420 dilemma

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:31 pm
by wooddude (deleted)

We're interested in buying a second hand 420 to replace our '83 Familia , as we need a loo and longer beds - the joys of old age! Seen a good one but it was EHU only, and we've since been told a 420 with EHU and battery power might be hard to come by. We do a fair amount of off grid , so battery power is a must. Has anyone out there added battery power to a 420 and if so was it easy? Or even better- got one for sale?!!! Cheers wooddude

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:18 pm | Scroll up

RE: 420 dilema

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:09 pm
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

Hi Colin. I'm no expert but I do remember the days of split relays for cars/caravans in the 70s. In those days the split relay and additional battery was carried in the tow car boot and the second battery was removed from the boot and temporarily mounted into the caravan for the duration of the stay.

The following videos seem to have an up to date "Take" on the subject but are obviously in a campervan. If you were to follow this simple installation I don't know how you would link the car's battery charging system to the Eriba.

Perhaps someone else will know if its possible.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:12 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:27 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

If you had to fit your own battery system I'd be inclined to fit what is supplied with a new van:

* A Schaudt CS409A batter charger (with solar input if needed - useful if off grid for a long time: €250 plus shipping/taxes)
* A Varta LA95 battery (£200)
* A 50A Fuse/holder (£5)
* A 100A isolator switch (£6)

Above are guide prices - you can always buy cheaper of course

You'd then need to connect the 7/13 pin connector to the CSV409A and then wire all your 12V equipment. The Schaudt would handle the split charging from the car battery if your fridge has 12V capability

If you've done wiring before, its straightforward. If not, dont try it without someone knowledgeable around to guide/advise/check

PS The Schaudt also has a battery boost function to handle the various voltage outputs from cars including newer high output alternators and has a DIP switch to switch between lead acid and Gel/AGM depending on which battery you fit.

Last edited Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:43 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:27 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I would think it depends what age of van you are looking to buy, most post 2012 UK spec Eribas will have the Autonomy pack fitted as standard (with the battery), there is a possibility an import Eriba may not have had one fitted.

I had a 1994 Puck which had a battery retro fitted by someone else.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:59 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

Most post 2000 Eriba Tourings have a battery and charger fitted. It is still a cost option on new vans. You'll find factory fitted Autark/Autonomy systems, aftermarket dealer/mobile tech fitted systems and DIY jobs. So all sorts of different gear and fittings. A hot water boiler is rarer than battery and charger.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:52 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Not quite right, Most British supplied vans have a battery, but most continental supplied vans don't, and there are a lot of private imports out there.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:57 am

Ours was one of those Dave. Whoever converted it used a standard wobbly electrics box so had to lean it to get it into the locker.

When I think about how we managed in the 70s is such a box necessary? I suppose everything was "Off Grid" in those days.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:23 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

Quote: eribanaut wrote in post #6
Not quite right, Most British supplied vans have a battery, but most continental supplied vans don't, and there are a lot of private imports out there.
Dave

That's mainly where the dealer/mobile tech and DIY fittings come in. There are relatively few Tourings in the UK without a battery and charger, even though they might have come in from the Continent without..

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG

Last edited Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:29 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:32 am
by wooddude (deleted)

Thanks for all your comments and ideas. We are going to carry on looking for an older model, pre 2020 and see what comes along. In the meantime we'll carry on enjoying our old faithful 1983 Famillia !

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:36 am

Zitat
We are going to carry on looking for an older model, pre 2020

Randa

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 19 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0