Anyone got anything to say about this ?

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:40 pm
by Sashella (deleted)

We have a 2015 Troll with those ridiculous tiny low down brake lights plus the high up brake strip light which has packed up. We are away and not confident travelling with the two tiny low down brake lights alone. Took off the brake strip light to find the wires just go inside the van, probably behind the top lockers and also just straight into the actual strip light. In other words there is no way of taking this thing off without cutting the wires. So contacted AL - virtual silence on the other end of the phone, no suggestions, but admittedly it was Saturday. No car or caravan dealer in the area we are staying stock anything like ‘strip brake lights’. Can’t buy online as we will be moving on soon. So I guess it will have to be taped over to show drivers behind us that it’s out of use. Then we will be travelling with only those tiny brake lights all the way home. Uurrgh ! What to do once we arrive home is anyone’s guess. Cut the wires I guess and try to rejoin on to a new strip with about 1/4 inch of wire to play with, hoping we don’t bugger up the two brake lights by doing so. We won’t be going anywhere then !! Ridiculous in my opinion.

In love with our 530 !!😁
Scroll up

RE: Anyone got anything to say about this ?

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:04 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

Two thought.

Firstly the rear brake light will conform to Construction and Use regulations, the high level brake light is a relatively new requirement, well new, given I'm 73. I suspect that driving with an inoperative high level brake light may well be illegal these days and if you're spotted you could be in for a fine and points on the licence.

How do you know that the high level brake light unit has failed? It may well be a fault in the rest of the system somewhere, so replacing the light unit won't resolve anything. It needs a proper fault finding session to make sure you're getting the diagnosis right.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:28 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi Sasheila

Sorry to hear about your brake light problem. This might be no use at all but one of our internal lights failed to come on Fortunately we were neat ALV at Tebay & they had recently done a service for us. We drove straight in and the mechanic said he would have a quick look. He sorted it in a minute and said it was simply that a wire connection at the back of the light had worked loose. He said it sometimes happened with the lighting.

I wonder if somewhere within the van there might be a wire that has worked loose that connects into the high brake light?. I'm sorry as I am not at all technical & I have no idea where you might find this.

Just a thought. Good luck in sorting the problem.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:48 am
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

I feel your pain. I often worry about brake lights etc and agree that it is also my opinion that the light clusters on newer Eribas are far too low. I've travelled in convoy with one or two and have made that observation before.

We have wired a third brake light into our Troll which is of an age when they weren't fitted. We also have a removable refective strip across the inside rear window of the van. Not a brake light I know but perhaps roll up your refective jackets and put them in the back window?

Is your tow car quite tall? If so, perhaps you could remove everything from the front and rear windows so that the car's high level brake light can be seen through the van?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:47 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

This may be irrelevant, however I got caught out with the top brake light not working properly when I was picking up my 2015 Familia from new. The caravan engineer was baffled as it checked ok. The problem was I was checking the lights with the engine off, with the engine on they were perfectly ok. He said that it happens quite often with a lot of new cars as their isn't enough ampage to light them up without the engine ticking over.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:03 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #4
I often worry about brake lights etc
I think the etc is the key thing in that sentence.

You could save yourself a lot of typing if you just posted things you don't worry about

And no, we haven't set off for Dorset yet.

I've spent the morning trying to check that the brake lights on the caravan work when I press the pedal in the car. I'm just not as spry as I was forty years ago - every time I get out of the car and leg it round the back the lights have gone off by the time I get there.

Maybe I could rig something up with a mirror.

Randa france, scouteralf and John Cross like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:09 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Maybe a new pair of Nike
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:10 am
by Sashella (deleted)

We know it has failed because on pushing the brake pedal in the car, only 2 lower brake lights come on.

In love with our 530 !!😁
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:11 am
by Sashella (deleted)

Thanks for your reply. The car is very low ! It’s an estate Volvo. 😊

In love with our 530 !!😁
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:12 am
by Sashella (deleted)

Engine definitely running !!

In love with our 530 !!😁
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:14 am
by Sashella (deleted)

Thank you for that. Guess we will be taking the van in to AL on return

In love with our 530 !!😁
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:34 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Sashella wrote in post #11
Thank you for that. Guess we will be taking the van in to AL on return
Do you have a multimeter?

If you do, and it seems from your first post that you can access the connections on the high-level brake light, I'd suggest checking across those connections for continuity.

You put one of the multimeter's leads - probes - on each of the connections and the meter's battery sends a tiny current through the light assembly. If that current doesn't get from one lead to the other, the light unit itself is goosed.

It's a good place to start.

If you don't have a multimeter, could I humbly suggest getting one?

They aren't expensive, and neither are they difficult to use. Having one will almost certainly save you a lot of time and money.

Poptop320, Randa france and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:52 pm
by Sashella (deleted)

Will do that. Thank you

In love with our 530 !!😁
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:01 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #6
I've spent the morning trying to check that the brake lights on the caravan work when I press the pedal in the car. I'm just not as spry as I was forty years ago - every time I get out of the car and leg it round the back the lights have gone off by the time I get there.

I'm interested to know why you think the brake light had gone off before you reached the back of the caravan - that implies that you knew they had been on (they cant go off if they were never on!)

Dave

Dave & Taka
Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Duo T

Last edited Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:01 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:11 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

Quote: Sportique wrote in post #14
Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #6

I'm interested to know why you think the brake light had gone off before you reached the back of the caravan - that implies that you knew they had been on (they cant go off if they were never on!)

Dave

Ah but that's supposing they weren't on when you thought they weren't, but they might've been on all the time, but just gone off just as you got round the back. Did you ever check that when you went past the back of the car, they were only half on and half off?

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 21 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2