Flaking Lacquer on plastic fairing and mudguards etc.

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:35 pm
by woodspoiler (deleted)

My external plastics are letting down the look of my 2004 Triton. So can anyone tell me the colour and type of paint that will adhere to what I presume is either PVC , ABS or something.
I’m sure this subject has been dealt with on here but be nice to know what members thoughts and advice might be once more also wether anyone has repainted them theirselves
I look forward to anyone’s thoughts and advice.

Scroll up

RE: Flaking Lacquer on plastic fairing and mudguards etc.

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:57 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

I took my 2001 Troll to MG Caravans in Royston in October 2019 to have the very chalky GRP roof and all the mudguards, rear light fixtures, and front towing deck
which were suffering from flaking clear lacquer topcoat. They repainted and it all looks like new again, though I have since been unable to show any other Eriba interested parties, due to not having been anywhere this summer.They told me they had carefully rubbed down the clear lacquer and reapplied a new coat of clear.
The white is Fiat Bianco 210 and the grey of the 2001 era is Chrysler Viper Silver = Chrysler USA 01 + PAG / VA viper silver.

Highmiler.Troll 530GT and Volvo V70 R AWD
and Eribanut like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:24 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

For the grey, I think the 'generic' colour is RAL 9007 though, of course, your van may have faded over the years, so a perfect match cannot be guaranteed. Certainly that was the case on my 2002 van...

hth...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:32 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

If you're intending to refurbish all the external plastics (A-frame cover, front fairing, front and rear light units and wheel spats) then you shouldn't need to worry too much about acheiving an exact match to the original colour.

And because I wouldn't trust myself to achieve a good enough finish with a handful of rattle-can paints, I'd be to inclined to take all those pieces off, clean them up and take them to be resprayed and lacquered professionally.

John Cross and Eribanut like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:29 pm
by woodspoiler (deleted)

Thanks and yes John E your right that would be the best way.
How easy are they all to remove if you don’t mind me asking any tips?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:26 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

I've never had the opportunity to strip the plastics off a 2001 van but it should be self evident on most of the parts.

Remove the lenses from the rear clusters and disconnect the cables - there may be fixings behind the lenses.
The front fairing may be fixed down with splayed rivet sort of things which you may have to drill out.

It's just a matter of getting under the front of the van to unscrew things until bits start to fall off

likes this post!
Last edited Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:38 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:10 pm
by Niv2 (deleted)

I’m contemplating a similar thing....the lacquer to the fairings to the front is lifting so in need of attention.
The fairings appears to be a sort of green colour but I gather the correct colour is RAL 9007, which is grey. Closer inspection reveals that the colour below the lacquer may well be grey and that the greenish colour is mainly uv degradation of the lacquer colour.
Can anyone shed any light on this....perhaps before and after photos?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:58 pm
by Ianrow | 50 Posts

Lots of info here if you search Wheel Arches, Laquer etc. I had some work done recently which included respray of the wheel arches. I didn't specify the colour but the finshed result is a metallic silver grey. See attached photos:

IMG_20200810_123350188_HDR.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
IMG_20200901_150410138.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2002Triton 420 GT & Ford C max 1.6TDI

likes this post!
Last edited Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:00 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:15 pm
by Niv2 (deleted)

Thanks......I have done a search and looked at the postings; that’s where I got the colour RAL 9007 From what you are saying, a metallic grey, which RAL 9007 is, is, indeed the original colour and the golden greenish colour is probably UV degradation.

Update. Probably answered my own question as have taken off part of the front fairing to reveal a section of paint that has not seen the light of day since 2004. This is grey in colour.
431D10B6-E9A3-4EF2-809A-A3285AE24D1B.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 D48B967F-FCF0-43C1-869C-B9A2B9FD764F.jpeg 

Eribanut and Ianrow like this post!
Last edited Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:17 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:43 pm
by sibillini | 236 Posts

If anyone is contemplating getting new fairings and wheel arches from Hymer because of flaking lacquer and paint discolouration on 2001 -2006 era Eribas, the current prices from the ever helpful Jean at Jandi are:

Front fairing: £212.00
Rear section: £426.24
Wheel arches: £258.36 (Pair)
Postage: £100 (the size and weakness of the rear section bumps it up)

Total: £996.60

All parts are now unpainted and so would require painting and lacquering on top.

I think I have a new autumn job rubbing down the parts but will probably get them professionally resprayed, I am not great with aerosol paint cans.

Charlie

2002 Eriba Troll 540 (Elsie) + Honda CRV 2.2 diesel
Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:33 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

If anyone is interested, I have the vast majority of a 2.5l can of the correct RAL 9007 paint (Cromadex) in 2 pack left from when I replaced the front fairings on my Troll.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:20 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

That's good of you Hugh. If you post your address forum members can all send their plastic bits over for a fresh paint job.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:06 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:58 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

Guffaw.....

Last edited Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:59 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 21 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1