Awning rail repair

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:35 pm
by Andrew Carter (deleted)

Hi all, I'm afraid I made a school-boy error yesterday evening! We arrived and set-up and put out our pull-out canopy/awning, but in our haste to make a prearranged appointment, forgot to peg it out correctly . When we got back the wind had blown it over the top of the van, pulling the fixings from the awning rail and bending it.

The awning is intact, however the rail is somewhat worse for wear...

20210626_171906 (3).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

We've temporarily filled with silicone to stop any leaks where the fixing screws pulled out. I've tried cautiously bending/taping/hammering but it feels like it will do more damage to the rest of the rail. I've read that it may be best to cut the rail and fix a new piece on...

What are peoples thoughts for a permanent repair - all suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks, Andy

Scroll up

RE: Awning rail repair

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:49 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.320 Posts

Andy, I'm afraid it will have to come off. You should be able to get a replacement as one continual length if you are prepared to collect or as 3 x 1m lengths if delivered.
Make sure everything is spotlessly clean before fixing your new rail with Sikafllex [not silicon] and stainless screws. It will be a measy job so masking tape the area around where the rail will go.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
cruickie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:54 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Colin's right - it would be impossible to straighten that rail to anything like it should be.

I see it's pop-riveted in places, those will have to be drilled out carefully to avoid widening the holes in the roof.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:29 pm
by Andrew Carter (deleted)

Thanks guys. If it's available in 1m lengths, could I trim back by 1m, then fix the new strip - this would leave the remaing part untouched? Would that be OK?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:54 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

I thought it was difficult to drill and screw into fibreglass. Is that why pop rivets were used ?

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:45 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.007 Posts

Whether the remaining part is actually untouched probably remains to be seen, given the stresses one end has suffered, I'd be surprised if the rest hasn't been disturbed in some way.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:02 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.320 Posts

The pop rivets are a surprise to me. When I fitted my first high awning rail I contacted the Sikaflex technical department and they said in theory no mechanical fixings were needed. I went against the advice, managed to locate the steel framework in the roof and screw into this along with bonding along the full length with Sikaflex and another half dozen or so screws into the GRP roof. For the screw fittings into the GRP I drilled a 2.5mm pilot hole and then spun a csk drill in my fingers to take the edge off the holes and reduce the risk of any crazing of the top GRP gelcoat. For fixings into the steel framework I drilled 2.5mm pilot holes into the steelwork and then increased those in the GRP to 3 or 3.2mm clearance holes.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:11 pm
by JohnE (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

A single 3 metre length Werbung: here

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 27 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12534 topics and 105730 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5