Towing in wind

in We've got it down to a T Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:37 am
by Captain Calamity | 342 Posts

I have to get my pride and joy to Travelworld next week. Forecast winds are 22mph with gusts up to 42 mph.
The question is, when do you give up and stay at home because of wind? I have a decent tow-car (Tiguan) and an ALKO hitch and I’m sure I’ve been out and about in 22 mph before but not sure about strong gusts.

Capn C

Scroll up

RE: Towing in wind

in We've got it down to a T Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:45 am
by eribaMotters | 5.306 Posts

I would not worry,but I'd be thoughtful when approaching sign posted areas of high wind such as when crossing valleys etc.
One year coming back from France we approached Calais wondering what all the fuss was about on the news, ferries cancelled, Dartford bridge crossing Essex to Kent closed etc then realised why. Whilst our outfit a Touran and Familia was nice and stable I realised I coulf only just hold 60mph due to the wind slowing me down.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:50 am
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

Go for it. No problem. If I had to worry about 22mph winds I would never leave the runway.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:01 am
by Captain Calamity | 342 Posts

I’m a bit more concerned about gusts which the met office are now saying will reach 47mph on Tuesday. Does that just mean taking a bit more care, maybe keeping the speed down?

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:17 am
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

Yes, the higher the speed the less stable you will be. Try and avoid exposed areas and high bridges if that is relevant.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:51 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Try something other than Bob Dylan..... oh! sorry "Towing in the wind"...

That killed that conversation then! sorry guys....

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi

Shady Pines likes this post!
Last edited Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:36 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 20, 2021 10:35 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Advice please:

In the south west today: wind speeds of 60mph forecast today and 65mph tomorrow

Am towing my 530 with a Q5 and need to leave site tomorrow to get to another site for friday night.

Is this doable/wise or should I postpone?

Rgds

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 20, 2021 10:57 am
by Randa france | 12.870 Posts

Well you can't get a much better combination if you need to tow. Obviously safer to stay put for a day or so.

As you know, the Eriba is very stable but you MUST keep your speed down and read the road well in front ( trees, open ground, articulated vehicles). I'd be more worry about some of the ********* you may encounter on your journey.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu May 20, 2021 11:15 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 20, 2021 11:06 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Thanks for the reply.

I'll see how the wind actually pans out before deciding.

It would mostly be on A roads/dual carriageways if I do.

Rgds

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri May 21, 2021 9:39 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Well, having made the journey, either the wind didn’t blow that strong in the south west today or else the Eriba was very very stable in it.

Good to establish some sort of reference for the future :)

Randa france, Sportique and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat May 22, 2021 7:33 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

One of our first trips out with Betty the wind was very strong. Yann said it was fine - he just took it very steady. We did notice that the only other caravans we came across were Eribas!

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Frantone, Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat May 22, 2021 9:08 am
by eribaMotters | 5.306 Posts

Twice we have towed in very windy conditions and on both occasions did not realise how bad it was outside.
One year on the way back through France to Dunkirk port friends phoned us to take care. Channel crossings were delayed as ships could not enter/exit port and the Dartford bridge in Essex which we had to cross had been closed. As we approached the coast I noticed the car slowed down but no stability issues.
Second time was our first outing with new towcar. May 2019 driving to Devon we hit a severe storm, again no stability issues and only sign of how windy it was reflected in low mpg.
I am not advocating to deliberately set out into 60/70mph winds, but if you catch one you may not realise it.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Frantone, Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Sat May 22, 2021 9:10 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat May 22, 2021 9:17 am
by Frantone | 102 Posts

Had very similar experiences. The worst was leaving Sandringham many years ago. Despite warnings not to drive, the campsite insisted we leave as it was end of season closing day.
The roads through the fens near Ely were very exposed and we saw several caravans in fields on their sides! However we had no stability issues and our only difficulty was trying to ignore the gestures and abuse from other drivers who thought we should not have been on the road. ( I think that’s what they meant😊)

Last edited Sat May 22, 2021 9:17 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun May 23, 2021 8:34 pm
by John Cross | 263 Posts

After years of towing a WWB, in many weather scenarios, I found that towing our Troll was a different matter, I almost forgot we were towing her. These vans aren't slab sided like WWB's and don't seem to react to wind like larger vans.

Troll 540 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
Captain Calamity likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 44 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105649 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5