Unplanned route changes

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:22 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

At some stage all caravaners will face an unplanned towing situation/diversion. I have had a few where I have had to take a detour due to road works, anxiety runs high as you don't know if the detour will be suitable for caravans. Today I was taking my Familia for a service in Huddersfield and about about a mile before getting to the service center the road was blocked by police. There had been a hit and run and unfortunately there was a dead body in the road. The road is very steep and I had to turn the van and car around to go back down the hill. If I had a big outfit it would have been horrendous, fortunately after going backwards and forwards a few times we turned it around. The next difficult bit was negotiating narrow roads to get to the service center using an alternative route. It was very stressful but at least the Eribas width and length made it a lot easier than a big outfit.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Keith and Sue likes this post!
Last edited Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:22 pm | Scroll up

RE: Unplanned route changes

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:58 pm
by Randa france | 12.864 Posts

We used to worry about that when we were travelling in foreign parts as our inbuilt Sat Nav was famous for finding short cuts.

When she gave up the ghost a couple of years ago and we took to using Google mapping on the phone the same think applied except she refused to find an alternative route, directing us instead to the next road junction where we could turn around and follow the route she had already planned. She was good at detecting up to the minute diversions however.

Our new Sat Nav has a lorry option where you can add in the size of your vehicle, so, by putting in 10 metres long, 2.3 metres wide and 2.3 metres high, it'll stop sending us down goat trails .......... we hope

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Poptop320 likes this post!
Last edited Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:00 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:25 pm

I think my next Sat nav will have vehicle width..

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:07 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

In 2019 we left a campsite outside Rouen and headed off for the Ile de Re. We soon came across a large river that was the Seine. A car ferry was in operation, at cost, so I thought we'd find another route and set off. The sat -nav is fairly good and redirects or recalculates after a few miles. This time it di not so we decided to turn around and head back. We found a spot to do a U turn but things did not work out as expected. The lorry and coach drivers were very understanding as I blocked the road and unhooked the caravan so I could continue my journey in the other direction. No horn honking, no hand gestures. So we arrived back at the ferry and waited. When it docked a crew hand ran over and polite informed us we could not access with the caravan and pointed us to the 15 mile detour in the direction from which we had just come. Never mind we were on holiday, the sun was shining and we had a boot full of vino to enjoy when we arrived a little late to our site.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:15 pm

That reminds me of a couple I met whilst onsite, they use to have a Famila and towed it with a Morgan. They toured Europe with their sat nav and it took them to a ferry crossing. Unfortunately for them the ferry only took one car at a time and they couldn't take the Eriba and the car at the same time. They had to unhitch the Eriba and make two journeys...

PooleDweller and Doonhamer like this post!
Last edited Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:17 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:15 pm

Last edited Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:16 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:05 pm
by Mike J | 23 Posts

My first towing experience involved a 100 plus mile journey home after collecting my Eriba. I got within one mile of home when I came across a police roadblock. Apparently a WW2 hand grenade had been found by by the river and the area cordoned off. The only alternative route involved a single track road and fording the river upstream. I learnt a lot that day!

Doonhamer and Poptop320 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:25 pm
by Doonhamer | 77 Posts

A few weeks ago we were heading to Les Angles in the Pyrenees as I had a triathlon that had been on my wish list for the last 8yrs.

Getting ready was a bit more of a rush than usual & we hadn't the opportunity to buy our usual Michelin Local maps to plan our approach to our campsite.

Instead we followed the road signs to the next village. Unfortunately this took us up & over Col de Pailhères & 5 weeks later Mrs Doonhamer still hasn't forgiven me 😁 .

IMG_20210807_143119_311.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2001 Super Puck chasing a Skoda Yeti

Poptop320, cabbie37, Markeriba and Randa france like this post!
Last edited Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:26 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 20 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105589 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3