Laptops v phones

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:55 am
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

Is it just me that thinks that the pesky phone is now being used far more frequently than a laptop or tablet for Facebook and the Forum?
The number of UK campsites that point up to the sky and mutter ET or is it 4G when you ask about a WiFi signal.
How on earth can anybody conduct some serious business or anything other than constantly keeping in touch with your best friend Stacy every minute of the day on the pesky phone

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

RE: Laptops v phones

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:18 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I struggle to see the print on my phone and usually the word checker rewrites my sentence into something random.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:32 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Assuming you have a reasonable data allowance on your phone, and you have a signal (preferably 4g), using the mobile hotspot feature usually does the trick. Then connect your ipad / pc to the hotspot and away you go.

Obviously you need a reasonably up to date phone to be able to do this but most smartphones upto about 7 years old can usually do this.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Randa france and FINNWOODY like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:37 pm

Yep, I have a newish phone with 4G but the last part of what you say Steve about linking my laptop is way above my head?

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:06 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Randa

You can use your phone to connect any Wifi device to the internet: its called "tethering" your device to a "hotspot". Its covered extensively in the post called Grrrr!

You can connect devices like:
* laptops
* computers
* iPads
*other mobile phones
* cameras
* smart TV's
* smart speakers
etc
etc

Last edited Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:07 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:44 pm

Yes, I've now managed it using Mrs R's laptop but cannot get it using either of my two tablets although my newer tablet is more recent than the missus' laptop.

Regarding upside down photos on the phone, I've tried it every which way apart from standing on my head but they still don't (all) turn correctly.
I m a lot happier now however with this breakthrough so will carry on this week using this method. Hopefully we will be back on WIFI next week.

Randa

Last edited Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:44 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:03 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

All the photos enlarge correctly on Facebook. It's the forum host not implementing the embedded orientation info in the photo's file.
Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:03 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:21 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

okey doke:)

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:22 pm
by fishcultureman (deleted)

Or get a 4g mobile WiFi router (MIFI). We use one with an unlimited data SIM, but payg sims are available. Having said that if your phones 4g allowance is good, then probably no point.

Randa france and Williebraveheart like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:14 pm

It's using the phones keyboard that gets me.
I can't understand how folk are able to get on with them.
Give me a laptop keyboard and screen any day.👍

Ribski likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:00 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

You could alawys use a keyboard paired to your phone via bluetooth:)

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:43 pm

No but I've now managed to get my tablet to work off my phone's 4G signal using USB tethering AND the photos ARE coming out the correct way around by having the snap button on the right. Must remember to get my thumb out of the way though.
Bliss. A proper keyboard and screen. Just need to buy more data at ..............................................................................................................

Arggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg I was suddenly cut off in mid sentence ( mid sentence? Yes a good phrase to use in double meaning ) by my service provider for not having enough gigiwhatsits. Just paid some more dosh and two hours more fiddling I'm back in the 21st century. and the top part of my stunted celebratory message was recovered thus;-

..................................................................................................................................................You started writing this post on 09.11.2021.
The post content has been automatically recovered.

Really must get more gigiwhatsits in future now that i now how to use them

Last edited Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:47 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:47 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Sadly another bother of folks using phones for facebook instead of a PC is that they don't scroll through previous posts and the same question and (usually) incorrect answer keeps getting repeated. This is so noticeable on the Eribafolk facebook page that it's becoming tiresome to to help people out.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:52 pm

Too right Ray. The only reason I'm having to resort to the phone is because of no campsite wifi and as you say, the phone is a sad imitation of a laptop and keyboard which gives you far more flexibility.
I find it so frustrating not to be able to look up information with ease.

Randa

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:15 pm
by Bryn | 993 Posts

just been to a restaurant on the I o W and was told to download the menu and order the food and pay and they would bring it out to us??? when I showed them my state of the art Nokia 310 that makes and takes calls they were confused so they brought us a tablet and told us to choose from the menu and hit the enter key???? what the bl**dy hell has happened to real people and what is 4g,5 G and GG

FINNWOODY, campnsnooze, Eribanut, Ribski and Sportique like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 31 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12532 topics and 105723 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3