Bikes

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:31 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

Just wondered how the bulk of people who cycle carry there bikes (apart from the ones who mount them on the caravan) along with everything else. Roof racks , not without problems or put them inside their caravan which I'm loathed to do with sharp bits of metal & grease. i know you can wrap them in a blanket but again not ideal.

Scroll up

RE: Bikes

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:16 pm
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

With the front wheels removed they go in the back of our Touran.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:42 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

do you tend to put a bar across the floor with brackets to fasten your front quick realise axels to ?

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:31 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

We have a couple of folding bikes which go in the car.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:03 am
by Tinkerbelle | 28 Posts

The rear seats of a Citroen Berlingo are easily removable. Two (or more, if you want) bikes go straight in the back without dismantling any part of the bikes. Then ratchet-strap them in a vertical position.

Randa france and monoboard like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:21 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

We used to carry two folding bikes in bags inside the caravan firmly wedged in place with bedding to prevent movement but found having to remove and replace them whenever we needed to access the van while en route a bit of a nuisance. Carrying bikes inside a convertible is clearly not an option.

Carrying ordinary bikes fully assembled on a drawbar mounted ball is by far the best solution for us and helps us attain the ideal noseweight for towing.

Have you seen this thread? Bike carrier

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:40 am

Quote: monoboard wrote in post #3
do you tend to put a bar across the floor with brackets to fasten your front quick realise axels to ?

No. We strap the bikes minus thier front wheels together and then strap them to a metal bracket on the inside of the rear wheelarch bodywork which is built in for the purpose of securing boot loads in the Touran.
The front wheels are then stowed alongside the front folks of the bikes inside the rear side door as in most cars the width between the door openings is wider than the rear passenger space.
This only takes up about half the rear space so there is plenty of room to stow the awning and other essentials. I work on the premise that if a tow car, in our case a VW Touran, is designed to carry 7 people, 3 of whom are seated on removable heavy rear seats (the other two fold into the floor), then by removing all that weight we would be hard pushed to load the car up again to that level with camping gear.
Before the Touran, we were able to unbolt the rear seats in our Focus estate thus making the tow car a two seater but with plenty of extra space to carry the gear.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
monoboard and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:21 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I always wonder how folks go on with bikes on the towbar area regarding nose weight? Most bikes weigh approximately 12kg, my Familia 320 normally averages at 63kg because the kitchen is at the front, If I added two bikes that would jump up to 87kg, my car nose weight has a max 75kg.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:35 am
by eribaMotters | 5.318 Posts

I think the 320 is the odd one out though. Gas locker, kitchen and loo all at the front probably make it the most nose heavy I believe.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:40 am

Two bikes, a 3 way fridge, a table top freezer, an awning and still not quite full YET

Bikes 01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bikes 02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

They will fit in the Troll both with front wheels on or to make it easier to get them around the corner of the kitchen unit, front wheels off. We've not travelled with them this way and they will need to be strapped and padded.

Bikes 03.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bikes 04.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

and monoboard like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:54 am
by monoboard | 352 Posts

I have a 2015 320 purchased off Adventure Leisure & they said no problem with nose weight fitting a 2 bike rack on the A frame which they duly did. I ended up having to be incredibly carful & having to use 2 3.9kg (or what ever size the baby bottles are) bottles. I have changed my tow vehicle now and will put the bikes in that which will help my nose weight + i used to mount one bike & then move caravan on to the rd with motor mover & then when its on the towbar mount the 2nd bike due to not being able to spin the jockey wheel handle when the 2nd bike was on the rack!

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 8F9FA60B-F741-4E8B-B7EA-FE2FBAA02F9D.jpeg 

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:25 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 53 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12531 topics and 105718 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1