gas regulator age

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:49 pm
by zippy | 70 Posts

am I correct in thinking that a bulk head regulator should be changed every 10 years? A friend recently had a service and they fitted a new regulator as the original one was 5 years old, I know the hose should be 5 years but I always thought the reg was 10 years

Scroll up

RE: gas regulator age

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:24 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Handbook says "The gas pressure regulator and the gas tubes must be replaced observing the nationally defined deadlines (the latest after 10 years)"

Camping and Caravan Club states "Gas supply hoses deteriorate over time and in use, so they should be replaced at least every five years and more frequently in intensive use conditions"

Last edited Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:32 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:29 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Oh! Never heard of a time limit on regulators before.
The bulkhead regulator on my 2007 Triton 430 packed up just over 2 years ago so lasted 12 years. It failed safe in that it refused to let any gas through.
What about other gas appliances like heaters, hobs and fridges? Or is it just the potential danger on the high pressure side I wonder.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:17 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Depending on usage gas regulators can get clogged with condensate of oil (from the gas filling apparatus) and maybe water over time: in that sense they are "fail safe" in that they dont let any gas through:)

As background info, there was a big change in the practices of bulkhead vs bottle mounted regulators in 2004 when amongst other things it was discovered this condensate was causing regulators to fail and/or to cause gas "starvation". Not surprisingly, at the same time the opportunity to fit inline gas filters emerged to address this problem - Truma do one which is about £50 on eBay Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184969724083

Essentially, bulkhead-mounted regulators in post-2004 build vans now have to be mounted to allow the condensate to run back into the cylinder to help prevent premature regulator failure (as well as being set at a max of 30mbar instead of 37mbar for bottle-mounted regulators, but this is more to do with system component compatibility not condensate problems)

Filters can help alleviate condensate problems by removing the contaminant but their need will depend on many factors so best to talk to your gas service engineer.

Changing the regulator on a regular basis normally overcomes the condensate-build up problem as well as any other problems of time-related degredation.

There is no need to change downstream devices apart from them being "serviced" (to keep their jets clean, to remove carbon build-ups or dust/insect ingress and to ensure airways and exhaust flues are clear as well as keeping their combustion parameters in spec) but again, to be sure, talk to your gas service engineer

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Last edited Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:11 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:20 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

The continent seems to still use bottle mounted regulators [at 30mb] and don't seem to have the condensate problem, so why did the UK change to bulkhead mounted?
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:10 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

standardisation I believe (to ensure all vans had fixed and solid pipework from the regulator to its onboard devices)

Last edited Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:14 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:28 am
by John Cross | 264 Posts

I have always burnt off the gas at the hob, when we are heading home. Our last van was 13 years old and still had the original regulator when we sold it.

2005 Troll 540 and 1994 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:44 am
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Similar to you John, I turn the gas cylinder off and leave the fridge on. That depressurises the gas line.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 22 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0