Both taps in 540 suddenly leaking..............................

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:01 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Our 2016 540Gt is going in for service next week and then we are going away in it. We haven't used in since end of November when I did the usual drain of the water system before its winter coverage.

Today I decided to do the usual pre-season wash out and sanitising & sterilising of the water tank and system. Everything seemed to be going as normal and I got water through the taps ready to leave overnight to sterilise.

Suddenly I noticed water running out of the body work above the steps. It seemed to be leaking above and below the tap. Then I checked in the bathroom and under the bathroom cabinet was also wet.

I quickly drained the system and tank but more water leaked from the sink tap. I got a torch out and closely examined both taps but couldn't see any defects, just water running down the pipes.

This feels really strange as everything was OK when I stored it at the end of November

Thoughts in my head are:

1. Has the long lack of use effected the fittings?
2. Is it just pure bad luck for them both to go at once?
3. Are new fittings going to b very expensive?
4. Or as usual have I done something daft?

As I say fortunately we are taking it to ALV in Tebay for its annual service and so I will ask them to fettle whatever is wrong.

Has this happened to anyone else or has anyone got any suggestions/

Cheers
MikeT

Last edited Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:03 pm | Scroll up

RE: Both taps in 540 suddenly leaking..............................

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:49 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Mike,
the only thing that springs to mind is the dreaded frost splitting the body of the taps or the fittings below. If this is the case then fittings will be £'s but taps could quite easily be £80 each for the parts alone.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Last edited Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:51 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:50 pm

As above

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:50 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:51 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: SOULBLUESMAN68 wrote in post #1

1. Has the long lack of use effected the fittings?
2. Is it just pure bad luck for them both to go at once?
3. Are new fittings going to b very expensive?
4. Or as usual have I done something daft?

1. Probably - frost damage, or the O ring seals could have shrunk.
2. Bad luck normally comes in threes, so be thankful you only have two taps, Mike.
3. From ALV? Definately!
4. Your biggest faux pas is running water through those Reich plastic taps - they're just not designed for that sort of abuse

If the leaks were confined to below the worktops then the problem may have been due to faulty O ring seals in the pipe connectors - but from what you say, that's not the case.

I replace leaky taps all the time - although not necessarily in the same caravan

Last edited Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:14 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:36 pm

Hi John

The bit about bad luck running in threes..............................I'd used the hose to fill the tank and both K & I thought we had turned it off. We hadn't and as I picked it up to put it away the fitting flew off soaking me in cold water. Does that count as the third?

MikeT

eribanaut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:39 pm

Hi Colin

I wondered about that but I am careful about draining everything before I put the winter cover on. Perhaps I didn't do it as well as previously.......?

I was shocked at how flimsy the tap fittings were when I started playing with them after the leak.

Cheers
Mike

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:10 pm

Mike,
I've fitted an isolation switch on the pump of my on-board tank. I leave the van hooked up and the 12v electrics on, but I have have the taps open and all valves aswell to mimimise the chance of frost damage. This would be highly unlikely with my van in the garage but the first year of owniership it was stored outside, admittedly under cover but snow and frost was about.
P1030064-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:06 pm

Hi Colin

Like the plants in front f the van. Can you just get in the van with that width? Doubt if I'd fit down the side!

My next door but one has a BW Box that he keeps at the side of his bungalow and he does something similar to you in winter and has a small oil-filled rad with a thermostat turned to just above freezing that kicks in when the temp drops.

I wouldn't normally tell him about my taps as he would tell me again about his winter preps. However the poor lad has just come out of hospital after an operation to remove his prostate went wrong and he has been kept in for nearly a month with an infection - telling him about my woes will be something that will cheer him up and make his wife's life easier. He always asks me when I will be getting a "real " or a "big boys" caravan

As to the taps I think I will just put myself in the hands of the mechanics at ALV...........

Mike

Last edited Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:07 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:20 pm

Quick update. I have spoken to Mike at ALV (Service Manager) and he said that in their experience it is nearly always frost damage that causes the taps to leak as I described it to him (especially as it was both taps). We will see what they find when it goes in on Thursday.

K and I were puzzled as we always have the cover on and drain the system in winter. Then we remembered that we took our cover off as spring came, like many others on the Forum did, A few weeks later we had some sudden heavy frosts which she remembers as it did for some of her plants. Didn't think of putting the cover back on or even putting some low level heat into the van.

This may be an expensive lesson for us. We will see what Thursday brings.

MikeT

Last edited Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:21 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:40 am
by Derekcbr (deleted)

I have had to replace the tap spout in the ‘kitchen’ of my Troll a few times. You can get a replacement spout from caratech for about £14.00. Take a look at their prices they are very competitive. Just search ‘taps’ or ‘Reich Mixer Tap Spout’

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:45 pm

The day of reckoning came on Thursday at ALV and it was a very expensive one.

Both the kitchen and bathroom tap were frost damaged and replaced by two brand new Reich taps -OUCH.

Will be very careful to make sure that this doesn't happen next winter. Unfortunately we live in the bottom of a valley and we are prone to sudden ground frosts at the strangest of times. For next year I will leave the winter cover on until the very last minute before we go away.As the van is near the side of the house fix up some heating with a thermostat to kick in before anything hits freezing.

I will also need to check that I am thoroughly emptying the system. In the Eriba Handbook it mentions blowing the last bit of water out with air - does anyone actually do this?

A poorer but hopefully wiser MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:00 pm

Mike,
I don't use an air-line, but in addition to the pump isolation switch I do open up taps and all valve before leaving site on our last pitch of the year. The aggitation of the van travelling over bumps in the road etc must help in draining down any air locks etc in the system and getting as much water out as possible.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:07 pm

Cheers Colin - that is a really imaginative suggestion that I will also start to apply. As you say the bouncing must help to shift stubborn remaining water.

Mike

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:56 am
by Pudelwagen (deleted)

Some taps appear to be designed to hold water in the most vulnerable part with regards to frost damage! I always remove the water pipe from the water storage container and blow up it with the taps open to displace as much water as possible.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:58 am
by Derekcbr (deleted)

Get a balloon, blow it up and then put it over your tap. Open the tap and let the balloon expel its air. It’s enough pressure to blow out any water without damaging the system.

eribaMotters and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 40 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1