skirts

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 13, 2021 10:08 am
by monoboard | 350 Posts

caravan skirts, I've never used one or really seen one close up. Do most people use them with an awning and can you get access into the track where its buts up next to your wheel arch

Scroll up

RE: skirts

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 13, 2021 10:19 am
by Randa france | 12.864 Posts

For a full awning we always used one. You can get them 700mm deep to tuck under the ground sheet.

The channel is located just underneath the sides of the van and they can get cruddied up if not used regulalry. We always find that starting them off at the wheel arch and running them over the wheel to the other side of the wheel arch , is the difficult bit.

There are many solutions to cover the skirt and wheel to finish things off.

The benefits of having a skirt is that it stops animals getting into your awning via the underside of the van and also it stops wind from blowing under with the worry that a sudden gust may upend your awning.

This is the only pic I can find at the moment as we rarely used our full awning.

IMG_5852.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

monoboard and like this post!
Last edited Thu May 13, 2021 10:31 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 13, 2021 12:50 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

You will have problems on the newer vans as the rear light cluster surround covers part of the track. I have cut a notch in the cord part of my skirt and fold this end so it is inside the awning and hold it in place with a clothes peg.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Randa france and monoboard like this post!
Last edited Thu May 13, 2021 1:16 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 13, 2021 5:44 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.110 Posts

Hi Monoboard

We always use ours if we put a full awning up. We stuff the bottom edge under the carpet like Randa and use pegs at the ends.

We seem to get to get to some quite windy sites and it keeps out the drafts from under the van.

We also got quite a bit of draft over the top of the wheel above the skirt so I have mage a Heath Robinson piece of plywood to fit in the wheel arch.

I will try to find a picture

IMG_20201008_160802969_HDR (2).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

IMG_20201008_160841402_HDR (2).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

MikeT

eribanaut and monoboard like this post!
Last edited Thu May 13, 2021 5:46 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 14, 2021 11:41 am
by rs540 | 261 Posts

This one is posh...

g8p3070-IMG.html#com902

Randa france, SOULBLUESMAN68 and monoboard like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat May 15, 2021 12:10 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.110 Posts

RS I bet it costs a few bob to buy one.?

Have never seen one in use on a site, but it is very stylish

I might spay my plywood one silver and stencil Hymer on it. Don't think it would be quite as stylish though but perhaps an original future classic & a collectors item ..............................!

Miket

monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat May 15, 2021 12:33 pm
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: SOULBLUESMAN68 wrote in post #6
RS I bet it costs a few bob to buy one.?

Looking closely at the photo I would say it's homemade, probably from fibreglass, or maybe a plywood/fibreglass mix...

Maybe Darren Millar could knock something like this up. You would think the wheel arches are all the same size across the models although I appreciate they change depending on van versions which change every few years. Darren has the Eribastuff retro parts site which he advertises on the Facebook pages, I might ask him if it is viable and if he thinks there would be enough interest...

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 33 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105592 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4