Choosing the right tow car

in We've got it down to a T Tue May 18, 2021 11:54 am
by Totoro (deleted)

Hi,
We are looking to change our car (currently a Golf SV 1.4 125hp). It needs to work for us when we are towing our Triton 418 (and also when we are not!).
I've found this website; https://towcar.info which gives really good feedback about a car/caravan compatibility. Does anyone know how reliable it is?
We live in a pretty mountainous region in northern Spain and we've been weighing up some different options, a Volvo XC40 1.5 T3 Automatic (163hp) and a Volvo XC40 2.0 B4 Automatic 4x4 (197hp). Any thoughts?
Note; in addition to the Triton, the car will have 4 people, 2 or 3 bikes, and a full boot (most of the time)

Many thanks.
Neil

Scroll up

RE: Choosing the right tow car

in We've got it down to a T Tue May 18, 2021 12:23 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but if you're towing and carrying loads of clobber, my own starting point would be to go for the most powerful car you can afford to run.

It'll also be the one which is most fun to drive when you aren't towing and it isn't full of clobber.

eribaMotters and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue May 18, 2021 12:58 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 998 Posts

I don't think that you can rely on any of the towcar matching sites for accuracy and need to double check your figures with the manufacturer's data before taking any action.

This morning I looked up our 2017 Skoda Yeti 1.2 DSG on one and was puzzled because the results looked odd. When I looked into the data columns it was listing the towing limit as 1500kg and using that figure to make up the Gross Train Weight. The 1.2's towing limit is and always has been 1200kg. So a substantial error.

I suspect both of the cars you mention, with those power figures, are overkill for pulling a Triton, unless they have some issue that limits their capability but I guess pulling a Triton is only part of the story.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue May 18, 2021 2:19 pm
by Randa france | 12.870 Posts

I agree with Pete, but also go for a car with a huge amount of interior space especially as you're carrying 4 people. Something like a VW Sharon, Seat Alhambra or Ford Galaxy would be my choice for although you can't take the seats out nowaydays, with 4 passengers you'll need to leave them in anyway and still have a lot of carrying capacity.
Perhaps a long wheel base VW Caddy would also be good. The Ford Tourneo looks good as well.

Randa.

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Tue May 18, 2021 2:25 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue May 18, 2021 3:46 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #4
Perhaps a long wheel base VW Caddy would also be good. The Ford Tourneo looks good as well.
Waaah.

They aren't cars, they're builder's vans with windows.

What are you like?

scouteralf likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue May 18, 2021 11:12 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

I much prefer the Opel Tracy to the Volkswagen Sharon, Roger.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue May 18, 2021 11:16 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 998 Posts

Keep up Calder the Tracy is trans and now known as the Opel Oliver.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed May 19, 2021 8:03 am

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #6
I much prefer the Opel Tracy to the Volkswagen Sharon, Roger.

Or even a Nissan Gloria? Unfortunetly for Pete however, Ester not a van
R

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 20, 2021 12:02 pm

In preparation for our first trip out with the Eriba this year, I've just removed the three rear seats from our Touran. The other two fold into the floor.

God, they are heavy and I've often wondered just how much they weight. Just weighed them in at 38 pounds each. that's over 17 kgms or over 50 kgms in total.
As we only occassionally use the car as a five seater now that the grandchildren are all at school, it's a lot of excess weight to be dragging around. The smaller folding seats must weight a bit too and take up some more valuable space. I can only ever remember using them once so I might have a go at removing them.

When we bought the car we had the option of not having them fitted but it cost more not to have them and the sales man rightly said that it might devalue the car upon resale as it would no longer be a seven seater.

Randa

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 58 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12522 topics and 105641 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3