Tow bar height.

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:15 am
by RoofRaiser (deleted)

Another “rank amateur at this caravanning malarkey” question for all you experienced and clever folks.

We have just returned from our first outing with the Triton. Hitching up for the homeward journey of a very level surface I noticed the van seemed to be sitting a little nose high. We travelled home uneventfully, but I have now measured the tow bar height and it’s set at 48cms to the ball centre (50cms to the top). This seems a bit high to me and would explain some of the issues we’ve had hitching/unhitching etc. I see from a bit of googling that it should be lower, but Is it a problem I need to address for safety or legal reasons before we set off again in a few weeks time?. It is a removable swan neck type hitch so thinking we might be able to get a different one??

Our next trip is a 250 mile round trip, so want to make sure we’re safe, legal and in good shape before we set off. Thank you for any sage advice you can offer.

Scroll up

RE: Tow bar height.

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:20 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

The centre of the tow-ball has to sit at a certain height, but with the caveat of the vehicle being fully laden.When I collected a new VW Touran some years ago my 3 year old van sat nose up. This was due to me not having 600kg in the new car and the suspension having settled a little on the van.
The outfit towed very well, as does my less slightly nose up Triton behind my current Audi A3. You main concern should be correct weight distribution in the van to run at a suitable noseweight. I have found across 4 Eribas my ideal is about 55kg.

Colin

"The EC Directive 94/20/EC states that the towball height should be between 350 and 420mm with the vehicle in the 'laden' condition."

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:57 am
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

tow bar height.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The problem is that drop plates are not necessarily legal and can void your insurance:-

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-toget...ng-drop-plates/

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:06 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:50 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Also you cannot swap the swan-neck for another that might do the job as that is also illegal. It is the complete unit that is type approved.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:02 pm
by RoofRaiser (deleted)

Ok, so we’re sort of stuck with the height of the bar then? I was thinking I could just replace the swan neck for a different one .... Definitely not thinking about a drop plate of any kind.

Thank you all for the insights. Such a lot to learn!!

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 54 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4