12v Supply while driving

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:49 pm
by smitton | 21 Posts

Appreciate that this may have been asked before but search didn't reveal an answer. I want an uninterrupted 12v supply while driving (to power a rear webcam (hooking into the reversing light supply is not an option).
Van is almost new with a CSV409 with no modifications other than factory fitted motor mover. Am I correct in thinking that the only 3 ports that are available for 12v supply while driving are the 3 ports on the extreme right of CSV409 (one of which is the fridge). Currently all 3 ports (+/-) are filled, can I piggy-back onto these supplies to get the 12v that I need?
If the answer to this is no, can you suggest a better option for a feed from the CSV409. I prefer to do it through the CSV409 rather than attach directly to the battery.
All suggestions welcome, and thanks, Tony

likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: 12v Supply while driving

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:02 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Take a +ve 12v supply from one of your interior 12v lights - preferably one near the rear of the van

Dave

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Familia 320
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:25 am
by Pudelwagen (deleted)

Can't see any harm in piggybacking off any of the 12V ports.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:28 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Hi Tony

As described in the CSV409 User Manual, all 12V consumers (internal lights, pump etc) are switched off automatically when the caravan is connected to the towing vehicle (the exception to this is the low-current feed used to energise the fridge’s control electronics).

Therefore you have two options as to where you can connect the camera:

1. The towcar's switched 12V supply which is available only when the engine is running.
2. The towcar's permanent 12V supply which is always available when the 13 pin plug is connected.

Both these options are high current so you'll need to install an inline fuse of 2 or 3 Amps on the camera's feed cable close to the CSV409.

My preferred supply option would be the permanant 12V connection - I wouldn't want the camera switching off if, say, the engine stalled, and it would be useful to view the image prior to starting up.

To ensure a good connection to the camera without compromising the high-current wiring you could use piggy-back crimp connectors.

CSV409 Connections to towbar and fridge element:

CSV409TowbarConnections.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Top pair of connectors - Fridge Element. Labelled KS-P (Kühlschrank-Patrone)

The next two pairs of connectors are referenced to the pin numbers on the 13 pin towbar plug:

Middle pair - pin 10 (+12V switched) & pin 11, its earth.
Bottom pair - pin 9 (+12V permanent) & pin 13, its earth.

Both are labelled AHK (Anhängerkupplung = Trailer Hitch)

Aaron Calder, rs540, highmiler and like this post!
Last edited Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:52 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:36 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Aha - knew the expert would be along, thanks John.

These modern vans you know ...

Shouldn't listen to this old f**t

Dave

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:59 am
by smitton | 21 Posts

JohnE,
Thank you for this solution and clear explanation. This will make the connection simple and I will be using an inline fuse and isolator as you suggest.
Appreciate your time replying to my question, Tony

Aaron Calder and Sportique like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:39 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

I put in a simple change over relay that was energised from the car's switched 12V. The realy common is a direct feed from the battery which powers the rear facing dashcam when connected to the car and the awning light when not connected to the car. (Stupid 2007 Triton that will only allow the awning light to work via EHU which I never use!)

ps. a few months after installing the dash cam I was rear ended in slow moving traffic. Even with the dash cam footage it took the other insurance company 3 months to admit liability.

The total length of time for the insurance claim and repairs was exactly 12 months!!!!

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual

Last edited Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:42 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:50 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Ray,

do you use the rear dash cam as a rear view mirror in the car - connected by wireless - or is simply a normal dash cam facing rearward and recording footage?

The reason I ask is that I am planning to fit a rear dash cam to the Eriba using wireless into the car, then when not towing I simply move the camera into the rear of the car and use it as a reversing camera - the only wiring being +/-12v cos signal is wireless.

Dave

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:00 am

No, just a permanent fixed dash cam. It was just a cheap one but did enough to help me out when rear ended.

I like the idea of wireless output. Will it get through the van OK?

How do you plan to view the output? Are you allowed to have a live output visible whilst driving?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:39 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Ray,

I don't think a wireless camera would have any problem with distance to the car dash- there are many in use on artics and commercial lorry/trailer combinations.

I had planned to view it live on a forward cam. display and had not considered that it may not be allowed - after all it is just a rear view mirror? There are cars available that use cameras instead of door mirrors.

The difficulty is finding a suitable model of camera at a reasonable price, at the moment there is not a lot of choice.

PS I have fitted wireless type pressure/temperature sensors to the van and they have no problem sending a signal to the receiver on the dash.

Dave

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:31 am

Good point about your proposed set up being a rear view mirror.

I've looked at the wireless tyre pressure transmitters a couple of times but have been put off by reports that the transmitters get stuck on the valves by corrosion and you can't get them off to pump the tyre up.

What make have you got and how long fitted?

Thanks.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:42 am
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Ray,

I had a similar problem with an earlier set of "manual" type tyre pressure monitors (red/green) and had to have new valves fitted.

So, lesson learnt, I only put them on when the van is in use.I have used them about 4 different occasions and so far no problems.

I will let you know the make when I can get into the van

Dave

PS Sorry we seem to have hi-jacked this thread ...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:52 am
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Ray,

here is the link for the tyre monitors (cheapo system)

Tyre Pressure/temperature monitors

Ray Lawrence likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:23 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

fuses.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Alternative is to stay away from CSV409 and wire in a (4 or) 6-way fuse carrier direct to the battery (and close to the battery). Then you have multiple 12V supplies.

Last edited Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:26 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 55 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0