Brilliant Groundsheet Pegs if you are on a hardstanding

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:09 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

IMG_20210813_165030364_HDR (2).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Like many other I have bent thin groundsheet pegs on hardstanding and had to use hard ground pegs.

Bought some of these this summer and they are excellent. They go into the hardstanding like stone pegs but are much shorter with a flat top so you don't trip over them. They hold really well but are then easy to get out of the ground when you are moving.

Would highly recommend them if you are putting down a groundsheet in your awning on hard ground.

MikeT

Markeriba, and John Cross like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Brilliant Groundsheet Pegs if you are on a hardstanding

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:54 pm
by atkinbrown | 62 Posts

We have never used pegs on our groundsheet as it has never moved in the awning.

Eriba 530GT and Skoda Karoq 1.6 TDI
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:54 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

Neither have I.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Mercedes GLA 220d 4Matic
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:46 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

I have some cheap little plastic ones I sometimes use to hold a door mat in place if the groundsheet is not down. The problem is "up north" we need to nail everything down, if we don't it may go missing.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Eribanut and Shady Pines like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:37 pm
by fishcultureman (deleted)

Mike, we have a large collection of bent metal tent pegs, so are now wondering if these things would be worth a punt for pegging an awning down on hard ground?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:46 pm
by John Cross | 264 Posts

They look perfect for the job. We don't have an awning that needs a carpet, but my mate was looking for something like these. I will let him know.

2005 Troll 540 and 1994 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:17 am

Hi Colin

When we use the Kampa Popair there is lots of pegging outside and inside the awning. We still use the long hardground pegs for the outside and for the guy ropes & storm straps but we use these for pegging the inside skirt and the footprint groundsheet.

Not sure about them for the outside on hardstanding as they are much shorter - not sure how they would hold in strong winds like we had for a few days in Angelsey this summer.

Be interested to know how they hold up if you try them for all the pegging.

Cheers
Mike

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:59 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

After having lost the Omnistore canopy over the top one gusty night, I have used things that look like this. I carry a small battery drill/driver and the appropriate socket and the job is done in seconds, regardless of the nature of the ground. Off hand I cant recall the exact dimensions of the ones I have - probably something like 10x125, something like that. They can be found at places like Screwfix.

Takes all the effort out of pegging out and you will never suffer a bent peg again..

coach screw.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:59 am

Hugh

How easily do they come out of hardstanding pitches? I guess in old gits measurements that's about 5 inches

Think I've got some shorter ones of these in the shed. Interesting idea. Are there any downsides to them?

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:35 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

I've just popped out to the van and measured them. I expect their classification to be 160x6mm.

In truth, I've never used them on a hardstanding pitch, but my experience with them is they screw in and they screw out. I particularly noticed this at a well know cliff top site in Brittany last year which is stony beneath the surface. These just went in and out as easy as pie whereas the people opposite, erecting an awning, were knocking hell out of the pegs and not really getting anywhere. I have been using them for some years now and have found no drawback whatsoever. Just don;t be tempted into buying them from camping supplies shop, who sell them at a premium, like I say Screwfix or equivalent is the place to look.

hth

Hugh

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:54 pm

So I went ahead and bought these from Halfords:
Groundhog Tent pegs:
https://www.halfords.com/camping/camping...ack-290103.html

Moving to a hard pitch on Thursday, so will provide a review then.

Update: no problems at all in hard stoney ground. Easy to remove, and no bending either. Good value at £2 per 8 pack online.

Last edited Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:39 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:37 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

I have some of these and the plastic bit at the top breaks very easily.

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
One man and his dog.. retired 🐶
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:16 pm

hi Andy

Afraid I've also had problems with these green topped steel pegs. They were great at first but think something happens to the green plastic tops over time.

Used some, along with other hard ground pegs, in an oldish hardstanding pitch that had seen better days in some very windy weather. I had to go out and give some of the pegs an extra hammering in. When we came to go couldn't get two of the green topped pegs out. On one the green plastic head bent right up and on the other it snapped off.

Got them out eventually using my copper headed camping hammer and some good pliers.

Have adapted two of them as ends for my marking out string in the garden and they work well for that.

perhaps Colin (FishC) will have better luck with them. They would be great for grass pitches - although perhaps the green tops would make them a difficulty to see

MikeT

Last edited Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:19 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:49 pm

Halford pegs definitely fine on stoney grass pitches I reckon.
Apart from one or two campsites, hardstanding pitches in NI don't exist, so not really an issue over here. Sound suggestion by Cabbie37 though.

Last edited Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:49 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:09 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Just tried driving home awning pins into my hard standing at Chipping Norton C&CC.

Bent the hammer home pegs and the blunted the screw in pegs neither of which were cheap:(

When I get back home I'll be digging out my M6x150mm SDS hammer drill-bit for my battery drill and putting that in the van:)

Last edited Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:09 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1