A new canopy under development. - CaravanCanopyShop

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:46 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

Over the weekend we were lucky to have a chance meeting with Mary & Richard of CaravanCanopyShop.

Following the demise of the Vision Canopy they are working on an alternative, again aiming at something with premium feel to the product. They are aiming for a single size as to produce a variety of sizes would get expensive. They tried out there prototype, at 2.0m in length on our van and as you can see it looks promising. As I'm a bit of an anorak they asked for opinion, so I politely obliged:-

- nice weighty fabric feel and not a ripstop nylon affair.
- I questioned the need for front windows as a light grey main fabric offers light through and offers some privacy. Dark grey for the tube areas would look good and no need for a highlight colour.
- is a skirt really needed at the bottom?
- 2.0m with 3 air tubes is to short to offer side protection, at 2.5m with 4 tubes the product would fit Familia, Triton and Troll, although one tube may be in the area of the outside light.
- door clearance is fine.
- individual air tubes are nice, no interconnection and possibility of pipes leaking.
- short horizontal bracing tubes could have velcro mounts at different locations.
- storm strap idea nice
- a couple of bracing horizontal tubes at the top, near awning rail would be nice. They would not be needed on the end two sections as one would infringe on the door opening. Tie chords also pull the top area of the awning tight to either the caravan grab handles or you could use the Isabella anti awning pull out widgets.
- proper awning pegs please
- avoid a duffle bag type awning bag and go for a side zip type that allows easier packing and has a couple of pull straps on it to squeeze contents.
- Instead of going for a 2.5m model as I originally thought , if you stuck with a 2m, ideal for the Basecamp, and added a 3m to the range for other vans, would production costs be contained as you are working in 1m increments and as such standard units/parts?

Richard replied:-
We made the 2m canopy a priority as its the size we always sell out of first and have the biggest demand for. having used it this weekend with a table and chairs under (that stayed dry last night) its a size we ourselves would not have considered (we always went for 2.5m also) so its a difficult one. With larger/longer canopies we will be competing with established makers such as Kampa and Sunncamp.
We really like the multiple velcro zone idea and though we could even sell bars and hooks to fit in these sections for hanging towels etc.

Richard has asked if I can test v2 out when it is ready which I'm happy to oblige with. Can folk please let this one run as I'll keep members up to date as the product develops. The timescale on this is unknown as is price as they are developing a new product, not rebranding one.

P1040827-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1040828-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1040829-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1040830-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1040831-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
GT runner, and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

RE: A new canopy under development. - CaravanCanopyShop

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:21 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 995 Posts

Is there a way that they could sell 1m sections with a zipper that provides a waterproof seal, so you could have 1m, 2m, 3m, 4m wide canopies by zipping in additional sections. The end zips could be used to fit end panels.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG

, Steve and Debbie, SOULBLUESMAN68 and like this post!
Last edited Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:22 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:29 pm

The thought had crossed my mind Andy but I discounted it as having a zip on the roof, no matter how well you lap the area would probably leak.
Hopefully Mary & Richard will look in at the thread and might pick up on comments they think could work.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:25 am
by GT runner | 291 Posts

How about some zip in end panels with windows (and one with a window and door) ? Make the whole set about 2.5m wide and I think it would be a winner. With zip in end panels it would keep the weight down when pulling onto the awning trail. What do you think? What, what !

and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:31 am

Robbie, that would be nice. Richard explained the biggest problem they face is getting something different out to the widest market possible. Examples of what you suggest are available from the big manufactures, although not particularly of the quality we would prefer. This means a "one size" approach so they can go for pop-tops, VW size campers, the rear door Basecamp and normal caravans, I remember him saying the Vision Canopy that they sold was available in 13 different sizes. Even a market leading manufacturer such as Wigo who produced this could not run such a wide range and one reason why the product is now a thing of the past. Hence a 2m only high quality canopy with limited front protection, which at present I do not think is well served in the market place.

Colin

and GT runner like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:37 am
by caravancanopyshop (deleted)

"Is there a way that they could sell 1m sections with a zipper that provides a waterproof seal, so you could have 1m, 2m, 3m, 4m wide canopies by zipping in additional sections. The end zips could be used to fit end panels."

I like this idea, a kind of modular version (coming from an exhibition industry background it appeals as its used everywhere) You would maybe have to have two air tubes placed together to keep the structure.

Last edited Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:38 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:45 am
by caravancanopyshop (deleted)

Quote: GT runner wrote in post #4
How about some zip in end panels with windows (and one with a window and door) ? Make the whole set about 2.5m wide and I think it would be a winner. With zip in end panels it would keep the weight down when pulling onto the awning trail. What do you think? What, what !

We thought end panels would make it into more of an awning, We want to try and keep the simple canopy idea but with other options. An idea that I had while sitting under it yesterday was to have a semi windbreak, triangular in shape coming off the side poles (attached to pole with velcro) this would create a "snug" wind proof area but not covering the whole side.

scouteralf and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:47 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 995 Posts

Quote: caravancanopyshop wrote in post #6
"Is there a way that they could sell 1m sections with a zipper that provides a waterproof seal, so you could have 1m, 2m, 3m, 4m wide canopies by zipping in additional sections. The end zips could be used to fit end panels."

I like this idea, a kind of modular version (coming from an exhibition industry background it appeals as its used everywhere) You would maybe have to have two air tubes placed together to keep the structure.

I know that the Fiamma Zip awning fittings are a form of zip that certainly never leaked when we used them, though that was nearly 10 years ago. There were presumably other bits of construction the helped stop water entry but I can't remember how it all went together now. Two airbeams on each 1m section would add expense but aid strength and stability. The other pro's would be ease of handling, ease of packing, flexibility in use, ease of increasing or reducing size, availability of used sections and a market to sell sections not needed.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:16 pm
by Ralph79 | 162 Posts

The 2m size is perfect for a puck like mine....and there are very few alternatives out there in that size.

I would certainly be interested if the price is competitive, as would many other puck owners I'm sure.

Ralph

Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:02 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Hi Colin, thanks for that. Have you seen the new Dometic Hub awning?. 2.5m square cube. Very well made and very light weight. Costs a bit, but it looks very good (to me) and lots of flexible options to zip in.

https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/product...ic-hub-_-268870

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:01 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.110 Posts

Hi Colin

As a fellow awning/canopy addict this is a really interesting thread - it is over a year since I added to our collection!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also I love the Isabella Shadow as you know but am always looking of ways to improve it in practice

Love the look of it when first saw it - it looks a bit special and different. The essential beauty of the Shadow is how quickly you can set it up and, in our experience, its relative sturdiness. Some people who don't use the third guy get pooling on the roof but this doesn't look like it would suffer from it. It also looks very spacious.

Its very spaciousness may make it susceptible to water blowing in from the sides when the wind is blowing in a certain direction. I like the idea of a sidepiece (s) on the front end to prevent this . Although it might be that Eriba owners with the detachable outside table might need/prefer something on the van body side. Although a wind break may be able to solve this.

(Bumped into the Triton-owning Mackies at Knaresborough last week and they were singing the praises of a new airbeam windbreak with their Shadow - think it was a Kampa-Dometic one).

It might be a bit too narrow for our Troll with only two panels. SDTs suggestion of a zip-in extra panel was an interesting one.

It might be if they do get this up and running and it is a success the development of a zip on side for one end would make it interesting, especially if it could be made to zip on either side to alter use according to wind direction.

The down to the ground is an interesting one Colin's Swift Canopy has the air gap at the bottom so is probably more robust in wind than our Swift Vareo Low but I do like it going to the ground. In fact after some strong winds this week I am going to put some eyelets to take pegs in the front panel on the Vareo where it can zip out to act as a canopy,

Wish Mary & Richard good luck with it as there does seem to be a gap in the market for something a bit sturdier & stylish

MikeT

Last edited Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:02 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:05 pm

This looks interesting Robbie

My first thought would be to wonder about pooling water on the top and then how robust it would be in a strong side wind.

Be interested to hear people's experiences with it

MikeT

GT runner likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:30 am
by GT runner | 291 Posts

I think it might be ok regarding pooling Mike. It has a dome roof and the vids I have seem on you tube certainly make it appear sturdy. I am very close to buying one in the interest (I have told Mrs W) of research for the wider Eriba community :-)

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:10 am

Good man - tell Mrs W that you have our full support in this selfless piece of research.........................

Mike

GT runner likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:37 am
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Did that and apparently we are all as mad as each other, and if I continue with my research I will have to sleep in the caravan (in the garage).

scouteralf and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 55 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12512 topics and 105581 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4