VW Passat 2.0L diesel dsg

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:13 pm
by Threeberries3 (deleted)

Does anyone tow with a Passat 2L dsg (auto)? I have heard good things, certainly about the Passat and also read various comments about dsg gearboxes, dry clutches not being as good as wet clutches. I'm considering buying a 2019 Passat Estate 2L 150bhp to tow my Troll, weight is Ok just wondered how they tow. It's a wet 7 spd clutch and is fantastic solo, smooth and slick. You can change gear with gearshift or paddles as well so I can overide the auto box if need be.

Colin
Eriba 542 behind a AWD Renault Kadjar
Scroll up

RE: VW Passat 2.0L diesel dsg

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:47 am
by eribaMotters | 5.320 Posts

Colin,
I recall scanning through a recent C&MC article and the 2.0L VAG diesel engine had won tow car of the year for 7 out of the last 10 years. The engine is strong and flexible as you have found out, with the Euro 6 150bhp being a good balance. The dry box was I think originally fitted to older vehicles and like you say is not good. I believe VAG gearboxes are a weak point, particularly the manual as it cannot cope with much over 250N/m of torque and was problematic for me. The 7 speed auto you have is strong. I think it is the same unit as in the 300hp Audi A3 and should serve you well. I would have liked the same box in my A3 but only decided against it on cost.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:48 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:02 am
by Morphy | 966 Posts

I can not comment on the Passat but I had looked at the before buying the Skoda Octavia Scout 2l manual which is a brilliant tow car. I had a Troll 540GT that I towed with the Scout and had no problems at all. The Scout is like my previous tow car Honda CRV it goes into four wheel drive when required so tows really well. Good luck in your search Morphy

New Troll 540GT on the way Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:24 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.120 Posts

Hi Colin

Cannot comment on the DSG but we have towed our Troll with two of the VAG group 150 BHP diesels and they have both towed our 540 as if it wasn't there. We had an Skoda Octavia Scout 4x4 (like Murphy) which was brilliant and then swapped it for the Skoda Karoq Scout 4x4. Apart from the extra weight the 4x4 bit is a bit of a red herring, as it kicks in when needed and in 5 years of towing it has never kicked in.

I have had 5 cars with the VAG 1.9 then 2 litre diesel engine and not had a single engine problem - hope that is not speaking too soon...........!

Good luck

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:17 pm
by AlanC | 93 Posts

I tow with a T5.1 180BHP Transit. This has the 7 speed DSG box and I can confirm it is faultless when towing our Troll.
The only thing I find is I use the sport mode with the Troll on the back more often than I do normally.

Alan

Liz and Alan
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:29 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.120 Posts

Hi Alan

Good point that - I never thought to mention it.

I prefer to tow with the Sport Mode on as it gives a slightly firmer ride which I prefer.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:52 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.320 Posts

I thought Sport mode altered the throttle response and the powered steering weighting.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:47 pm
by AlanC | 93 Posts

Sport mode holds the gear changes for longer.
I don't think it affects the power steering, certainly doesn't on the VW Transporter T5.1 but may do on cars.

Alan

Liz and Alan
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:36 pm
by PooleDweller | 753 Posts

I tow with a VW Golf Estate 2.0L DSG. Tows like a dream. Sports mode appears to give an extra 500rpm in gears 1 to 5 which makes it excellent when in hilly areas and in manual mode as you have more control over the gearbox. Does not appear to affect power steering.

2015 Eriba Triton 430GT pushing a 2011 VW Golf Estate DSG 2L Diesel

Last edited Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:37 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 18 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12534 topics and 105727 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2