Towing Worries!

in We've got it down to a T Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:56 pm
by Tomandjerry (deleted)

Hello All

Thanks for adding us to this group.
We are the very proud owners of a 2013 Eriba Troll bought it in February and have had a great time this year when the rules permitted. Had a campervan for a few years which was nice but not nearly as good as our Eriba.

When we got the van I checked on what towcar info and it showed that our Fiat 500X 1.6 lounge was good match so I got a tow bar fitted and away we went. I have no experience of towing anything bigger than a small trailer.

It pulls fine and braking is good and on motorways you hardly know it is there but on your normal roads with the lumps and bumps you can feel it there a bit like a tail wagging the dog if that makes sense?

I was a bit concerned about this and have looked at the weights and am now completely confused! I also checked on the caravan club site and that says its not a good match and I'm breaking the law!

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Last edited Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:56 pm | Scroll up

RE: Towing Worries!

in We've got it down to a T Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:05 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Try this site, n average the're pretty good
https://www.towcar.info/
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:16 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.315 Posts

Welcome to the sticky issue of trying to figure out towing weights. Legally you have to stay under what the manufacturer states for your car, This should be in the owners manual and can also usually be found on the B pillar drivers side. The whattowcar website suggests all should be well, so I'm guessing that the information from the Caravan Club is confusing you due to the 85% guideline they use, which is NOT law. As somebody new to towing they advise the fully loaded van should be no greater than 85% of the towing vehicle weight.
The fact you have towed and generally felt all is well suggests things are correct. You mention with the lumps and bumps on the road you can feel it there. This in itself should not be a concern unless it is having an effect on the cars stability. Remember you have attached a big lump of metal to the back of your car and you will at times feel it.
One thing you can do is check the loading of your van and the noseweight. This is the force pushing down on the cars towball through the caravan hitch. On firm ground rest a stout bit of wood under the hitch and rest the other end on a pair of bathroom scales. See what it says in Kg. Your car/towbar combination will have a max that you are not legally allowed to exceed. I would imagine it is about 75kg. You also do not want to go low and I would suggest 50/55kg will probably feel best.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france, SOULBLUESMAN68, and like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:58 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.118 Posts

Hi T & J and welcome

I need to start by saying that I am not a technical person and no expert. We have a Troll 540 which we towed with a Skoda Scout 150 BHP 4x4 Estate for 3 years and it was solid as a rock, and as you say at times you don't know that it was there behind you

We then changed cars to a Skoda Karoq Scout 4x4 with the same engine. Whilst it was just as good on motorways it felt much more bouncy on A roads - for example on Marine Drive going into Southport. I wondered if it was because it is a shorter & higher. I put it on my Milenco nose weight gauge and realised that it was probably a bit light for my new set up - see Colin's post above.

On our last trip I increased the nose weight, still to well below it's maximum, and it felt much more stable on the bumpy roads. It might be that your Troll might benefit from a slightly higher nose weight - but please remember that I am no expert.

Good luck

MikeT

scouteralf and like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:24 pm
by Tomandjerry (deleted)

Thanks for the tip

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:25 pm
by Tomandjerry (deleted)

Very helpful thanks

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:26 pm
by Tomandjerry (deleted)

Thanks Mike, have got myself a Milenco so will check it before I tow again.

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:42 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

By the way, for anyone checking on tow car/caravan matching.

The diagram in C&CC December magazine (page 79) is TOTALLY wrong and if followed will result in a dangerous mis-match.

The C&CC are aware of this error and have published a corrected diagram in the digital version of the magazine, with a correction to come in the next isue..

Dave in

Dave & Taka
Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Familia 320
Poptop320, SOULBLUESMAN68 and like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 15 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105701 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0