Why no ring pull?

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:04 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 996 Posts

Mrs SDA has just remarked that it's a pain dragging the electric can opener out in order to open a can of salmon. She then went on to ponder why tinned salmon and tuna don't have ring pulls? I mean they've been around for decades now and, in a way sardines have been in a sort of ring pull tin for as long as I can remember.

So why are salmon and tuna ring pull less?

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

RE: Why no ring pull?

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:09 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.302 Posts

The tins are generally a larger diameter and as such she would need arms like popeye to break the circumferential seal, I think.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:58 pm
by Randa france | 12.866 Posts

Could it be that there are more juices in tinned salmon and tuna and therefore highly lightly to spill the stuff all over you.
Tinned mackeral, sardines and even pilchards come in long narrow tins.
R

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:40 pm
by Eribacamper | 109 Posts

I love ❤ pilchards

Steve

https://www.instagram.com/eribacamper/

2E0FVS
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:39 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Well, they come in ring pull cans here. Clever froggies! You can even get no-drain tuna! The only time I ever need a tin opener is for confit de canard.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:19 am
by Crystal | 245 Posts

We have to resort to a truly ancient electric tin opener (probably 30+) as numerous non-electric ones don't seem to work on non ring-pull tins produced now.

1999 Eriba Troll
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:17 pm

Our Kenwood opener is fairly ancient and is a bit like Trigger's broom, it's had so many bits replaced. Only trouble is the newer bits are a much brighter white plastic than the ancient parts.

Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:36 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

The Tesco branded Tuna, come with a ring pull tin lid.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:37 pm

They must be French Tuna then.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:31 pm

Probably old stock, given Brexit.

Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:15 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.

Last edited Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:16 am | Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:34 am

Oh, I've just remembered our first trip to France with the boys when re rented somewhere in Picardy. Mrs eribaMotters went me into the supermarket whilst she sat in the car with the boys. The mission was to get tinned tuna for a salad. I still don't know if I bought cat food.

Colin

Steamdrivenandy likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12518 topics and 105613 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0