Land Rover Defender Tow Bar Height

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:18 pm
by Ronnie | 68 Posts

Anyone tow with a defender?
My tow ball height unhitched is 450 mm from the ground, 20mm too high I believe.
Does that small amount really matter?
Standard Land Rover tow bar on lowest setting.

Scroll up

RE: Land Rover Defender Tow Bar Height

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:09 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.315 Posts

Ronnie, this question comes up fairly often. Do not worry, 20mm will make no difference although level looks best
Full details here:- https://www.cbscentres.co.uk/news/76-get...owball-heights/
The problenm is the height is based on a fully laden vehicle and as yours may not be classified as a car I think it falls outside the regulations.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Ronnie likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:33 pm
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

30mm too high Ronnie but have you measured it unhitched? The spec does say it should be no more than 420mm in the laden condition.

What I don't get however is that the caravan in the laden condition should be higher than the tow car. I wonder if when they state laden condition they mean fully loaded but unhitched? I suppose the "and level" comment for the caravan does mean unhitched.

tow bar height.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Ronnie and 2eZero like this post!
Last edited Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:39 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:55 pm
by Ronnie | 68 Posts

Colin,
Thank you, I’m Eribaless looking for my 1st. Talking to a couple of sellers at the moment and just thought do I need to do anything about the towball height.
The vans I’m looking at are a few hours and miles away but on reflection I think I’m probably being over cautious. The towball will drop a bit anyway when hitched I suspect.
Thanks again
Ronnie

Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105698 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5