Further thoughts on rear-facing dashcams

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:23 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Fitting a dashcam in the back window of our Troll is something that's crossed my mind from time to time - for all the obvious reasons - but I've never quite got round to it.

It crossed my mind again the other day while reading Mr RS540's whizzo thread about the stuff he's done to his Troll.

And then I remembered that I've got a spare camera I could use, along with a hardwire kit.

The main question was where to get the power from; it needs to be a car ignition-live feed - ideally it would be best if it was an engine running-only feed so there's no chance of any inadvertent battery-flattening.

So I wondered if there was any reason why I couldn't (or shouldn't) use a piggyback fuse tap on the 12V fridge feed at the BIP fusebox.

I don't have any particular qualms about using a piggyback fuse tap in general; I've used several on a succession of the family's cars, and thus far nothing has crackled, sparked, shorted out or burst into flames.

That feed is only live when the car's engine is running, so it should be just the ticket, and there are plenty of nearby places to get a decent earth.

And getting a cable from there to the back window is an absolute doddle in the caravan - the exact opposite of the equivalent journey in the car, one which requires the touch of a cat burglar and whole range of trim-removal tools if you're to avoid a screen-pillar airbag not doing what it should or a red-faced trip to the parts counter at the dealership clutching an expensive bit of plastic with all the clips bust off.

Have I missed a trick here?

If I use this method am I going to be towing a ball of fire down the M5 on our next trip?

rs540 likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Further thoughts on rear-facing dashcams

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:51 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

The 12V ignition feed (D+) you're after is also available on the front of the Schaudt Booster, Pete.

Just connect your camera feed to the D+ crimp connector on the Booster via an inline fuse.
The camera OV can be connected to the Booster aswell.

Last edited Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:56 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:53 pm

Quote: JohnE wrote in post #2
The 12V ignition feed (D+) you're after is also available on the front of the Schaudt Booster, Pete.

Just connect your camera feed to the D+ crimp connector on the Booster via an inline fuse.
The camera OV can be connected to the Booster aswell.

Thanks, mate.

No booster sadly, so we'll go with Plan A. Your way would be better if we had one, but one we do not have.

Fusing the camera feed isn't an issue using a piggyback tap though, so that's okay.

I'm reasonably confident that the plume of grey smoke over the far distant horizon to the south-south-east won't be me.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:46 pm
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #1
It crossed my mind again the other day while reading Mr RS540's whizzo thread about the stuff he's done to his Troll.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:38 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

I can't see the additional load on the 12V fridge supply being a problem. A dash cam's load is miniscule in comparison. I also use that source for my rear facing dash cam.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:31 pm
by campnsnooze | 1.148 Posts

P6220347.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P6220348.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P6220349.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

We use the 12v socket on the end of the light strip and clip the camera on the bottom of the fly net curtain. The camera is on a 2 hour loop with 5 minute segments. This is a Y I camera (as good as a Go Pro).

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:42 am

Quote: rs540 wrote in post #4

Never mind chortling away to yourself - I've got a serious question.

Is your camera's WiFi signal strong enough for you to pick it up in the car?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:07 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

Quote: campnsnooze wrote in post #6

We use the 12v socket on the end of the light strip and clip the camera on the bottom of the fly net curtain. The camera is on a 2 hour loop with 5 minute segments. This is a Y I camera (as good as a Go Pro).

I take it the camera is from Tyneside https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrwSDX95wCs

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
campnsnooze likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:02 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

campsnooze, I thought that the internal 12V circuits were isolated with a habitation relay when the caravan is connected to a towing vehicle?

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:27 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

Quote: Ray Lawrence wrote in post #9
campsnooze, I thought that the internal 12V circuits were isolated with a habitation relay when the caravan is connected to a towing vehicle?

I think I'm right in saying that the 12V system would still operate as normal, powering lights and pumps from the battery, which will be being charged by the car's alternator. If you have a recent fridge with a digital screen and interior light, they would be working too. However the actual refrigeration energy when switched to 12V comes direct from the car's alternator, not the van's battery. The other 12V systems within the van are isolated from the car and never run directly from alternator power. So if your van was standard spec., without battery and charger the lights and pumps wouldn't work and the fridge would have to be one that didn't have a 12V digital screen.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG

Last edited Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:29 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:33 pm
by campnsnooze | 1.148 Posts

Quote: Ray Lawrence wrote in post #9

Not a clue...all I know it works!!

Chris

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 30 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105783 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2