Isabella Shadow

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:12 pm
by Old Rocker | 491 Posts

Anyone with a Troll and this sun canooy?
What size did you buy?
Thanks

Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Don't ask me nothing about nothing, I might just tell you the truth
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Isabella Shadow

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:33 pm
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Hi Mick. We bought a 3 metre as the next size up is just a tad too long for the curve.

However, I believe Mr Motters has bought the next size up and snipped the fabric attaching the awning bead a little. 3 metres is OK but that extra 500mm would make a tremendous difference if you could make it happen,

italy.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Old Rocker likes this post!
Last edited Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:37 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:41 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.310 Posts

Roger,
you beat me to it.

Michael,
your Troll would take the 3.5m as the straight bit on the rail is 3.45m or near as damn it.I thought that previously the 3.5m was made but unfortunately the equivalent new size is now a 3.6m. I've snipped the end off the awning chord on a Fiamma Caravanstore and I see no reason why you could not do this on the 3.6m Isabella.If not then it would be the 3m. The 3.6m has 3 poles as standard whilst the 3.0m has 2 poles.
I sourced mine on Gumtree at a very attractive price. Look for the model with a dark grey front edge. This is the newer version with improved leg material.
Unfortunately the bargain on Gumtree at present is the 2.4m model.If you do find one up for sale second hand carriage would should be less than £10 through the likes of Parcel2Go.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Randa france, Old Rocker and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:43 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:50 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Hi Michael

We use the 3 metre one on our Troll. This only comes with two poles but the hole is in the canopy for the third pole (which seems a bit odd). Like many others we have just bought a third pole for the middle and this enables us to play around with the pitch on the canopy, ensuring that we don't get any pooling of water in the centre. Didn't source an Isabella pole but we simply bought an adjustable pole on EBay.

I think the extra length on the 3.6 would be useful but I wouldn't trust myself to do any cutting of the material. For Kath and I the 3m provides us with enough space to nearly always find a dry spot for our two camping chairs.

We have talked a few times about doing a home made side extension like Roger has but have not been brave enough yet. (there are some pictures on here somewhere of Roger's wife's impressive handiwork.

Got to say that we do love the Shadow & use it a lot.................

MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:10 pm
by sibillini | 236 Posts

3M +1

We have the front sunshade (net) for the Shadow which comes with a cross beam and so no need for the third pole. Highly recommended.

Charlie

2002 Eriba Troll 540 (Elsie) + Honda CRV 2.2 diesel
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:24 pm

IMG-20191104-WA0001.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Michael hopefully this shows the middle pole fixed in place with some lake district stone. You can see hopefully how much room there is

MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:26 pm

Hi Charlie do you have a photo of it in situ?

MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:45 pm
by sibillini | 236 Posts

Sorry, no I haven't, but this is what it looks like.

link

C

2002 Eriba Troll 540 (Elsie) + Honda CRV 2.2 diesel
Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:51 pm
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

We designed and made something like that for ours but not with a full fixed front pole. That'd be interesting Does it thread through the pole or clip onto it Charlie?
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:52 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:24 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

We got the 3m size. Really easy to put up and looks great. Here’s a picture.

Shadow 2 IMG_6257.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:51 pm

Charlie
Does the front net give any protection from rain that lands on it or does it drip through?

MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:54 am
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Hi Mike, we use a spare pole we have as the Shadow comes with 2 poles, but 3 guy ropes. We have the middle pole set up higher and the rain just runs off to the sides. Also gives a better view with the middle section up. I posted a pics on my previous post. PM me if you would like more pics or details. Robbie

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:22 pm

Hi Robbie

Yes we do something similar with a spare pole and we can usually find somewhere out of the rain to sit in the fresh air.

I am toying with taking an old Outwell wind break that we had with our tent to give a bit more shelter on gusty wet days.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:55 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Hi Mike,

That sounds good.

I was thinking of buying one of these from Kampa. The sides come off so it would be like a gazebo. What do you think ??

https://www.kampaoutdoors.com/awning/cross-air

Robbie

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:58 am
by eribaMotters | 5.310 Posts

Robbie,
Mike and I run similar awnings/canopies. If you just want a sunshade then the Kampa you suggest would not perform the same task. The Isabella provides a good level of shade and because it is open allows a through flow of air and helps keep the temperature down. It is very quick to get up and lightweight at about 5kg opposed to the 19kg? of the Kampa.
The Kampa will trap air and offer less shade. As an awning it is not a bad idea, but you will always find anything with a tunnel on it will be prone to sagging and pooling. This point is frequently discussed on the forum where members try to get the perfect performance through a combination of poles and packers of various types.
We have a Kampa Pop-Air full awning for long stays but for shorter and sunnier trips carry the Isabella. If we think the weather is going to be poor we also carry A Sunncamp Swift Van 260. This is an open ended tube like arrangement that works well at keeping the rain off, is cheap, lightweight at 5kg and quick to put up/pack away. Mike has a later development of this, the Sunncamp Swift Vareo. Roger also has one Sunncamp Swift Verao 260 Low Initial Findings with a front and sides that go down to the ground.
If I did not require a full awning I would go this route every time. Awning.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
GT runner likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105666 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6