RE: Help, Scottish midges

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:02 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

FB_IMG_1624986084723.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:12 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

Not much help until after they have bitten you but I have heard they don’t like Marmite so provided you like it try eating that 🤷‍♀️

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:16 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

I guess midges either love or hate marmite the same as their hosts: the problem is the next time you're bitten you dont know if the midge is a first timer or not:)

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:20 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

That’s why I said it was not much help. I’m a font of useless information.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:47 pm
by Captain Calamity | 346 Posts

Just been to the following sites over the last five weeks - Stonehaven, Dingwall, Dunnet Bay, Dunster, Ullapool, Glenmore, Scone. The only midges we encountered were at Glenmore (not many and no need for nets). The thing is, midges cannot fly if the wind is above 5mph. Stick to coastal sites in June July and August and you won’t have a problem.
Capn C

Doonhamer likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:56 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I can assure you it is impossible.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Mercedes GLA 220d 4Matic
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:15 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

I also am very tempting for mosquitos - in the caravan I use one of these. We don't have a screen on the door, but with the window screens down and this plugged in I manage to avoid bites in the van. I don't know if it work for midges.
https://www.cdiscount.com/jardin/entrete...zxoCF48QAvD_BwE

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Last edited Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:16 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:09 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.120 Posts

Hi Islay

We have used something like this inside our big air awning and in our airbeam Berghaus tent and it does seem to have some effect. Got to say though that I am not over keen on the smell.

We also use did have another French one which was like a green coil on an aluminium base that you lit the end of the coil and it slowly smouldered during the night. That one smelt really chemically and we stopped using it round the children when they were young..

Kath also tried an anti-mossie wrist and ankle band that looked quite colourful but seemed to have no effect on detering mossies or midges.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:24 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Try this midge deterrent...

FB_IMG_1625073787749.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Steamdrivenandy, SOULBLUESMAN68 and Pip1136 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:42 pm
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Mike, the plug in has no smell whatsoever. There are plenty to choose from from and they work very well. Like your wife, I have been on antibiotics with swollen limbs and in a terrible state. I can vouch for this type. Not outside, but inside they're great. We often go to the Loire where they have the awful tiger mozzies and since I use these plugins, I'm fine IN th van. There's not a lot you can do if you want to sit outside, other than cover yourself in Deet.
:(

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.

SOULBLUESMAN68 and monoboard like this post!
Last edited Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:46 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:49 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

I was on one Scottish midge website & it mentioned having a plug in fan even outside on the table to keep them off you & your lunch. I might take one, nothing to loose!!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:24 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

Roof vent on 2015 320, do they just prise off? I'm hoping to line with fine white midge netting when a company has stock shortly.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:52 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.319 Posts

The square mushroom vent top has a 12mm rectangular slot down each side. Four tabs locate into these slots. You need to get your fingers behind the lip of the top and carefully ease the first tab out. Once the first two are out then 3 and 4 come easier. When it is off it would be a good idea to leave it to soak overnight in some bleach water after giving it a good scrub. It will come up a treat.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
monoboard and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:34 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

Hi Colin
What about the internal vent, does that gently pull off/down ?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:46 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.319 Posts

I've just tried the inside and it comes out easier than the removing the outside mushroom cover. The inside cover overlaps what is basically a short square tube with ribbed corners. These ribs grip the plywood insert set into the roof in this area for strengthening. I would not repeatedly remove this part as it will eventually wear the plywood and it would become loose.
Interestingly I can remember a fine fly screen mesh being in this vent of my previous van, a 2006 Familia. There is not one in my current 2017 van. I wonder if they forgot it or one is no longer fitted?

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 22 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12532 topics and 105723 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2