella and Walker are both excellent awings, but again not cheap.
Blow up options are limited but I favour the latest Kampa Pop Air Pro [you need a 365] for value etc.
When it comes to awnings I have only once bought new a full size model specific awning as they are all expensive. If you can get good second hand I would advise you go this route.
No awning is quick and easy to erect, but I believe with a pair of helping hands to guide lift and pull all can be well set up in about 30 minutes with practice. The air awnings come into there own when it comes to taking them down and you don't have a falling pole hitting your van scenario, but they are heavy to initially get into the awning rail.
If you use the search facility you will find lots of good info and loads of pictures.
When you have decided what you want, new or used, put out a wanted post as somebody will usually know of one for sale or the cheapest dealer at present.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

likes this post!
Last edited Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:33 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:21 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Hi Macca

I was going to respond but Colin has nicely summed up most of what I would say.

We have four awnings that we use in different circumstances. The fourth has just come the Suncamp Swift Vareo 260 awning version of Colin's Canopy but we haven't used it yet in battle so can't comment on how good it is in use.

As you have seen there are some truly lovely looking awnings out there. As in most things it is generally true that you pay for what you get. - and you can pay a heck of a lot for some.

I would say with some of the dearer ones and air beam types weight can be an issue. This is when you have got the cord into the awning rail about two thirds in and one of you has to take the weight of the end of the awning whilst trying to thread it into the rail.

Many people have an awning for long stays and then something like the Isabella Shadow Sun Canopy or the Suncamp Swift for shorter stays. We love our Shadow as it goes up in 5 minutes and even though it is a canopy you can usually find enough dry space for two of you to sit in.

I would say don't rush too much and have a good look around before you buy anything

Good luck

MikeT

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:51 pm
by Macca (deleted)

Thanks for response guys, lots to think about.
What I have noticed when on sites is I have awning envy 😂.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:37 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Macca

It can be quite a common disease but thankfully doesn't bring you out in a rash..............

When you see an awning you like go up and talk to the owners, to get their view. Most people are only too happy to talk about their vans & kit - especially us Eriba owners

MikeT

likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105666 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1