Help needed to tow use triton Eriba

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:16 pm
by Eviegrace (deleted)

Please can anyone give advice/ help - my husband bought his dream triton Eriba 2 years ago but has sadly passed away suddenly - He did everything regarding towing setting up Eriba and I need to learn how to tow it/set is up as he wanted me to carry on using it,, I am terrified and wonder how I can learn to hitch it on car to tow and where to get advice regarding setting it up on site/ leisure battery/ levelling it / fridge on etc / water/ gas bottles basically everything,,,

Thank you A

Scroll up

RE: Help needed to tow use triton Eriba

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:36 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.325 Posts

Firstly and obviously, sorry to hear your sad news. Secondly, good on you for wanting to press ahead.This is obviously a big step and I wish you luck. It will be difficult getting a grip of things but in the months to come you will realise it's not all that daunting, just a matter of habit or organisation.
The first step would be letting us know where you are as I'm sure if someone was local they could go over a few things with you. If you cannot find an Eriba owner then somebody who owns a "normal" caravan would be able to go over the basics. Once on a campsite things are a lot easier as other campers will descend on anybody in need. Believe me we have all been there.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:01 pm
by Raconteur (deleted)

So sorry to hear of your loss.

I haven't towed for over 20 years and have been recommended the Caravan Club training courses. I have also found their website information on the detail of caravanning helpful and written in accessible language (which I certainly need!!) Michael

eribanaut, SOULBLUESMAN68 and FINNWOODY like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:13 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Have a look on you tube too. There are loads of really good how to videos there for caravanners., from towing to emptying your loo!. I am very sorry to hear of your loss. You're a brave woman so go for it!

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
FINNWOODY and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:59 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi and welcome to the Forum. Sad to hear the news about your husband but good on you for wanting to use the van yourself. One of the Clubs has a section for people who still want to caravan after the loss of a partner. I'm sorry I can't remember which one.

When Kath and I first got our Troll we had never caravanned before. I had two bad hips at the time (now thankfully replaced) and so Kath had to learn to tow as well as me. As Racontuer suggests above we both went on a Caravan & Motorhome Club towing course locally.

It was great, if a bit pricey. From scratch Kath turned out to be one of the best towers on the course and made me look totally kack-handed and clumsy. There were a number of women on their own on the course and a couple were really nervous at first but they did brilliantly and really grew in confidence. I cannot recommend it enough - our course was at a local agricultural College and the tutors were excellent

We made notes and still look at them at the start of every season. They went through everything, putting it in ways we as beginners could understand. The other great thing is that you tow with your car but use their vans, so you don't have to tow your Eriba to the College.

Good luck with it - I'm sure that you will get the hang of it and then enjoy using your Eriba.

MikeT

FINNWOODY and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:22 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

Sorry to hear of the death of your husband and much respect for your determination to carry on. You are not alone, many couples have only one person who does all the towing and technical stuff whilst the other looks on. Normally the man but not always. I can think of one couple on this site who have travelled extensively where the wife does all the towing. The idea of a towing course is a good one and as Colin says on site there will always be people who are only too willing to share their expertise. To my shame although I can and do tow I always let my hubby do the hitching/unhitching so am totally ignorant on that, note to self, must have a go.
I hope you soon get out there and maybe when there is another one, come to a Meet, you will be swamped by willing helpers.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
FINNWOODY likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:05 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Hi Eviegrace and thanks for joining us

It's good to hear that you wish to carry on using your Eriba and you'll find that there are many others who do the same.

The beauty of the Eriba is that it's so easy to tow and you'll get so many admirers of the van when you arrive on site that there'll be no shortage of help from fellow campers.

There are very many YouTube videos giving advice on how to hitch up, how to tow safely and how to set up on campsites and I've linked you to one such video for hitching the van up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCTG62JkF3s

The same proceedures should by followed with your Eriba as for any other caravan. One thing missing on this video however is that once the handbrake is on then the 4 corner steadies need to be wound up.

It always takes a few goes to reverse the car into a position where the tow ball is underneath the Eriba tow hitch if you are trying to do it on your own but with the Eriba, as long as the ground is level then it's safe to release the handbrake and move the Eriba slightly sideways if your aim is a little off centre

Please keep asking the questions as we are all here to help and every one of us has had to learn, often by our own mistakes.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:31 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

I can think of one couple on this site who have travelled extensively where the wife does all the towing.

I do help push it in place honest [ and Bunny doesn't tow it she uses a car ]
But seriously she took a C&CC towing course and said it was brilliant
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.

Julie Grafo likes this post!
Last edited Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:33 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:57 am
by Captain Calamity | 349 Posts

One tip I have seen for reversing up to the tow-hitch without a mover is to stick a garden cane in the ground in front of the hitch. You can then see it in your rear window as you are reversing - a useful guide.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:00 pm
by Eviegrace (deleted)

Thank you everyone for all your positive advice and feedback you have given me the confidence to have a go have now tried hitching it onto car and driving it-and feel I will be able now tow my husbands beloved triton Eriba - still so much to learn - how do I use fridge whilst travelling? and how/ where does water turn on please. How do I make sure caravan level once parked up? Thank you everyone for all your advice and help. I live in South Wales near Swansea if anyone local to contact. Many thanks

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:13 pm

Well done on the first step. On the fridge you will have a switch with settings for gas, 230v and 12v. Switch it to 12v and if your car has been wired up for it you will have power to the fridge. It is not very efficient, so put it on mains at home for 24 hrs to get it nice and cold.
In order to get the van level on site get a small spirit level. When you arrive stop short of where you want the van to go. Get out, assess how level the site is and adjust your parking plans if needed. Get back in and pull up about 0.5m short. get out, open van door, put spirit level on floor pointing across the van. If bubble is in the middle great, if not you will need the levelling ramp and chock you should have bought. Place this in front of the relevant wheel and pull the van up onto the ramp. If you can get a fellow camper to check your level this is a lot easier. When in position chock the wheel, unhitch and use the corner steadies to level the caravan front to back.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:46 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Does the van have a mover? We've just had one fitted and it's not just great, it's better than sliced bread, crispy, crunchy roast potatoes and anything else you can think of! LOL

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Frantone, SOULBLUESMAN68 and cabbie37 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:20 am

Told you so!

Colin

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 14 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105771 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1