Not as bad as I feared

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:10 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

but worse than I hoped... Especially posted for the usual suspects, you know who you are...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/duty-...om-january-2021

To save you ploughing through it, the salient points are...

New GB inbound personal allowances specified below. For example, someone will be able to bring three crates of beer, two cases of still wine and one case of sparkling wine to GB without paying UK duties.

Alcohol
42 litres of beer
18 litres of still wine
4 litres of spirits OR 9 litres of sparkling wine, fortified wine or any alcoholic beverage less than 22% ABV

mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Not as bad as I feared

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:49 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

I know who you mean and it's me. I am well and truly p@@@ed off. Next will be increased holiday insurance premiums, driving licence and permits fiascos. How do I apply for dual nationality? I'm not a happy bunny.

Colin

ps - what is the price of wine in NL compared to France as that is our first European trip next year [if allowed to go]
- I wonder what the tax will be on goods over and above the derisory, pathetic personal allowance our non European loving government is allowing.

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:02 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:02 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

Looking on the positive side, when travelling as a couple, each of you get the allowance, so a couple should be able to bring back 72 bottles of wine between them. I'll admit, that is less than we've all become used to. I certainly plan a pre-january day-trip to have a last hurrah, even though I will have to quarantine for 2 weeks when I get back...

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:05 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

Colin - I think the article gives an indication of what duty is payable on each bottle over and above the limit. It will be interesting to see how keenly the authorities actually enforce the new regulations...

Last edited Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:07 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:17 pm

I suppose the clue is in:-

UK excise duty will no longer be due on alcohol and tobacco bought when leaving GB. For example, alcohol purchased duty-free on the way to the EU could be up to:-
£2.23 cheaper for a 75cl bottle of wine.
£2.86 cheaper for a 75cl bottle of Champagne or Prosecco.
£2.28 cheaper for six 50cl cans of 4% ABV beer.
£11.50 cheaper for a 1l bottle of 40% ABV spirits.

So if these are the potential savings on goods bought for example on the boat on the way out then they could charge you these levels on bringing goods into the UK.
I've noticed spirit costs are fairly similar in France and the savings made on beer have not really made it worthwhile to bring back. My big purchase has always been wine as I like French red plonk. I had cut down from 50+ 3L boxes to 30+ now we are retired and moved, entertaining less than in our youth. It is still going to be an appreciable drop. I wonder how France will cope as I thought the UK was the second biggest consumer of French wine.

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:34 am
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #2

ps - what is the price of wine in NL compared to France as that is our first European trip next year [if allowed to go].

More bad news here Mr Motters. The Dutch don't drink much wine so you'll find their prices are as high as in the UK. Best take some with you for the choice is grim.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:28 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:17 am

I've started looking up Aldi and Lidl in the NL and a quick search shows they are a euro or two cheaper than UK.
The days where buying a years supply of wine to bring back are over. The savings made on doing this would have equated to ferry crossing.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:31 am
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

You'll need to move to Wales or Scotland to see the benefits of importing wine and spirits. We saved between £20 and £30 quid on a couple of bottles of whisky, gin and wine and that was only importing it from England to Wales
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Williebraveheart likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:23 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.464 Posts

It’s life Jim but not as we know it!
It’s going from bad to worse, first we can’t go to France and now they’re removing one of the incentives to go and now the sun has stopped shining. Think I’ll go back to bed ☹️

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
eribanaut, Magpie, FINNWOODY and mr_underhill like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:44 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Can anyone tell me what "tobacco for heating" is?. we use gas.

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Sportique likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:19 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.464 Posts

You pile all the ciggies in the middle of the room, set fire to them, sit close but DONT inhale 😂

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:21 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Ah, that'll be when you light up a fag, you can cup your hands around it to keep warm

Dave

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Familia 320
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:21 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Lets hope it doesn't force us back to the 70s & 80s when you went round to friends and they offered you their own home brewed wine as a welcome (of sorts)..........

No insult to people who could actually produce a decent bottle of the stuff (my dear old Dad's Rhubarb wine was much coveted) but I can remember smiling weakly as I tried to drink some truly vile concoctions offered to me..............!

MikeT

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105785 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2