Interior Spruce Up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:06 am
by Randa france | 12.881 Posts

The inside walls and poptop ceiling of our Eriba are a matt off white finish but the roof especially, is showing it's age.

Has anyone used household paint to spruce up thier interiors? I am thinking of a satin finish bathroom off white emulsion but I'd be grateful for your comments/advice.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

RE: Interior Spruce Up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:50 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #1
The inside walls and poptop ceiling of our Eriba are a matt off white finish but the roof especially, is showing it's age.

Has anyone used household paint to spruce up thier interiors? I am thinking of a satin finish bathroom off white emulsion but I'd be grateful for your comments/advice.

Randa
Artex.

There are some pretty snazzy ideas here.

Number four is a popular choice with caravanners. Very stylish.

and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:57 am

Nice idea Pete but I was thinking of going over the first coat with something Sisitine like so the shell type artex might be a bit too lumpy to overpaint.
R

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:01 pm

Cherubs. Can you do cherubs?

Lots of rosy little cheeks to look at while you're in there.

scouteralf likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:04 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.324 Posts

Roger,
You obviously you need to clean the surface first to kill grease etc. I'm wondering if you used an ammonia solution this might give you the desired results on the ceiling without resorting to a repaint.
If painting was the way forward then an all surface or melamine and ceramic tile primer would stick, before using a 4" roller and a water based eggshell. Water based is easier to apply, dries quicker and will not fade or discolour with time.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:47 pm

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #4
Cherubs. Can you do cherubs? Lots of rosy little cheeks to look at while you're in there. .

Cherubs and Putti? Oh yes, as long as you model for me
R

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:52 am
by Kam | 139 Posts

Sticky back plastic with a grained effect?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:42 pm
by Stan Doori | 214 Posts

Dulux Diamond Matt emulsion is excellent and would be suitable. I've had excellent results with this paint. It's not cheap - about £47 for 2.5 litre tin - but is extremely tough, scrubbable paint. Probably the best available emulsion. Brewers do it in many colours or ask for it in your decorating shop.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:05 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Zinnser Bullseye 123 is a good allround primer / stain blocker which can be applied direct to varnished wood and plastics. I have used this to cover UPVC, polyeurathane sealer, wood and metal on our boat. Toolstation seems to be the cheapest https://www.toolstation.com/zinsser-bull...er-paint/p95233 at about £14 a litre. B&Q want £22 a litre. Screwfix do a 2.5L for £29.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Randa france and eribaMotters like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:53 am

Thanks Steve. That looks good. I wish to paint the inside surface of the poptop which is what? Hardboard? I don't know but over the years it has become a little stained and tarnished. It still has its off white appearance but shows stains that look like damp although they are dry.
The stain is around the edge (where the canvas folds up) and also three 30mm strips across the width of the roof (presumably where there are support bars in the roof section.
I woder if its years of condensation bleeding the natural colour of the roof board where it touches the hidden framework.
I'll try and get a picture posted later today.
Randa

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:13 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

I imagine that the poptop liner is some sort of fibreboard with a vinyl foil. That's what ours looks like anyway. If the underlying board is discoloured it would probably show through the foil as a different shade. I am sure a primer and a couple of coats of emulsion should sort it out.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:45 am

Thanks Steve. Here's a pic that I've just taken.

Nothing feels damp but the red arrows show the stains while the blue arrows are not stain but deep shadow.

roof.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:50 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Interesting. Do you have a damp meter? This would confirm that the board is not damp behind the decorative layer. If you press your thumbnail against the surface is there any difference in hardness between the shaded and non shaded areas? This may also indicate a problem with the substrate.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:09 pm

No, don't have a dampmeter Steve but I'll have a poke about tomorrow with my thumb nail..

Also I might invest a couple of quid in a damp meter. The van doesn't smell of any damp but who knows.

Randa

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:16 pm

I'm well impressed by how neat your arrows are. Drawing over your head isn't easy. Whenever I've tried it's made my neck ache

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 21 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12538 topics and 105761 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0