Newbie Eriba Owner would love your help!!

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:31 pm
by brussell11 (deleted)

Hi all,
Bear with me, this is a long post 😂. I searched the forums a bit but I have multiple awning questions! Thank you for any advice you could provide.

1. We have a 2014 Eriba Familia 310

2. It came with a very small Thule omnistore. I don’t know what size (van is currently getting a maintenance check) but small enough so it doesn’t go over the door. So not the full length of the van.

3. We had been told by our dealer they could put an omnistore 6300 on it and then the Thule g3 residence. No surprise perhaps the experts here but yeah. It’s too big. Their mistake.

4. We thought ok, fine. We will leave the Thule on and then perhaps add a kampa air pro. New challenge. The awning is not mounted on the “roof” but rather on the brackets, meaning we couldn’t attach the air pro to the rail as blocked by brackets. Dealer said it’s a bad idea to remove the thule and remount of n the roof. I’ve seen it on other bigger eribas but he said it’s not possible with the familia.

5. So. We are a bit stuck. There do not seem to be side panel and front panel options for this very small awning. And even if there were the interior would be very small as the awning is small. Long story longer, my questions are:

A) are we putting too much thought into the Thule and should we simply go with the kampa air pro 290? Cons of this are we lose the roll down awning for short stops etc.
B) what is the biggest roll down awning that fits a 310 and can anyone recommend side panels/front panels?

C) is it really a bad idea to try to remount the roll down Thule on the roof and then have the rail free for the kampa?

Certainly not one answer to all of this but really more looking for advice. Including peoples’ views on roll down vs “tent” awnings.

Many many thanks!
Best
Ben

Scroll up

RE: Newbie Eriba Owner would love your help!!

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:52 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.310 Posts

Ben,
we had a 310 for 6 summers and had several awnings with it. After owning 4 Eriba's since 2003 I still believe that you will need more than one awning or canopy. The longest roll out canopy that will fit is the Fiamma 255, which has a fabric length of about 238cm. We used this in a higher additional awning rail I fitted, sometimes with a front panel that I had cut down to height. You can adapt ends to fit, but this is a compromise as they do not work as well as you would hope. treat it as a sun/rain canopy and no more. We run with one permanently on the opposite side of the van. We store bikes and clothes airer in the dry/shade. You could use an Isabella Shadow 250 as an alternative on the door side which at about 4kg can be left in the van
For a full awning the Kampa Pop-Air 290 offers a good compromise on space/quality/value. It is heavy to get into the track and not as quick to erect as you may think, but is very quick to take down and pack away. If you wanted space for the family then the Fortex is the winner. It is huge with twice the footprint but VERY expensive and we have sourced ours 2nd hand.
I'd advise using the forum search facility as you will find lots of opinions and photos.

If the van was mine I would remove the Thule, possibly mounting it on the other side or selling it. Buy a 250 Isabella Shadow for shade/short stays and a "proper" awning such as the Kampa Pop-Air.

P1010138-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Fortex - front down-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Fortex from side-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Last edited Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:05 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:43 am
by brussell11 (deleted)

Dear Colin,

Many thanks for this and the forum tips also. These are better recommendations and guidance than our local shop given has in the course of multiple weeks! Very much like your thought on swapping sides for the roll-down canopy (and good to learn some of the different terminology used here). I also appreciate the rec for the Isabella canopy - seems also a good solution. Finally, yes - the Fortex is beautiful, and we’ll have to see if there are some available (we’re in Switzerland) at a lower cost, or go with the Kampa. Your pictures may have changed my mind though... Thanks again.

Best,
Ben

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:01 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:13 am

Ben,
you wlll find pictures of a Kampa on our Triton here:- Puck L 225 awning question
The footprint of this awning on your Familia would be 2.9 x 2.5m, as the 290 refers to the cm measurement on the floor. If this is big enough for you and the boys then I would go this route and not worry about a Fortex or Unico [similar] unless one came up for a very good price on the likes of dutch site :-https://www.marktplaats.nl/l/caravans-en...#q:eriba+fortex
On the continent you have easy access to more than we do in the UK. The likes of Obelink stock a lot of good equipment, including I think Isabella and there own in house similar product:- https://www.obelink.co.uk/awnings-canopi...ravan-canopies/

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:49 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

There is also the Walker touring plus, a well made awning from the Netherlands, usually available at a discount, it takes us about 35/40 mins to put up and peg down.
https://walker-awnings.co.uk/product/eriba-touring/
And as Colin said Obelink, the biggest camping shop I have ever been in, think Ikea size, underground parkin and all, you could say, if they haven't got, you don't need it.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:53 am
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Hi Ben and welcome to Eribafolk

I'll leave the definitive answers to the folk who have more knowledge of the Thule omnistore than I do but I've found this thread that discusses the removal of the shade. RE:Thule Omnistore Help needed please

Also I prepared this simple diagram a few years ago.

Omnistore.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:57 pm
by brussell11 (deleted)

Hi Colin, Dave and Randa,
Thanks a lot. This is all been very helpful info. I think we’re gonna lean towards the Kampa 290 (it’s available immediately) and think we will give this a shot. Also appreciate the insight in removing the omnistor. Great stuff!
Ben

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:50 pm
by brussell11 (deleted)

All. Last newbie question on the kampa pop air pro 290. Am I correct that it fits into the existing “base” Eriba rail? In other words I don’t need to buy an attachment or something special to hook it to the Eriba? Thank you!

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:17 pm

You do not need to buy anything extra. You slide it into the combined awning rail/gutter track that is about 30/40mm above the door. You can do it from the front or the back of the van. I would try both as you may find the bent notch/opening in the rail is a bit wider at one end. Spray some ptfe spray into the track first as this makes it easier to drag the awning along.

Colin

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:50 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Colin is right about trying either end to put Pop Air awning in.............................

On our 2016 Troll, which we had from new, we always tried to put it in from the back of the van and at times we struggled with it. We then tried it from the front of the van and it went it much more easily. Always put it in from the front now. We give the railing a quick squirt of silicon spray lubricant before we start which makes it easier to slide.

The other thing to be aware of is that the Kampa Pop Air is quite a dead weight to hold up as you put the last metre in the rail although putting it down is a doddle. The other thing is to check that you have the bottom two air valves closed as you pump it up or you will just pump the air through it. This is easy to do if you don't watch out.

The Kampa Pop Air awnings are very robust in very windy weather, as the air poles give with the wind, rather than rigid poles that can be prone to snap.

Good luck

MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:58 am
by brussell11 (deleted)

Hi Colin and Mike. Thanks again! We’re finalising the order of the awning today. Appreciate it.
Ben

eribaMotters likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 18 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12524 topics and 105667 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3