Ants….

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:22 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

The morning after returning from a 4 day trip we were just heading out early in the car and noticed the front of the Eriba quite covered with ants. Slight panic as I didn’t want them setting up home so gave them a blitzing with ant killer and sprayed round all of the wheels and legs.
On returning I noticed that there was a lot of tree sap (and a lot of dead ants) on both the eriba and the car, which fortunately just washed off with water. Inside the van was free from squatters so I gathered that it was the sap that was attracting them, and now feel quite bad about unleashing chemical warfare on them rather than just washing them off.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

RE: Ants….

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:47 pm
by scouteralf | 114 Posts

Not totally sure, but I think ants will not nest internally in your van or home.
still a bloody nuisance though.

troll 530GT pushing Kia sportage awd
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:18 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

Reminds me of 'The Great Ant Invasion of June 2012' when we were camping on the banks of the river at Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne. I was woken up in the middle of the night by thousands of ants that had climbed into the van via the corner steadies and sought me out in my Duvalay.

The next morning I bought ant powder from the local supermarket and put circles of it around the legs and other possible points of entry to stop further attacks.

I was hoping to copy a short write up I did at the time but as it was pre-Eribafolk it appeared in 'another place' and is therefore lost to me.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:09 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #3
The next morning I bought ant powder from the local supermarket and put circles of it around the legs and other possible points of entry...
Eww.

Too much information.

Frantone, eribanaut and Aaron Calder like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:35 pm
by JefL | 95 Posts

Is this it Brian

>anyone had ant problems or infestation with their vans ??....does anyone put anything around the wheels or jacks / steadies???

We were invaded by herds of stampeding ants at Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne earlier this year, Ian. They got into our beds and woke us up. It was horrible. I treated the van with insecticidal lacquer banding which kept them down to manageable numbers but as recently as a few weeks ago I was still finding the occasional one inside the van which I suspect were survivors from the original task force.

>does anyone put anything around the wheels or jacks / steadies???

At our first stop on the last tour I saw a chap putting ant powder around wheels and steadies but that's the only time I've seen it done. maybe I should have taken the hint? The problem was that our ants were climbing up the awning and coming in around the door seal.

I shall be extra vigilant this month.”

Copied from another place, sssh.
The name’s Bond, James Bond

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:59 pm

Wow, thanks, Jef! They say the Internet never forgets.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:01 am

Zitat
Eww.

Too much information.

I asked for that but interestingly it only goes to show how fickle memory can be. The bits about being overrun with ants and the location were correct but I was mistaken about their points of entry and my pest control methodology. I sprayed an insecticidal lacquer around the floor and door opening. It was someone else I'd seen who had used ant powder around his corner steadies.

Getting old is a bugger!

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:21 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #7
...but interestingly...
I think we'll be the judge of that..

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:21 pm

Bully!

Forum Administrator
Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:23 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

After an invasion of ants at Peniscola a few years ago I bought ant powder and practically nuked the interior of the van. To deter the little blighters I then used the powder around the steadies, tyres and jockey wheel. I was still doing this when we arrived at the Eribafest on the Vendee, it caused some consternation when I was spotted as everyone assumed there was a serious ant problem on site. Nope, just me being neurotic again! I still put the powder around the steadies and tyres at home on the drive once the ants appear. Neil thinks I’m mad but I’m not having ants in my van if I can help it, ugh!

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 8 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12534 topics and 105729 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2