Front gas bottle locker project

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:04 am
by nick13 (deleted)

As part of my 1973 Pan Familia renovation project I am thinking of making a larger exterior front locker to replace the current small gas bottle locker. The reason for this is that I like to do a lot of wild camping so I need to be autonomous in power supply. In the colder months I use a 1000W generator to power my portable electric radiator, so I'm looking for more space to store the generator and a 20L jerrycan of petrol as well as the gas bottle. I intend to weld a new supportive framework in place of the existing bottle stand, and make an aluminium box cover to keep it all weatherproof.

My question is how much of an issue will adding this extra weight to the front of the van cause when driving. The 1973 Familia is very light and I've had absolutley no issues with it even in very windy conditions, but I've seen videos of what can go wrong with badly arranged weight distribution (!!!) so I'm wary of creating a hazard.

Given that I am always well within the van's weight limit (we travel light), my main concern is the added weight at the front and hence extra towbar weight. Could I simply counterbalance this out by storing more items inside the van towards the rear? The generator and fuel would weigh around 35kg, so I could easily place the same weight in water containers behind the axle to compensate. Any comments from any of you more experienced campers?

Thanks

PS As an aside, does anyone know why more recent Eribas have their gas bottle locker inside the van rather than outside on the front? Seems to me to unnecessarily take up internal storage space!

Scroll up

RE: Front gas bottle locker project

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:40 am
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Hi Nick,

Hmm I think the total additional weight that you have in mind is considerable. It is not a question of balancing the front weight with weight towards the rear, you need to consider the "pendulum effect" whereby the van will tend to oscillate with the road wheels as a fulcrum. In my view you could probably add another gas bottle and maybe the fuel can, but no more.

Have you considered a larger tow vehicle that could carry some of these items?

As for your PS - I suggest it it quite the opposite - the upper part of the more modern van is now longer (ie over the top of the gas bottle box, and I suspect aesthetics and stream lining were additional reasons?

HTH

Dave

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Familia 320
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:55 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

The critical issue is the noseweight, that is how much weight the coupling is putting onto the cars towball. If you read up in your cars handbook you should get a figure for this. Most cars today are about 75kg, which is probably what the caravans coupling is rated at. They may differ however and you must not exceed the lower of these.
To determine your present normal noseweight then oad the van as you would normally.
Get the van on a hard surface and lay a pair of bathroom scales on the ground below the hitch. If the ground is uneven put a piece of plywood underneath.
Pack out the distance between the underside of the hitch and the scales and then wind up the jockey wheel so the scales take the full load.
Make a note of what the scales say.
Next weigh everything you plan to put in the gas locker and estimate the weight of the materials you will use. Lets guess this is 40kg and call it W
Measure the distance from the axle to the centre of the where W will sit. Call this a.
Measure the distance from the axle to the centre of the tow hitch. Call this b.
Now the easy bit.

W x a divided by b = N [ N is the increase in Noseweight.]

You should now be able to add this to your normal noseweight and see if all will be fine.
If you are over by say 10kg then you can safely move things around in the van to compensate and know that whta you are planning to do is sensible.
I would image it would be OK as working this out on my Triton would alter the noseweight by 27kg

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

scouteralf and Stan Doori like this post!
Last edited Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:55 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:36 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

We have a blind Puck with an `internal` gas locker. Never thought of the reason until now, I always thought it was for asthetics. Maybe it's a weight issue as the kitchen is at the front. Maybe there's more space for a bike rack or is the `A` frame shorter? We have more space than we need as we have extra shelves in the wardrobe and under the sink, also an external water bottle.

Steve & Debbie

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:57 pm
by Stan Doori | 214 Posts

Just to reiterate the point about trying to compensate by putting items behind the caravan axle. It is very bad practice. A mate did this and came a cropper when descending a hill at 60mph. Use your car to store heavy stuff if at all possible.

Thought for the day - hmmm......
Sportique likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 47 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1