Have I turned into a wuss, I want to stay warm, is this normal?

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 06, 2021 9:52 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.325 Posts

We're north of Totnes and sky is clear without another night of groundfrost and 1c forecast.
Last night I pre-empted things and left the roof down. As a short arse of 5'8" with a newer van I can do this and easily walk along the van. My 500 watt electric radiator had to stay on all night on the thermostat at 18c, a temperature it did not reach. Tonight I'm doing the same but I've now also rolled a towel up and laid it on the floor near the Truma. It was blowing a hooly underneath it.
Have I turned into a wuss or is this reaction to cold normal?

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Alan, Randa france, Stan Doori and campnsnooze like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Have I turned into a wuss, I want to stay warm, is this normal?

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 06, 2021 10:15 pm
by Alan | 77 Posts

I am a shorter arse than you at 5’6” in my socks, and I too am feeling the cold but have overcome that over night by using an electric blanket in the van! Half an hour before bed and it’s toasty for most of the night.

Magpie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 06, 2021 10:26 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Wuss +1

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Alan likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 06, 2021 11:02 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Colin

All I can say is wait until you actually get old instead of advanced middle-aged, and then you will really feel the cold........................................!

Mike

Alan, eribaMotters and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 06, 2021 11:34 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

Peripheral polyneuropathy has meant my toes have felt cold, despite actually being warm, for the last five years. My fingers aren't so badly affected but the fingertips do get cold unless I wear gloves in temperatures I wouldn't have dreamt of wearing gloves in before. Having permanently cold toes, even in the hottest weather is not a nice thing. It's not that they're actually cold, but the nerves in the toes are shot and tell the brain they're cold. It's a weird sensation.

Memories of Totnes.

Waiting in the station car park for my parents to arrive from Paddington, with my company Talbot Alpine on a rescue trailer, having succumbed to an overcharging alternator at Sedgemoor MSA. The trailer was pulled by a LWB Defender fitted with a Rover V8. As we powered up the hill out of Totnes heading for Kingsbridge, the Defender's top hose blew off and we ground to a halt in a cloud of steam in a farm entrance. The recovery driver managed to get replacement water from the farm and refitted the top hose. He then deposited us all at our holiday cottage in Churchstow. On the Monday the local Kingsbridge Talbot dealership collected my car and we hired a replacement to get around during our week break.

I wish you better vehicle luck in Totnes

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 07, 2021 7:43 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

We frequently sleep with the roof down because of cold and or noise. I also have a cosy supply of snuggly fleece blankets to supplement the bedding ....got to be toasty!

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 07, 2021 9:39 am
by marmite | 400 Posts

hot water bottle - radical idea I know

Essential kit at our place for winter vanning

Denise & Phil

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 07, 2021 10:10 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

At 5'2" I can do a pogo dance with the roof down. We have the Truma electric element and leave this on low tick over during a cold night. I also made a thermal poptop blind which keeps the heat in. I think all this coupled with the Famila been small it doesn't get cold at night with the roof up. I will only drop it when it's blowing a hooley.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 07, 2021 10:18 am
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Zitat
Quote Eribamotters:- Have I turned into a wuss or is this reaction to cold normal?

It's old age lovely boy. Get used to it

What is also interesting is the fact that Mr Motters considers himself to be a shortarse (his words not mine). I know that over time we all get a little shorter with age but I am amazed at how many older people on this forum are over six foot tall. Can I ask, are all your offspring also tall or are you the tallest in the family?

Likewise, shorter people, are your kids short or do they tower over you? Kids nowadays seem to grow far taller than in my days.

I have gone through life thinking my 5' 9" was about par for the course and although I would have liked my kids to be taller they are all around my height. I was the tallest in my class at school until I was about 15.

Another question to Alan. Are you the same Alan as in Alan and Marie (shortarses) or are you a different Alan?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Fri May 07, 2021 10:32 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 07, 2021 11:06 am
by Morphy | 966 Posts

Got to say we or I am firmly in the camp of being a wuss Bev is the other way likes to sleep with the top up. But I like it down mainly due to the cold but also because of the noise. I thought I was/well I was 5.10 but I went to one of them well men clinics. After being weighed then measured I saw the nurse writing 5.8.

I said wow hang on there a minute I am 5.10 a argument then started although it being friendly. Eventually the nurse agreed to measure me again this time I watched carefully the outcome. It was true 5.8 I apologised of course. It was a shock to me someone had pinched two inches which may not seem a lot to most people. But in my book two inch is two inch and it was my two inch that has gone! As Roger says old age the only thing in my opinion you get with old age that is wisdom.

However even in our older Troll I could walk about top down with just my hair touching on the roof. On the new Troll even that should not be a problem as I now have less hair and probably shrunk a bit more. Morphy

New Troll 540GT on the way Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.
Randa france and sibillini like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 07, 2021 11:08 am

In really cold weather we keep the little oil-filled radiator on to give background heat and take the chill off.

We're never cold in bed as we sleep on the things that you lay on top of the mattress whose name has gone completely from my head. Then we have sheets and we each have our own quilt. At the bottom of the bed we have an old fashioned king-size woollen blanket that we pull over in the middle of the night so we are warm as Islay's toast.

Except for one area my ears that seem to be cold detectors. I have a bobble hat but then my head gets too hot. Unless of course it is really freezing outside and drips start from the aluminium trim round the pop top right onto my head......! All part of the joys of camping.

We have stopped using the gas heater and instead have a small fan heater with a thermostat that blows warm air to the back of the van, where we sit if the bed isn't made up..

We like Islay are normally toasty.

MikeT

Oh and we are still toying with Poptops draft excluder thingy, given how expensive the Hymer draft excluder is.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 07, 2021 11:15 am
by Ellen | 31 Posts

With regards to height, or my lack of it. I was at a routine check up with the nurse a few years ago , when she measured my height (4ft 10 1/2" ) she said that if i shrank much more I would legally need a booster seat in the car 😮

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 07, 2021 11:54 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

It’s probably an age thing. I’ve found myself considering an electric blanket, last had ones of those in the early 80’s.
As for height, 6ft husband, daughter is 5’11”, me a mere 5’3” last time I checked, could be shorter 🤔

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 07, 2021 12:13 pm

Kath is 5'2" and glibly says that she doesn't understand all this Eriba kiss on the head fuss............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is until she hears me howl with pain and then start to wimper like a puppy........................no sympathy at all

MikeT

Magpie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 07, 2021 1:13 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

All this talk of height has made me get my Stanley tape measure out.

Oooooo, like Steve, I've shrunk, but only by an inch and it's not accounted for by the hair that's disappeared under mysterious circumstances.

At age 73 I'm down to 6ft 1ins, which means I can fit nicely in a 6ft 4ins berth. Asking for 6ft 5ins in a caravan was always a likely to be met with a blank stare. I don't believe most manufacturers believe there's anyone over 5ft 10ins in the world. As it happens 5ft 10ins is the height of the average UK male. So if caravans don't provide beds longer than 6ft 1ins they aren't catering for about 25% of the UK adult population (on the basis that most UK women are shorter.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 14 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105771 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5