How Tyresome

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:59 pm
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

It was pointed out to me earlier this year during the Eriba service that two of my tyres were 7 years old. An oversight by me due to the long touring layoff because of Brexit and Covid. It never ceases to irritate me when I have to swap tyres which have a perfectly good tread life left in them

As I needed new tyres for the car as well I decided to give our local garage a chance rather than travel 15 miles to our regular tyre garage. He was very competitive with the car tyres but I had difficulty trying to explain to him the fine line we tread when chosing the right tyres for the Eriba.(see what I did there? )

For all the years we've owned the Eriba we have always gone for the same size and rating on tyres as were fitted when new. This meant that there was only a 6% load margine rather than the 10% recommended nowardays and it does worry me. Also and because Hymer have raised the recommended tyre pressures on thier various Eribas including the older ones, it's been difficult finding a tyre that will take the extra pressure.

Eventually our friendly young garage owner came up with a commercial tyre with a huge load rating and as he had already fitted it to the wheel I didn't wish to upset him as he and his team have been a blessing to us and our ageing car over the last few years.

Therefore I've decided to join the ranks of other owners who run thier Eribas on van tyres. I've decided to lose some tyre pressure however so rather than running them at 44psi I've dropped them to 38psi (hope that'll do?).

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

RE: How Tyresome

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:06 pm
by Captain Calamity | 349 Posts

Roger

Both Eribamotters and I have 185 R14 C 102 tyres (see earlier posts). Mine came withe van from new in 2017. The C stands for a “commercial” grade tyre. Tyre pressures for these, as confirmed by Lowdhams and Leisure World, should be 48psi.

Hope this helps

Kevin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:32 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #1
I've decided to lose some tyre pressure however so rather than running them at 44psi I've dropped them to 38psi (hope that'll do?).

Randa

Pages 137 to 140 of the 2019 Touring handbook provides a full complement of tyre sizes and pressures along with gross (mono) axle weights (see manual section)

Also, the attached is a photo of the tyre sizing/pressures from my van TouringTyre Pressures.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Would it it not be prudent to look up the closest specification tyre and axle loading and choose the appropriate tyre pressure rather than just "guess" at a tyre pressure?

Regarding the 7 year rule and throwing away tyres with good tread, tyre function is more than just tread (depth) which exists for water displacement purposes, its also about grip (with the road surface).

Tyre polymers go hard and lose their elasticity over time which means they cant grip in the dry - as important as stopping in the wet I'm sure you'll agree :)

Last edited Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:36 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:56 pm

Yes, that's the chart I've been using and it states that I should be putting 3 bar (44psi) in the tyres. It's worth knowing that this chart has only been around for the past 10 years or so and previously the recommended tyre pressure for my Troll and tyre size was 2.5bar (36psi) hence the problem of getting a tyre which will take the extra pressure.

As the flexibility of the tyre side walls is considered to help with an otherwise rudimentary suspension I am thinking of lowering the tyre pressures because the new tyres have a stronger and more rigid side wall and that's where the guesstimation begins,

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:59 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:55 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Hmm, I understand the history, the need for side-wall suspension and the problem about availability but, ..... methinks tyre technology may have moved on in the last 10 years so I'd probably go with current figures.

Afer all, if you go back far enough you'll find "recommendations" for cross-ply pressures and before you say anything, yes, I do remember them (just!) :)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:52 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Roger, as above. I would run them at what it now says in the locker. Your previous tyres wereI’m guessing car tyres and should run at lower pressures. The commercial tyres you have fitted should be run at far higher pressures. I recall when I had a service a couple of years ago I suggested a slightly reduced pressure as you are thinking of as I was not running at max load. I was told no, just leave them at the higher pressure.
Back in 2007 I started the ball rolling with Hymer on the tyres pressures. I had endured a repeated wobble on my new Troll when in France. I was running it at the book pressures but it transpired Hymer had moved on from lower pressure car tyres to higher pressure commercial and not updated the owners manual. I was most unhappy and they issued the list of new pressures.
I seem to recall somebody was not as lucky as I was at the time as they wrote off an Eriba, not sure about the car, on I think the northern end of the M6.
Please stick with the higher pressure which for 102 tyre is I believe 48psi for 1200kg and 44psi for 1000/1100kg

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:54 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:52 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

There is an on-line calculator here that may be useful

https://www.tyresafe.org/caravan-tyre-pr...FoaAmUKEALw_wcB

Though I will say it gives a slightly higher recommendation of 52psi for my 165R13C 94 tyres (for 1000kg MTPLM) whereas I tend to run slightly lower at around 48psi. That has given me no problems. I think Colin has hit the nail on the head when he referes to the use of commercail (van) tyres now

I'd be interested of other people opinions of the accuracy of the calculator..

Hugh

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:58 am
by Morphy | 966 Posts

Hiya Roger just checked mine and unless I am not understanding the recommendations correctly the book is saying 55 psi or 3.8 bar the chassis upgrade to 1400. That is on our new Troll the tyres are 185 R 14 C 102/100 Q 65 PSI.
Mrphy

New Troll 540GT on the way Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:27 am

Morphs, you are correct with your pressures. Trolls differ in max weight from 1,000kg upwards and hence the confusement.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france and Morphy like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:33 am

Hi Steve. Yes it's as Colin says.
Randa

Morphy likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:59 pm
by Pudelwagen (deleted)

I think if your tyre pressure is too low, the tyre flexes more and this flexing causes the sidewalls to get hot which can lead to catastrophic failure.
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a2...-tire-pressure/

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:18 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

This whole tyre thing has been going round and round for ages.
I don't like high pressures it takes the suspension element out of the tyre and creates very real problems to the interior fixings. I have a rear facing dash cam and playing that back I was astounded at the noise inside the van from bumps in the road, no wonder doors fall off.

I don't understand why car tyres are frowned upon. Surely its about the load index and if the tyre can take the load, how does it know it's a caravan not a car?

I currently have commercial tyres which have to be inflated to about 45 psi but they are now in their 6th year and should be replaced. I've looked at car tyres with the appropriate load index for my Triton and they come out at an inflation pressure of 36psi. What am I missing here?

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:04 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Car tyres are not manufactured to accommodate the greater range of conditions a commercial tyre could face vis-a-vis loading and terrain.

For that reason they are more ruggedly constructed - eg 8 ply rather than 6 for (most) cars as I understand it.

Also, the caravan tyre is part of its supsension (most caravan axles relying on a torsion rubber and hydraulic damper unlike the more sophisticated arrangements found on cars, again as I understand it)

Sure, a car tyre will perform for a while (just like a spacesaver spare tyre will) but it will eventually fail if used if used extensively, at speed or over harsh terrain.

Van manufacturers recommend the tyres they do to mitigate legal claims for loss, injury and/or death: your safety and that of others must surely be the reason to fit them above anything else?

Last edited Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:05 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:52 pm

The fitting of car tyres to caravans was I believe the norm and it is only really the “fairly” recent increase in caravan weights that has now meant it is the norm to fit commercial tyres.
If I could find a car tyre that would take my caravan load I would not have a problem fitting them. Actually I would as they would be more expensive.

Colin

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:00 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I went down the van tyre route as well when they were 6 years old, with having the Familia axle uprated to MTPLM 1050kg it was on the cusp for the car tyre rating that it was originally on.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 18 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0