Breakdown cover

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:34 pm
by Captain Calamity | 349 Posts

Just received my renewal from Green Flag Recovery) who have increased their premium. Called to explain that as travelling has been somewhat curtailed (particularly overseas travel) I was hoping for a reduced premium. I was informed that because I had taken out the CMC branded version they were bound by CMC rules and could not negotiate. Researching online, I found Greenflag cover (UK only) for one quarter of the cost. I’ve checked and the I can get get exactly the same cover for £74 (European - CMC standard cost) and £22 (U.K). What am I missing here?

Scroll up

RE: Breakdown cover

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:05 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

I don’t know anything about Green Flag so this may be totally wrong. My only thoughts are that the club will have negotiated cover for the caravan breaking down either attached to or away from the car which normal breakdown cover doesn’t cover. Also repatriating the van which again may not be covered through the non club negotiated cover. If that’s not the case then at the risk of maligning the CMC it’s a rip off, if the cheap cover does all that go for it.
May be showing my total ignorance here, is Green Flag just for the car in which case ignore everything I’ve just posted. 🤔

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+

Poptop320 likes this post!
Last edited Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:07 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:17 pm

Green flag (both policies referred to) cover car and caravan. When I pressed the Green Flag rep he did his best to say shop around without actually saying “shop around”. I now have Green Flag cover for £22 - UK national cover - and when/if it becomes sensible to travel abroad again I’ll upgrade. The daft thing is I wouldn’t have investigated if they hadn’t increased the premium!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:33 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.325 Posts

I just found this on there website, https://www.greenflag.com/breakdown-cove...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

"With Green Flag you get all the benefits of our standard breakdown cover for any caravan or trailer you’re towing (up to a weight limit of 3.5 tonnes and size limits of 7 metres long, 3 metres high and 2.55 metres wide.) This way you’re fully covered on any campsite within the UK. We have a massive range of recovery vehicles available so that if we can’t repair your caravan or trailer at the roadside, we can get you, your car and your caravan or trailer moving again in no time."

I've just been quoted £78.40 for two cars, UK, home start, onwards travel etc For Europe it would be £136.
When comes to renewal time I'm going to look into it in more detail.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
marmite likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:52 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

The Mayday Green flag covers the van without the car, I have used this facility. My Eriba brakes were overheating. The Mayday mechanic came to the site I was on, he didn't have a oneshot nut to access the drum however he said that if I couldn't get it fixed by a mobile caravan mechanic he would trailer me home at the end of the holiday. The same service applies if you are on your way to a site and your car or van breaks down. They will take you to your destination and then bring you back if it cannot be fixed. I doubt very much if a car breakdown policy will cover those scenarios.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:19 am

However some caravan policies (Caravan Guard is one) do cover exactly that scenario. My point is that to get the best value overall cover avoid tpoverlapping policies.

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 15 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105771 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1