Scraped the bodywork while parking. Nooooo

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:14 am
by smoothrider (deleted)

So after deciding that i was over worrying about reverse snaking in a double turn up a hill on a busy traffic light junction to park on my drive, I managed to scrape all down the side of my eriba. It hasn't penetrated the panel so I am guessing I am still watertight. It has left an indent where the stone pillar on my drive has battle scarred her. I am guessing the panels are aluminium so i don't need to worry about rust. However it would be good to get it repaired if possible.

I am happy to travel anywhere to get it sorted. I am not even sure it is possible to fix.

My first thoughts are jandi (i will contact them later).
I can see on the forums that spitfire garage on the south coast are good. (They seemed to have fixed a flat bodywork panel where mine is the classic bobbly type.)

Does anyone have any other suggestions to repair the damage? If I can't find a solution I am thinking of some kintsugi repair where i mount a laser cut eriba logo over the damage. Hoping i can fix it properly though.

https://addpics.com/files/thumbs/vjj-1-6860.jpg

Last edited Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:31 am | Scroll up

RE: Scrapped the bodywork while parking. Nooooo

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:38 am
by fishcultureman (deleted)

Hello, sorry to hear of the damage. If the panel is a smooth surface (not dimpled), then I would be looking at getting it filled, smoothed and resprayed. Fillers are available specifically for aluminium surfaces. A good bodyworks should be able to pop/pull these dents out to limit the filling. There are various experts on here that could advise you on the colour if need be. All this depends on the model of course.

Last edited Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:43 am | Scroll up

RE: Scraped the bodywork while parking. Nooooo

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:33 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

Can I suggest that you use the 'Attach file' button below to add your picture as this will make it much easier to view.

From the thumbnail I can see, it looks nasty. Commiserations.

Keep us updated on how you get on with the repairs. I have no experience of repairs to the textured finish.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:35 pm
by Derekcbr (deleted)

You don’t say where you live! I did a similar thing all down the o/s of my Troll not just a scratch but a deep gouge too! Argh it was a hundred mile scrape i.e. my wife didn’t stop calling me all the names she could think of for at least 100miles. I’ve had it fixed locally by superb body refinishers and you just cannot tell where I’d damaged it. I was really well pleased although it did cost a fair few pennies. If you live near North Wales I can tell you the name of these excellent repairers. My email is: derekjones849@btinternet.com. I can promise you as a retired garage business proprietor you won’t get a better service

Scroll up

RE: Scrapped the bodywork while parking. Nooooo

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:45 pm
by smoothrider (deleted)

it is dimpled unfortunately. I am guessing this is harder ;)

Sparks likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:49 pm
by smoothrider (deleted)

Here is a better photo. It didn't allow me to attach and only gave me an option to upload in german.

https://ibb.co/dP0NKMM

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:17 pm
by Derekcbr (deleted)

Smoothrider, my damage was worse than that!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:42 pm
by smoothrider (deleted)

i was going to like that comment but feel bad. ;) I do feel pleased that they fixed much worse damage. Did they manage to blend colour and texture. (ie was yours a classic dimpled one?) I emailed you earlier for the details. I am very interested if they can get me back to not looking at it and internally crying

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:56 pm
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Likewise me with your comments Smoothrider. I bet many will join me in wishing you good luck in getting the repair done. Very expensive though, I guess it probably can't be pulled out because aluminium doesn't dent, it stretches.

As Brian (Aaron Calder) suggested above, if you could let people know of your rough location they may be able to suggest someone close by. The type of places you need to look at are garages who look after rally cars and the like or a van and lorry coachbuilder.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:08 pm
by smoothrider (deleted)

Many thanks for the support Randa. I am based in Bristol most of the time but work online so live all over the country the rest of the time from Scotland to Cornwall. I travel london way a lot too. So it really doesn't bother me where it is to be fair. I will look for the type of places you recommend. many thanks

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:26 pm
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Well probably the team that has had the most recommendations for Eriba repairs are these guys:- MPH Motors Congleton. Chassis repairs

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:28 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:22 pm
by fishcultureman (deleted)

Yes strictly speaking aluminium isn't pulled as it has no memory, but it can be 'pulled' using an aluminium dent pulling welder and studs. I would go with the above recommendations

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:24 pm
by smoothrider (deleted)

Thanks Randa, i have dropped them a message. Any other suggestions gratefully received

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:05 pm
by Derekcbr (deleted)

I’ve tried to give you some recommendations but to no avail so please go with what you think is positive. Got no email from you so I hope you get your van fixed well. Stay safe and well, D.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:45 am
by smoothrider (deleted)

Hi Derekcbr, I sent it yesterday. My guess is went into spam/junk. I have resent it. many thanks

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 52 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4