Motor movers and other practical questions

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:19 pm
by Totoro (deleted)

Hi,
I've really appreciated all the help and advice so far.

So we've finally done it and we've put a deposit down on a new Triton 418. We wanted to order one factory-made with all the extras we thought would be useful, but we were told that it wouldn't be possible before October 2021. So we found one in AutoSuministres Motor, who sell Eribas and other caravan makes. We live in the Basque Country so it's about a 5 hour drive to go and collect it. It doesn't have the stoneguard protector or additional sockets - but it's going to be great nonetheless.

Like many people here we live in an apartment with underground parking. Most underground parking here is quite narrow, with narrow spaces. However, we have found a couple of reasonably priced spaces for sale in the town that are newer builds.
I wondered if anyone has any thoughts about parking a caravan in an underground parking?
I've seen a couple of spaces today (I've attached photos). The gradient of the slope going into the garage seems reasonable.
How precise are the movers (we have ordered one to be fitted on our 418)? Could they get me in and out of a parking spot?

Like most Eriba Tourings I have seen, ours only as one external socket. This will be connected to the electrics in the campsite, right? If we want to have lights in an awning, or use an electric grill etc. any suggestions how best to power these things? Could we use a splitter and extension cord together like these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sockets-Splitte...splitter&sr=8-1 and a

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leisurewize-Mob...04077755&sr=8-6

Finally (for the moment!) if there is anything which a first time caravan owner like us need to remember to pack/take, it would be really good to know. We've never done had a caravan before so it would be good to learn from people who know what they're talking about!

Thanks again in advance.
Neil

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 Garage 1.jpg 
 Garage 2.jpg 

Scroll up

RE: Motor movers and other practical questions

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:33 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.324 Posts

Neil,
the movers are good and accurate. You should be able to get the van within mm of where you want I'm guessing you have no power available in the garage so you'll need to remove the battery and keep it charged at home ready for when needed .If you left it in the van over winter it will drain down, possibly to the state where it cannot be brought back to life.
For power in the awning you have several options. A splitter as you have found, an engineer installed outside socket on or underneath the van or if you have an exterior access hatch to under the rear diner an easy fit is one just inside this.
As regards access to carpark, the photos show good head height but what is it like on the ramp?

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:37 pm
by Totoro (deleted)

I should have taken more photos!
This is the ramp down to the garage.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 Garage 3.jpg 

Last edited Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:37 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:03 pm

Ramp looks fine but any tight curves or corners. Usually a minimum headroom sign can be found. Have you asked the operators if they think it possible to get a van in. It is 5.2m long and 2.26m high.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:14 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Agree with Colin, using a mover you can position the van within millimeters, but the remote control needs a bit of practice in an open area when first using it!!

Dave

Dave & Taka
Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Familia 320
cruickie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:25 pm
by Totoro (deleted)

There are 90 degree turns to make inside the garage to get to the parking space. The larger space (510cm x 250cm) is round three 90 degree corners and is against a wall (we have been told that going over 20cm won't be a problem). The smaller (550cm x 210cm) is just round one 90 degree turn when you first go in the garage. This one is against a back wall and will have vehicles either side, with a pillar on one side at the front.

Last edited Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:26 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:29 pm
by Randa france | 12.883 Posts

Forgive me for asking a daft question Neil but I assume the headroom is no issue?
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:12 pm
by Totoro (deleted)

Hi Randa, I checked and the headroom is not an issue. There was more than enough space. The only thing is that with the smaller space, the caravan would need to go in drawbar first as there is a pipe overhead against the back wall that means the caravan can't be backed in.
Neil

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:25 pm

Going in backwards or forwards is not a problem.
You can spin the van 90 degrees around one wheel, it will just squeal a lot on the painted concrete floor
Remember you will need access to wind the motor mover on/off as you do not want to leave the drive rollers in contact with the tyres. If you have auto activation this should not be a concern.
Will you be able to open the caravan door whilst the van is in place. If you cannot then do not worry as you can roll it manually forward/backwards to open the door, replace battery and turn the mover on. [This might help with above statement].
You will need to wind down the corner steadies, although I do not worry about back opposite door side as it's up against the wall of my garage.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:46 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Assuming that you would drive in with the eriba attached to your car, I would have thought that if the garage is flat and level and smooth, it would be easy enough to push/pull it into place rather than use the mover. We store our Triton on the drive which has brick walls each side, about 7 foot wide but with a slight downward slope so the mover makes things a lot easier. It is particularly good at jiggling it about on the drive for cleaning as I can't get down both sides easily. When done I usually move to within 6" of the wall on one side to give me enough room to open the door, and use a socket on a ratchet handle to lower the steadies nearest the wall. If you just jab the mover buttons rather than holding them you can make very small movements. You can (usually) wind the mover on/off from either side.

This does look like a great place to store your Eriba though.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:34 pm
by AlanC | 94 Posts

Just a thought, having lived in a flat with underground parking in the UK, the lease had a clause that stated that no 'boats on wheels' or caravans were allowed to be parked in the car park. This is quite a common clause in UK leases.

I assume this does not apply to leases in Europe? May be worth a check though.

Alan

Liz and Alan
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:33 pm
by Totoro (deleted)

Hi everyone,
Back again for some more advice!
I was wondering if you have any thoughts on caravan security. Amazon offer loads of options, but these two seem to have some good reviews? Any thoughts or other suggestions? Is using both overkill, or is just one of the two enough? The caravan is not going to be kept in a locked garage, so other people could potentially get access to it.
Thanks in advance.
Neil

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Milenco-2004-He...CPM6&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Purpleline-Neme...QDNGYHKJG10Q568

Last edited Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:34 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:29 pm

Milenco have a very good reputation and as such are widely used. I have however always used the genuine Alko hitch lock, expect when I had a Winterhoff hitch and used the genuine Winterhoff hitch lock. They are more expensive but fit perfectly and I would buy again.
As regards the Nemesis Ultra wheel clamp. I swapped to one of these when I bought my new van in 2017. This replaced a long used and very good Bulldog Euro. It is lightweight, quick and esay to fit, even looks good, and again my first choice.
Second hand examples in vgc are readily available on the likes of e-bay and Gumtree for both the hitchlock and wheel clamp and this is how I sourced mine.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:22 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi Neil
Given the place you are going to store your Eriba I would give serious consideration to the heavy duty Bulldog Titan wheel clamp. Just put name into earch engine and YouTube and you can see a video of how to fit.

It is more expensive to buy and it is fiddly to get on first time but you do get used to it and it then goes on fairly quickly.

Its drawback is that it is very heavy. I only use it when I store our Troll on the drive at home. When we go on site I use a SAS Supa Clamp Duo which is much lighter and easier to fit but not as secure.

Like Colin I also use the Alko hitch lock. In winter I put all three locks on and cover the van with a Kampa Winter cover.

Given where you are leaving your van I would put a clamp on each wheel.

Whilst saying all this the sad fact is that experience seems to suggest that a determined thief will find a way to steal your van if they have enough time.

Good luck

MikeT

Last edited Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:22 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:04 pm
by Totoro (deleted)

We've just received a picnic table I bought online in the sales last week. Now I've unpacked it, I'm thinking it's too large. At 70cm x 115cm, will it fit through the rear side hatch? There's only 4 of us (2 of which are under 8!) and this table looks like it could seat 6! The smaller version was 60cm x 80cm, which I'm beginning to think would have been a better size.

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 30 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12538 topics and 105766 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4