it's official!

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:49 pm
by Totoro (deleted)

So we went and collected our 418 from Barcelona about 10 days ago and drove it back home on a 7,5hour journey.
Eager to take it out we ignored the sub zero temperatures predicted, packed warm clothes and headed off on our first adventure yesterday.
Everything is going well considering we're new to caravaning and there's a lot to learn.
We have a couple of issues to resolve and/or accept.
1. One of the gas burners won't stay lit, which is a real pain.
2. The touch sensitive lights in the kitchen area seem to have a life of their own, particularly when we had a small electric heater on just underneath them at night.
3. There's a fair bit of resin coming out of the joints in the middle and at thetop. Colin has given me some good advice about cleaning it off and getting rid of it, so hopefully that will work out.

So, overall, a positive start for us.
Neil

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 20210404_153220.jpg 

Scroll up

RE: it's official!

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:14 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

Looks very nice and I can see the little ones are on the learning curve as well.
The touch [in] sensitive lights are a well documented issue. I've replaced some of mine twice but the replacements Hymer are now sending out under warranty seem fine.The burner issue sounds like a thermocouple, just like you have on your gas hob at home. You may find it is a standard part.
Check with your dealer about both issues. He may be prepared to send out parts or pay for work to be done locally. Swapping the lights over is not a problem as they have push fittings on and are easy to do.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:27 pm
by John Cross | 264 Posts

I had a problem with one of our burners, it would light then the flame would be tiny. I removed and cleaned the jet, that sorted it. But as Collin says, it could be the Thermocouple.
Nice to see your starting the next generation young

Troll 540 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:00 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

We loved our 418 when the children came with us after twelve years with it now it's just us and the dog so we treated ourselves to a 540.

Hope you have many many happy holidays with your grand little chap he looks to be very handy.

Denise & Phil

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:08 am
by Islay (deleted)

Lovely van!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:52 am
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Dave & Taka
Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Duo T
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:33 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Regarding the led lights, ours (2015 420) had two different types. The flush fitting type just pull out. the surface fit ones you need to prise out the diffuser, then unscrew the fitting. This type is not quite so easy to swap. As others say, once we swapped the couple that were playing up, we haven't had a problem with them.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:35 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

This is the surface fitting type.
light3 (2).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:10 pm
by atkinbrown | 62 Posts

Hi Colin, we have a 2 year old 530 GT and have excess sealant on the middle joints. Just wondered what your tips on cleaning this off would be.
regards
Derek and Virginia

Eriba 530GT and Golf 2ltr Estate
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:33 pm

Top tip is do not pull it. You will get sealant ooze for many years. I was still tidying odd bits up on my last van when it was 10 years old.
Give the area a wipe with white spirit and then use an old credit card to cut through the excess sealant. Carefully peel/roll the excess off. With a [white spirit] wet cotton cloth wipe the area you have just worked on repeatedly, regularly refolding the cloth to use a clean area. Do not be tempted to rub hard as the paint is very thin and if it's a white dimple finish you can easily go through. Once you are happy apply a bit of car polish/wax to the painted surfaces. Repeat later in the year as needed.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

eribanaut, atkinbrown and like this post!
Last edited Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:26 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:32 am
by Totoro (deleted)

Hi Steve,
Thanks for this. It seems that we have the surface fitting types in our 418. The dealer wants to send us a replacement and seems to think that we can change it over ourselves. Could you explain exactly how to change it over? Many thanks.
Neil

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:16 am

From memory I had to pop the central frosted plastic diffuser. It should then be two screws to remove the light. My replacements came ready wired with short leads and push fit bullet connector ends on the wires that simply pushed into place. The worst bit is getting the diffuser out but I did not particularly worry about that as they were not being re-used.

Coln

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:07 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Yes, Colin has it right there. The diffuser needs to be prised out with something like a small screwdriver which will mangle it quite a lot, but as you are replacing it, that won't matter.

I still have one of each as spares so here is a photo of each type.

IMGP1812.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

likes this post!
Last edited Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:15 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:34 pm
by Alan | 77 Posts

I am assuming that you came directly home without stopping?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:08 pm
by Totoro (deleted)

Yes, we only stopped for fuel and to eat some sandwiches just off the motorway.
It was a long drive, but the roads were pretty empty and the weather was clear.
Neil

Alan likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 27 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2