On board water tank

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:57 am
by BuffySilk (deleted)

We have changed our Familia and now have a Troll with an on board water tank. How do you fill it up - is it a watering can job and what are the benefits? Thanks

Scroll up

RE: On board water tank

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:30 am
by chasnick | 69 Posts

We had a 40 litre on board tank fitted to our new Troll last year. Having lived with on board and roll- a- longs in the past in other vans, on board is the only way for us, lots on the forum will disagree but hey. We found a 10 litre watering can in Argos for £6 and it is narrow so can be stored more easily. It works a treat.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:27 am
by Alan | 77 Posts

It takes an awful lot of watering cans to fill the onboard tank., I bought a Whale water pump and fitted a electrical adaptor from the battery which can be dropped through the window., drop it into your pull along normal water tank to fill your onboard tank it takes about 2 mins to fill.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:18 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

We have a big plastic water container that yann hauls to the van, I hold a piece of bendy pipe to the caravan while yann pours the water into the pipe. Easier than trying to pour the water directly into the opening.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:28 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Alan,
yes it does take a lot of cans, but you only have to fill the tank once. We find three cans to get things going and prime the system and then another 3 or 4 and it's glugging out over your foot.
If away for a couple of days no need for any more filling. If away for longer then each time we empty the bucket of waste water we put another can of fresh water in the tank.
Another tip is when leaving camp to move on to another is to pull the bung in the bottom of the tank. Do not run it dry through the taps. It is perfectly safe to run with the system primed ready for arrival at next site.
I've also added an isolation switch next to my tank so I can leave the 12v on without fear of a knocked tap starting the pump. This also allows me to leave the taps open over winter whilst the vans 12v system is still live with lights usable.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:17 am
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #5
I've also added an isolation switch next to my tank so I can leave the 12v on without fear of a knocked tap starting the pump. This also allows me to leave the taps open over winter whilst the vans 12v system is still live with lights usable.

I've just bought a float switch (with a 10A switching capacity) which I will install as soon as the van comes out of storage. I will simply wire this in series with the pump so that it automatically switches off before the water level drops below the pump inlet. It surprises me that these are not fitted as standard to all vans in order to protect the pump.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:30 pm
by chasnick | 69 Posts

Like the idea of the isolating switch on the pump Colin, will steal that idea from you Did you post any photos . We want to have a handy socket/ extension lead under the awning but not keen on drilling into the side of the van. On our motorhome I fitted an external socket behind the step which didn't involve drilling in the bodywork. I know you can split from the post but you then need another long lead. Can you split from where it enters the van?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:20 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

External Socket was discussed here and may give you some pointers

Exterior 240v Socket

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:29 pm
by chasnick | 69 Posts

Thanks Steve, links aren't working but other info there useful.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:34 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

This might help as a starting point for you:- 2017 Triton 430 - extras and modifications
I don't know which model van you have, but on our 430 you can access the mains socket circuit easily under the kitchen sink. Remove the screwcaps, unscrew the bottom horizontal panel and you will see the main cable. Cut into this and install a 30amp terminal block. From here run an extension cable to under the bed, just inside the rear hatch as in the link photos.
I have since replaced this with a double, one side to feed my internet booster router and the other to supply power to the awning, or plug the lead in that goes through the floor to an external socket fitted under the van. I've also now added a screw top access hole through the floor to feed my router cable or alternative TV axial cable.This was made up of odd plumbing wastepipe bits designed for a soil stack, along with a couple of iroko hardwood discs.
Internal sockets etc to match originals came from https://clearcutconversions.co.uk/produc...s-and-switches/ If you phone them up they will do a mix and match to your needs and are very helpful.
The external socket was a generic unit bought from the likes of Toolstation https://www.toolstation.com/bg-ip66-13a-...d-socket/p36199
Your idea on a splitter for the mains hook up has been used by several members and is an option you could follow.
Off at a slight tangent, we do not hook up our van in the "normal" way. We developed a method that we used when the boys camped with us. We run a domestic extension cable drum with the 3 pin end replaced with a suitable plug to attach to the bollard. The cable drum is unwound and put into the awning or under the van. We test the polarity on the drum and use a short correction lead if needed. From the drum we run a 5m lead into the vans hook up, or extension leads [via a plug in circuit breaker] to the boys pup tents or wherever needed.

1.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)3.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:36 pm
by chasnick | 69 Posts

Thanks Colin, like your last suggestion and have worked out how I can still use our standard hook-up cable to achieve what i'm after.We have a 540 by btw.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:04 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Regarding filling the onboard water tank, we have a 10l water carrier with a tap. This sits on top of the tank whilst it is filling so don't need to be holding it. Takes about 4 to fill both cold and hot tanks.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:22 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 212 Posts

Rather than an extension reel, better to use a camping distribution board which has an RCD to protect against electric shocks. they’re selling them in Aldi this week, or go outdoors etc.
Use a ‘y’ splitter just before the caravan connection and extension to do it right. 🙂

Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 18 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6