Solar panel socket

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:56 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Solar panel socket.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Hi, all, I have just noticed a socket point on the fuse board in our 2019 530 60th ann. Is it for the obvious ? Can I just buy a solar panel and plug it in here and this will then charge the battery ? Then where do I drill a hole for the cable ? Through the floor and then seal around ? Very exciting as I really like the idea of using solar power and not being reliant on EHU. Thanks in advance for any help or guidance offered, Robbie.

Last edited Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:59 pm | Scroll up

RE: Solar panel socket

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:14 am
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: GT runner wrote in post #1
Can I just buy a solar panel and plug it in here and this will then charge the battery?
Unfortunately not, Robbie.

The output from a solar panel is around 21V and this needs regulating down to a specific voltage to charge the leisure battery. To do this requires a solar controller connected between the panel and the Schaudt CSV409 charging unit (what you call 'the fuse board').

Last edited Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:15 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:05 am
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Thank you John. Can I connect a solar controller to that socket. The kit I was thinking of buying states it come with a solar control unit.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:34 am
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: GT runner wrote in post #3
Can I connect a solar controller to that socket?
Yes.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:25 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Thanks again John. I will start to progress the solar project. I guess I can buy a female connector for the socket on the blue box ?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:12 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Yes you can - the connectors (housing plus pins) are TYCO Mate-N-Lok series.

You need the 3-way - the centre pin is not used.

Apuljack Engineering supply the solar connector for Schaudt Electroblok units, although you'll need to confirm the pins are the correct gender for the CSV 409.

You might want to buy a couple because unless you have the correct extraction tool you won't be able to easily correct any mistakes after the pins have been crimped and inserted into the housing.

Alternatively, you could ask them to assemble a length of cable with the connector on one end, and terminated at the other with bootlace ferrules to connect to the controller.

Last edited Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:36 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:50 am
by monoboard | 352 Posts

Does anyone know what colour wires & what order left to right to match up with the board as i'm asking the company mentioned to make me a plug up with wires pre cripped and im not with my caravan at the moment.

Last edited Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:52 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:39 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

You could either stick with Hymer's wire colour convention (brown 0V, blue 12V) or use black 0V, red 12V.

I doubt the electrons will mind either way.

Apuljack will be familiar with the unit to wire the connector correctly - just let them know it's for a Schaudt CSV 409.

monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:52 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

i spoke to them but the lady was unsure (i did send picture of the unit to plug in) and is going to get an engineer to contact me. i,m not with my caravan at the moment and it was just a case of which was positive and negative pins + your not going to have an earth. I will probably have to go with my Fluke multi meter to check as i was going to get them to put 3ft of wire on the plug

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:35 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Here you go, Mono - saves you a trip to your van

SolarConnector.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:54 am
by monoboard | 352 Posts

many thanks for that, I haven't needed a solar panel yet as the cl's i have used have had mains but i always like to be prepared & to be able to be self sufficient. I have a solar panel from many years ago and saw the link on the post for the custom plug and thought it would be rude not to get one @ £3 pound something + vat, no doubt a little extra for crimping some flex in but its got to be better than multi wires on to the battery !

Last edited Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:19 am | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 33 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105771 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2