Benefits and differences between the newer 530 and 540?

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:07 am
by Badhatharry (deleted)

What width, with regards sleeping, are the newer trolls?? Would someone who is 188cm be comfortable sleeping in the 530?? What year did they become wider and what differences other than the bed arrangement are there??
Thank you

Last edited Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:07 am | Scroll up

RE: Benefits and differences between the newer 530 and 540?

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:23 am
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

THis question will invite an in-fight

I've known of folk who are > 188cm who have been comfortable sleeping across in a 2000mm wide Troll and I think the extra body width was introduced to the 530 and 540 when they introduced the new style new height models in 2009/2010?

The benefits of a 530 are that you get a larger front dinette which will confortably seat 4 persons (and also the single bed it converts to is wider than normal). Therefore you could consider leaving the rear bed made up.

The benefits of the 540 are that with the long sleeper you'll not be trapped behind your partner in the rear cross double, should you be on the inside and need to get up first.

We have overcome the double bed 530 scenario by using both the big single bed in the front and the double bed in the rear as in our opinion it's not essential that we sleep together while away. We get enough of that at home and we know to our cost, that it only leads to babies

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

scouteralf and Dockmur like this post!
Last edited Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:27 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:57 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Randa's not wrong...........!

For us 540 has distinct advantages. used as singles the two beds are longer than in other models as the wardrobe is narrower. However we usually make it up as a double and it is massive. Our bedding has to be king size to fit. We have taken to sleeping across the van with two separate single duvets.

The bed that makes up from the front diner area is big enough for a large chap like me to fit in but don't use it often.

We sometimes leave the back double made up for days and, like Randa, eat at the front diner or outside the van.If we are going to be in the van quite a bit we put it down and put the large table back up. We have a smooth system for putting up/taking down the back double and fitting the bedding. It usually takes the two of us about 7 or 8 minutes.

We are so pleased we picked the 540 but you will get other Troll owners disagreeing. It depends on your circumstances and how you want to use the van............540s rule OK

MikeT

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:27 pm
by Badhatharry (deleted)

Thank you

I just need to find one now!!! Nobody is selling at the moment.

Last edited Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:27 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:12 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

I'm fairly short at 5'8" and have owned a 2.1m wide bodied Troll. The bigger bed on these Trolls makes a lot of difference. It is worth sourcing one of these Trolls, which means a pre 2010 550, 552, or 555, or any post 2010 Troll
Whatever Troll you end up with you will get it to work for you. We have a Triton 430 that has the same front end as a 540. To be honest it is a little cramped and the bigger dinning area offered by a 530 would be nice.
The only advantage I can see to owning a 540 would be the two singles option is a benefit if you get up a lot in the night or have mobility issues due to either health or an increase in years. I say this as I would imagine the majority of Eriba Troll users are couples who would generally leave the beds made up and use the front dining area not the large rear table.
At present supply is not good. I don't believe a new Troll exists in any dealership. ALV are taking orders for a delivery over the March-May period. Red Lion Caravans may have some on show by X-mas. 2nd hand it's a matter of checking e-bay, gumtree etc on a daily basis, so best of luck. As an inbetween measure you could contact Dom Fox at https://www.domfox.co.uk/eriba-caravans-for-sale/ He is a dealer with prices somewhere between private sale and main dealer. He advertises vans on his website and also sources them to customers requests.

Check here for dealer details https://www.eriba.com/en/service-and-acc...ler-search.html

Best of luck with your search - Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:12 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:23 pm
by NickR | 38 Posts

I would like to endorse what Colin says about contacting Dom Fox, who I have found to be a really friendly, helpful person to deal with. We were staying at Incleboro Fields site on the North Norfolk Coast, at the beginning of September, and following my enquiry, we were able to visit him on our way home to Suffolk so he could look at our 2001 Triton 420 yellow stripe to assess it for a part exchange with a Troll 540. He went the same afternoon to collect the Troll, and described it and sent photos, which convinced me that it was what we wanted. He also was keen that we saw it before committing to the deal, so we had a daytrip to Norfolk before lockdown. He delivered it a few days ago, and I am now exploring such luxuries as gas or electric hot water, and extra fittings like underfloor insulation. It is 2004, but in very smart condition. We are older, and appreciate the lengthways bed which enables me to slide out in the middle of the night, and the bay window dinette giving a better view of the scenery.. Looking forward to camp sites reopening.
Nick

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:17 am

Hi Nick
Given the shortage of used Eribas you seem to have done very well, and made a good choice.in the 540. We love lolling about during the inevitable wet late afternoons on the long singles reading & listening to music

We got the Gas & Electric hot water heater but other than checking that it worked OK we have never used it in anger. We got it against we were going to go off grid but we have decided that at our age we prefer the luxury of sited with electric hook ups and good toilet facilities. The electric boiler soon provides a tank of luxurious hot water......

I'm sure you will enjoy it once sites start to re-open.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:13 am
by Badhatharry (deleted)

Thank you all very much for the advice

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:23 am
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

In addition to to bed difference (btw I’m over 6ft and our 2018 530 Troll bed is plenty big enough) there are 4 other key advantages to the 530:
- the cupboard is much wider(perhaps extra third wider). In addition to the hanging space there is an invaluable set of shelves.
- under the shelves to the right of the heater - because of the extra cupboard width you get a cubby hole/cu-board. Brilliant for dirty clothes.
- next to the kitchen, by the door, there is a shelf (under the kitchen flap) we use for kitchen roll, wine bottles, water bottles and Covid hand gel. One of the most uselul things we have. Also a cubby under the shelf is where we keep 1st aid kit, fire extinguisher and the motor mover remote.
- the front dinette us about a third wider making it more comfortable to sit around and avoids feeling squashed in

They made brilliant use of that extra half metre they get by making the bed width ways

~ N

~ 530 and proud

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:24 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:01 pm

We've also got an unbrella stand and magazine rack next to the door on our 530
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Hi N

Still not convinced.................that extra wardrobe space only tempts you to take extra unnecessary clothes & shoes. Although the wine area sounds to be a useful additional area.

However the game changer in the 540 is the fabulous big table that goes at the back of the van between the two single beds. You can open a bottle of red wine & have two large glasses, pick at a bowl of salted mixed nuts and still be able to play a game of double nines Lancashire dominoes.

I rest my case.....................540s still rule OK!

MikeT

marmite likes this post!
Last edited Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:44 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:25 am

An oldie but a goody and worth re-submitting. I know it cheered Motters up no end the last time I posted it.

One (tall) man's solution to cross van sleeping (see early footage of outside the van). Great music too.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:44 am

Very good Roger - not seen it before.

It strikes me as a perfect place for Colin to store his cerise Crocs.

Liked the backing track - the song had some good lines in it for us older gents. Any idea who it was singing?

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:29 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: SOULBLUESMAN68 wrote in post #13
Any idea who it was singing?
Teddy Goldstein. The track is 499 from an album called The Love Lot.

Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:51 pm

Thanks Pepe. I will look him up and give him a longer listen

MikeT

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 20 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1