RE: Help, Scottish midges

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:40 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

I might have to take the top one off & see if i can place some fine mozzie/midge mesh on top of the internal plastic mesh bit

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:43 pm
by Old Rocker | 493 Posts

I fear, from past experiences, there is no effective prevention of bites from these little bu&&ers. My wife reacts badly to mozzie and midge bites so we avoid Western Scotland during the sumner months. A very effective form of midge killer for inside the van was a plug in one that our son in law used in, and brought back from India. Goodness knows what the chemical was in it but in the morning it looked like we had spilt a bag of tea leaves in the van with the amount it had killed.

Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Yesterday is just a memory, tomorrow's never what it's supposed to be
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:13 pm
by Captain Calamity | 346 Posts

I have heard that the Royal Marines chuck the deet-based stuff they are issued with and use Avon Skin So Soft. Be careful to buy the “original” blue bottle version which has citronella as an ingredient. The “silky” pink bottle version does not work.

SOULBLUESMAN68 and monoboard like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:02 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.120 Posts

Kath would agree with you there Capt about the blue working better.

She has used it for years and it works for her to a certain extent with mossies but not as well with midges

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:10 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

The link to a shop for the fine anti midge mesh was handy, they do a black & a white version and being at roof level I've opted for the white one which they have just got back in stock in case any one needed any. I'm hoping when i receive it i can gently tease the outer cowl off and lay a piece on top of the lower vent possibly with some double sided tape

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:10 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

Does anyone know if the mesh triangles in the pop top are fine enough to keep midges out? + the screen that goes across the door on a 2015 320

Last edited Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:11 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 14 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12534 topics and 105727 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0