Insurance.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:53 am
by Randa france | 12.877 Posts

It's that time of year again when I have to spend 30 minutes on the phone to our car insurance company and the AA.

Despite the fact that most of us have hardly moved a wheel in the past 12 months these people are still trying to squeeze extra money out of us.

Our car insurance was up by £20 and the AA wanted an extra £50 A fat chance of that happening. Both came back down to where we were at last year ( money for old rope) although I was left hanging on the phone waiting for someone from the AA to pick up for about 15 minutes.

By the way, I had it confirmed that with Relay Cover, the AA will only recover your Eriba if it's hanging on the back of your broken down car. If it's in a field 15 miles away, tough ! When abroad, Red Pennant claim to recover both car and Eriba even if they are in different places.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:57 am | Scroll up

RE: Insurance.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:38 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.320 Posts

Roger, the last two years I swapped to the annoying Welsh chap on telly, Mr GoCompare. Because of them paying the first £250 x/s it meant premiums are far more attractive. They do full European cover etc, only drawback is the £250 x/s cover only applies to UK.
In the interim I looked up cover through John Lewis as the lovely Mrs eribaMotters gets discount. Without her discount the quote was attractive.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:06 pm
by Bathchap | 51 Posts

I have just taken out insurance with John Lewis, it was fifty pounds cheaper than last year’s Saga premium which has increased by sixty five pounds this year.....someone somewhere is having a laugh.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:57 pm
by Captain Calamity | 346 Posts

When CaravanGuard asked for an extra £40 last year I looked around for alternatives and got a quote for the same cover from Ripe Caravan Insurance for £140 less!
Bizarrely CaravanGuard and Ripe are both underwritten by Royal Sun Alliance.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:16 pm

I found it a nightmare finding a decent company to quote for my Eriba last year as many of them insist (in the small print) that the van has an annual professional service and some insist on the van being CRiS registered so be careful to ask the question.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:38 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Martin Lewis (money saving expert) said your car renewal quote will vary according to the day you apply The best day is 21 days in advance.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2...-car-insurance/

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:38 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:53 pm

Roger
I'm wise to both of those issues. Ripe accept a VIN No. and other than a general requirement to look after the van there does not seem to be a specific requirement for a professional service although, as the van is newish, that happens anyway.
Given that it is sitting in a storage facility and has been for some time I'm happy with the £180 premium (£25K new for old and Euro cover included)
Must also correct myself - underwriter is Aviva.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:55 pm

Big fan of Martin Lewis. I've saved hundreds over the last six months using his site! Including the caravan insurance.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:00 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.320 Posts

Kevin,
good call on Ripe Insurance. These are a new one to me. I've been with Lifesure since 2015 and never seen a jump in premium. My Feb 2021-22 policy does however see a big hike. I've gone though all the usual contenders and had finally decided on Cover4Caravans. Checking out Ripe Insurance they come out about £20 cheaper once I had put on protected ncd, lower x/s, hotel/car hire, legal expenses cover etc. They differ in that the European cover is for less time and the value of cover in some areas is slightly less. It is close though and these two stand out head and shoulders for value over anything else I have found.

So anybody out there looking for insurance, especially on a higher value newer van would be advised to check these two companies out.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:20 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

They only insure up to 15 yo.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:26 pm

Also thinking of tow cars, I called Coop Insurance, dropped “commuting” from the use description and reduced my annual mileage from 12,000 to 6,000. They dropped £120 off the annual premium. We all need to a bit savvy when it comes to the insurance malarky!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:07 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.120 Posts

I'm sure like everyone else this annual farce with insurance companies, the AA, British Gas makes me so angry and drives me to distraction.

I have better things to do with my life than play this game every year. They send you an inflated quote; you spend ages getting through to a sentient human being on the phone; you refuse to pay their inflated quote; they "speak to a manager" and then a more reasonable quote follows. It gets me so cross.

I do have a golden rule that I am never rude to or get cross with the poor soul on the other end of the phone, who has to deal with customers as who would want to do their job. I am always pleasant, friendly & polite. it is not their decision to try to fleece us every year.

It is also not fun being on the downward slope of customer desirability - my increasing age flags up to their computers that I am now "more of a risk" and therefore must be charged more.

The other frustrating thing is that companies who once had a good reputation and could be trusted, to a certain extent, and now playing the same game. Customer loyalty has been a meaningless expression other than a means to get more money out of us.

Sorry to all - rant over! Not been well today so irritability threshold is low.

MikeT

rs540, eribanaut and Steve and Debbie like this post!
Last edited Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:08 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:28 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

Back in the 70s I worked for a large insurance company ( we had a lot of men who came to your house weekly, you know the one). Anyway, back then customer loyalty was rewarded, now a customer who stays loyal to the same company year in year out is viewed as someone who can’t be bothered to shop around and fleeced. Insurance was always a money making business, obviously they have to be to survive but nowadays they are really taking the Micheal, she said politely.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
campnsnooze likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:41 am

Quote: Julie Grafo wrote in post #13
Back in the 70s I worked for a large insurance company ( we had a lot of men who came to your house weekly, you know the one).

Are you sure you're talking about insurance Julie?
Randa

Shady Pines and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:49 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

Well that’s what I was told. It was my first job, I was a very naive 16 year old, they could have been up to anything 😂🤔

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 16 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12534 topics and 105727 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2