Be careful out there

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:00 pm
by John Cross | 264 Posts

We had a lovely time away with friends at Ashwell this weekend. On our way home yesterday evening, we stopped at South mimms services. I always stay with the rig and then swap with my wife if I need a pee.
As I'm sat in the Discovery, I noticed 2 different people come up the side of our Troll, the first guy spotted me and turned tail, the 2nd also spotted me and walked past me and disappeared behind vehicles.
We have never left any of our rigs, unattended at services. I would rather turn up at out destination with our caravan still attached, than both of us going into the services together.

2005 Troll 540 and 1994 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
Scroll up

RE: Be careful out there

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:15 am
by AlanC | 94 Posts

We have started traveling with the Al-ko hitch lock fitted for precisely that reason.

No problems so far...fingers are still crossed though.

Alan

Liz and Alan
eribanaut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:43 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

We are like you John we never leave our Troll unattended at service stations after seeing something dodgy at the M6 Toll services a couple of years ago.

We noticed a big car with a tow bar seemingly cruising round the caravan area,( which is quite small) not towing anything. Very suspicious. We thought we saw the same car pass us further north on the M6 proper but we might have been mistaken. Then the same car had been pulled over by the Police about 10 miles further on.....it all seemed a bit strange, but it might have been innocent.

As the nights have started to draw in some of the lorry/caravan areas can be a fair way from the busy areas, such as Chester Services, and they are a bit spooky in the dark. Kath wasn't over happy sitting in the car whilst I went to the toilet, a fair walk away.

I wonder if thefts of Eribas have gone up in the current shortage..............

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:13 pm

Have to agree Mike, some services are pretty dismal for caravan parking and really bad when you find the spots filled with cars or trucks.

I have thought about fitting a clamp to the van, be it wheel or hitch when parked up, but knowing how quickly these can be removed, I will be staying with our rig. I would rather turn up with our holiday still attached to my car.

Stan Doori and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:56 pm
by Alan | 77 Posts

Has anyone on the forum had their Eriba stolen?

SOULBLUESMAN68, atkinbrown and eribanaut like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:33 pm
by Alan | 77 Posts

Obviously nobody has had their Eriba stolen!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:52 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

Don't call it.....

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:12 pm

Never had a caravan stolen, but then I've never left one unattended, Caravans do get taken from service stations.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:58 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Having seen at first hand the devastation of some friends who had their WWB stolen after they had packed it to go on holiday in the early hours we have always been very careful about where we leave our Troll.

They have never returned to caravanning even though they loved it...........

MikeT

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 17 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2