Triton 418 or Troll 550.... or something else?

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:25 am
by Totoro (deleted)

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and to caravan owning, so please bear with me if I'm asking obvious questions!

My wife and I (with 2 kids who are 5 and 7) have decided, after many years of staying in bungalows, lodges etc. on campsites (and having borrowed our in-laws VW California) that we want to start caravaning. After much research we are quite settled on something from the Eriba Touring range. I love things which are functional, beautiful and well-made and these caravans really seem to tick that box. We live in northern Spain so we have lots of exploring opportunities close by in France, Spain and Portugal.

We have looked carefully at the range. the only 4 berths are the 418 or the 550. I know that when the kids get bigger they can sleep in the awning, but for the time-being we need to all be together. At first we were not bothered about the lack of toilet in the 418, but I'm beginning to have second thoughts. The 550 has more space, but the seating area seems small for 4 people.
Does anyone have any thoughts on which would work better for us?

Additionally, we have been considering the following "extras", and it would be great to have some opinions from people who know!
1. Is the GT option worth it? I really like the sleek metal finish and some of the additions look useful. Are there any up/downsides to consider?
2. What is the antiskid system and is it worth it for 1010€?
3. Is the spare wheel + bracket worth it for 300€?
4. Am I right in thinking that all Eriba Touring caravans have a side hatch for easy access to the storage space under the bed? If yes, is there any real advantage of having a second one?
5. The electric "mover" is 2990€. I understand that I could get another one fitted instead for around 200€. Any thoughts?
6. Is an outside universal awning socket useful? It's 270€.
7. What is the Premium jockey wheel and is it worth it?
8. Is the stone guard protection worthwhile? It's 195€.

I have never driven a caravan before and I must say that I'm a little nervous about it. My feeling is that these caravans are probably going to be some of the easiest to tow. Any words or reassurance, tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for any feedback. It's all appreciated.

Neil

Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Triton 418 or Troll 550.... or something else?

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:50 am
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Hi and hope that you find what you are looking for .

Tom and Margaret

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:29 am
by marmite | 400 Posts

Hi Neil

We bought a 418 in 2007 when our boys were 10 and 8. We needed a 4 berth and a troll was just beyond what we could a) fit on the drive for home storage and
b) afford.
The boys slept in the front double until well into their teens when we evicted them as they were out and about until after we wanted to go to bed.
The loo issue solution was to have a small thetford porta potty which lived either in the awning if it was up otherwise it fitted in the gangway between the kitchen and the wardrobe. It was fine for overnight emergencies in either position, during the day it went outside into the awning or in the front offside bed locker.

Seating in the 418 is about the most generous you can get, our lads set up the front end of the van as a gaming station with all sorts of stuff which meant that the whole of the rear dinette was available for us. In due course they went to sleep in the awning but the large double dinette still came into its own.

Provided your family is not too shy about having to use the loo during the night if it is in the van rather than in the awning I'd go for the 418 every time the storage available is huge (much more than our current 540) and the payload is one of if not the highest available.

I'm not sure if the 550 is available as a double dinette as an option instead of the fixed bed arrangement, if it is that may be the way to go if you are buying new. For four people in an Eriba I feel that the fixed bed option would feel very cramped unless you lived and ate mostly in an awning, it depends on the season. Are your family summer only campers or do you intend to get out and about all year round, Eribas are toasty warm all year round.
As regards options I'm not really an expert , you need Colin for that, but a retro fitted mover would I feel be necessary on a Troll and a stone guard on either.

Hope you can get exactly what you want, you need to go and sit in a few, with the children, to see how you all fit. Imagine a really wet day when one of them has a cold and you just want to hunker down in the van for the day. The children want to draw, the Mrs want to do a jigsaw and you want to whittle a stick how would you fit?

Denise & Phil

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:22 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

Welcome Neil,
I believe the 418 and 550 are both still available to order as twin seating areas, that is no fixed bed. I would however stick with the fixed bed as the greater height makes it more "bed like" and storage for bigger lightweight items is greater. The front dining area on both is doable as a squueze for 2 adults and 2 children if you had to eat inside, but most people try to eat out as much as possible. Also consider that in 3 or 4 years time the children will really want to be out of the van and into pup tents.
A 550 for me would win hands down over the 418 as you have the toilet, extra sink and in transit storage. We stand a pair of small stools and our waste bucket in there.

1. Is the GT option worth it? - I went for white and specked up the bits on top that I wanted to a near GT spec. The silver is nice but any slight mark shows up, more so than a white dimpled van. The van is also lighter by about 30kg I believe.
2. What is the antiskid system and is it worth it for 1010€? - A correctly loaded Eriba with standard AL-KO anti-sway coupling AKS 3004 and suitable car combination is very stable.
3. Is the spare wheel + bracket worth it for 300€? - I would not travel without one and I believ the majority of owners would agree.
4. Am I right in thinking that all Eriba Touring caravans have a side hatch for easy access to the storage space under the bed? If yes, is there any real advantage of having a second one? - I had the 2nd as a factory order on a fixed bed Troll when we had the boys with us. All the toys etc were kept on the other side and it did make life easier but it's not a deal breaker.
5. The electric "mover" is 2990€. I understand that I could get another one fitted instead for around 200€. Any thoughts? - A factory fit mover is EXPENSIVE. An aftermarket fit is still expensive but less that half the cost. You will however have to add in 12v electrics/battery etc that would come in the GT spec but you can order seperately as "52200 Autonomy package: 95 Ah AGM living area battery as well as charger with integrated booster 8)"
6. Is an outside universal awning socket useful? It's 270€.- I've fitted one inside the underbed locker so it can be accessed from the awning.
7. What is the Premium jockey wheel and is it worth it? - Expensive but I went for it. Advatages are wider rubber wheel that runs better and the built in gauge gives you an immediate idea of your noseweight. You do have to do a little calculation as the weight on the hitch will be about 20% lower
8. Is the stone guard protection worthwhile? It's 195€. - Yes. It will bget marked but shows up less than on the caravan skin whether smooth silver or white.

I have never driven a caravan before and I must say that I'm a little nervous about it. My feeling is that these caravans are probably going to be some of the easiest to tow. Any words or reassurance, tips or suggestions would be appreciated. - Don't worry. Get out onto a deserted car park and practiice. You soon learn when driving to think a few hundred meters ahead and I for one drive more smoothly.

General points :-
Do NOT buy and awning, get a sun canopy and assess things after a couple of breaks away. If you are staying put on a site for a week or more than I'm guessing you would eventuallu buy one, in which case the canopy can be used on the back of the van to store bikes and clothes airer under or for when you just have a short break.
Get the large on-board tank and water heater. The 5L electric only does the job unless you plan to go off grid a lot then could go for the Gas/Electric. Some others will be up in arms at the idea, but once experienced you would never have a van with cold only.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:24 pm
by Totoro (deleted)

Thank you very much for your replies. They are really useful. I'll be back with more questions in the near future, I'm sure.
Neil

Last edited Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:31 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:35 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

so many choices, have fun deciding.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:25 pm
by granddadgrape | 1.560 Posts

Liz & Alan
Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:04 pm
by Totoro (deleted)

My wife is pretty clear that there should be a fixed double bed. The extra storage, as commented on by Colin, is a bonus, but the real reason is that making and unmaking beds/table each day isn't really what we are looking for.

Denise/Phil asked about how often we are likely to use the caravan; given work commitments etc. I think it's likely to be 2 weeks at Easter, 2 or 3 in the Summer and maybe a handful of weekends in Spring and Autumn. With small(ish) kids, when we go away, we like to spend at least a week in a place so that they can settle in, make friends etc. so we won't be moving around every couple of days.We're in northern Spain, so the weather is a bit warmer and a bit more reliable than the UK. We're hoping to be able to spend a lot of time outside of the caravan and although we will heed advice about not buying an awning straight away, I think it is something we always thought we would do in the future to expand our livable space.

I think we are still leaning towards a 418, but I look forward to receiving anymore advice or thoughts about the type of caravan and/or "extras" that might help us make some decisions.

Has anyone had both a GT and a white Eriba and can comment on the pros/cons of both?
Many thanks again.

Neil

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:30 pm

I have owned 3 GT models and currently a white stucco. I have not however owned one of the current all silver GT models, only the previous white over silver. Visually this is still my favourite finish as it just suits the shape so well.
If ordering a van from new then when you get hold of the brochure you will see that a mix and match approach allows you tthe option to omit items such as the 2 utensil bags. You will find however find that most of the GT bits are actually useful additions.
If/when you do go down the awning route then a good search of psts will probably show you the barrel shaped Unico and Fortex are those best suited to the Eriba. The Fortex is huge and eye wateringly expensive. The Unico a very close second but smaller and cheaper. If you could go with something a bit smaller then the Kampa Pop Air is well worth a consideration at the far lower cost.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:55 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

Bed making is so simple in Eribas. No turning and flipping cushions like in most WWBs. I had the making up of two double beds in our 418 down to about 4 mins in total. Two duvets per bed one to lie on the other to sleep under easy peasy. or for added squishability a couple of the thinner duvalay toppers for the grown ups and one duvet over the top. Two duvalays and a king sized duvet fitted easily under one of the rear seats and the boys bedding went under the larger of the two front seats. Still feel that the larger seating arrangements will work better for four. A fixed bed will be more bed like admittedly but then it's just a bed isn't it? not very versatile. As an aside the 4 berth on the 418 is now an option it was standard when we bought ours.

Now that there are only two of us to go adventuring we traded up and bought a 540 Troll and whereas we often leave the rear made up as a bed and use the little dinette at the front of the van we still miss the large front dinette of the 418

Denise & Phil

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:16 pm
by Totoro (deleted)

Well, a quick update.
Having done all our research about what we wanted, we went to in to order our Triton 418 thinking that if we were lucky we might get it by June, only to find out that Eriba were not taking anymore orders in 2021! We are still looking to see if there are any 418s in other caravan agents here in Spain. There is one in Barcelona which ticks most of the boxes so we'll see.
Does anyone know if you can usually get things modified once the caravan has been built and sold, such as the stone guard protection or the extension to make the front bed into a double (not a single) etc.? I'm pretty sure that adding a bike rack isn't a problem.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts... and fingers crossed.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:06 pm

If money is no object then modifications to bring an in stock Eriba to your specification are possible, but it will not be easy.
I would advise that you are as flexible as possible on your choice of model to get the specification of extras that you need.
You may also have to travel or get a van delivered from another country. A 2 or 3 day return trip to collect a van should not be discounted and would seem insignificant considering the many years you could own your chosen van.
https://www.marktplaats.nl/q/eriba+418/
https://www.speurders.nl/overzicht/?no_q...query=eriba+418

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:18 pm
by Totoro (deleted)

Thanks Colin... and thanks for the website suggestions.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:35 pm
by Totoro (deleted)

Hi,
We've managed to track down a new Triton 418 in Barcelona (Autosumistres). It's a 2019 model - though the salesman says that the particular model ran until June 2020 with only very minor changes to what was included.
In principle it has a lot of the features we are looking for at a price we were expecting to pay.
However, it doesn't have two elements which I wanted to get your thoughts on;
1. It does not have the extension to turn the front bed into a double. They will not make any alterations in house, but they say that it should not be too complicated for a carpenter to make some sort of step as a substitute to the extension (see photo I have found here of a double bed extension on a 418 I've found online). An additional cushion would also be required, but that seems quite straightforward.
2. It also does not come with the stoneguard protection, which from what I've read on here and other places, is particularly recommended. It's about 200euros if you order it from the factory, but they are suggesting that it could be around 500-600 to order it now, ship it and fit it themselves.
Any thoughts on these two points?
Thanks again. Looking forward to officially being an Eriba folk in the not too distant future!

Eriba extension.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

eribaMotters likes this post!
Last edited Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:37 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:31 pm

I would take photos of the caravan into a vehicle body shop and ask if they can send somebody out to quote on the cut and fit of an aluminium panel. It would need to be bonded and pop [blind] riveted into place.

Colin

Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6