Outside table

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 15, 2021 2:54 pm
by Arti (deleted)

Hi folks,
Got a '74 Familia. I've noticed that many of you have a rail outside your door for your table. I'd be interested in being able to do this too. I've seen the lift off hinge rails and I'm good with a drill, but wanted to know what kind of fixings you use. I'm guessing you're not simply using self-tappers directly in to the ali skin. Are they riveted or some sort of captive nut used?
Any hints and tips gratefully received.
Darren

Scroll up

RE: Outside table

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 15, 2021 3:10 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.001 Posts

The van side fitting is screwed through the skin into one of the pieces of tubular steel framework that forms the basis of the Touring bodyshells. On 320 and 310 Familias they are positioned just above the wheel arch. If your van doesn't have one fitted then you need to find out where the frame runs as it differs from model to model as it allows for different window, door, fridge vent and other openings. There is an obvious risk if you start drilling holes and you need to certain before commencing.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 15, 2021 3:51 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

presumably you can use a magnet to detect where the steel structure is. Maybe tape on some paper first and mark out with a pencil. The tricky thing would be work out where the centre of the tube frame is. Wouldn't want to just catch the edge and screw into thin air.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 15, 2021 4:01 pm

I think a lightweight folding table is a lot less risk and you can position it anywhere you like if it has four legs.

Something like this https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/outdoo...ing-table-large

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 15, 2021 4:37 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts

Darren,
I am not averse to drilling holes in my Eriba, but would not attempt fixing the outside rail. You have to be 100% accurate.I know we are all different, but I can only think of a handful of times we have attached the table to the outside rail since Eriba ownership started back in 2003. I have used it for a long home made table to take a fridge, but for eating we use a 4ft blow moulded plastic table, similar to the Lifetime range sold at Homebase.
https://www.homebase.co.uk/elysium.searc...=lifetime+table The fixed 4ft version just about fits across the rear seats of most cars.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Sat May 15, 2021 4:38 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 15, 2021 4:45 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

My Eriba Feeling doesn't have the internal steel frame as per Tourings and I fixed an external table rail using self tappers and bedding mastic.

This was 3 years ago and so far it's been fine as the aluminium rails have a reasonable surface area sufficient to provide a good fixing.

The Hymer original type wall and table rails are stocked by one of my trade suppliers and not too expensive.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 15, 2021 4:52 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts

I can see why and how a learned chap as your good self managed the job John, but isn't the side of your van more rigid than a 1974 Famila.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 15, 2021 4:55 pm

Presumably you have to be certain you've fixed the thing horizontal in both planes or you could have a wonky table and a level van or vice versa.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 15, 2021 8:07 pm
by Arti (deleted)

Thanks everyone. Back-burner has been lit in readiness for this particular idea.

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 31 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105653 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4