Motor mover roller correct pressure?

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:07 pm
by NickRay (deleted)

Hiya.
I've just bought a Puck L 2001 that has a Reich motor mover fitted. This is a real treat to be able to manouver the van easily.
It requires using the caravan winder to gradually move the rollers into contact with the tyres.
Is there an optimum pressure that one can judge? Should the tyres show a slight indent under pressure?
I also noticed on my first trip that one side could occasionally slip. Is it possible for the entire unit to go out of alignment and be slightly skewed?
And one last thing, should it be possible to drive one side of the van on to a ramp for levelling purposes? I did try it on a grass slope but the van just slewed round without getting on to the ramp.
Appreciate any suggestions.
Many thanks

Scroll up

RE: Motor mover roller correct pressure?

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:22 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Which Reich mover do you have? I have an Easy Driver Basic 1.8 fitted to my Triton and the rollers are set about 18mm away from the tyres. It is possible that one side may have been set closer/further away in error or slipped over time. On the body of my mover you can see an indication of how far the mover should be wound in. I can operate the mover so one wheel is stationary whilst the other is driven up a levelling ramp.
5 - mover-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:01 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

I guess your mover is either the Reich Economy or the Reich Comfort. Mechanically, these are basically the same.

Early versions were fitted with grit rollers and over time the grit gets worn away, reducing the friction on the tyre, causing slippage.

Later versions were fitted with aluminium rollers which are grooved along their length to provide the grip on the tyre.

Worn grit rollers can be replaced by the newer aluminium ones.

When checking alignment the van must be levelled, on level ground and the tyres inflated to the correct pressure.

The Reich installation manual specifies the roller-tyre gap to be set to 15mm, although a gap of up to 20mm will be fine.

There should be a marker on each side of the mover to show when the rollers are at optimum wind-on.

To check alignment, wind on the rollers until one of the rollers is just touching the tyre, and then check the other side. Ideally that will be just touching the tyre aswell.
If theres a discrepancy of more than 3 or 4mm the unit will need adjustment by slackening off the mounting bolts and sliding the offending side towards the tyre.

To drive one wheel onto a ramp (to level the van on a sloping pitch) can be tricky, especially if the grass is wet.
The best way is to drive each wheel alternately rather than both wheels at once.

Last edited Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:23 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:58 pm
by chasnick | 69 Posts

Or better still, do away with the ramp and get a Lock and Level. Bulletproof and a joy to use.

Williebraveheart and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:06 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Here's th URL:
Lock and level

Dave & Taka
Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Duo T
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:26 pm
by NickRay (deleted)

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and links. They all make a lot of sense and I'll check out the Reich installation manual (thanks JohnE).
The Lock and Level looks very cool but as I have a ramp I'll see how it goes before raising (haha) the extra cash.
Thanks again all!
Nick

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:10 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

I use home-made ramps and motor mover without any issues. Good luck

Dave

Dave & Taka
Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Duo T
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:07 pm
by nod (deleted)

The Reich economy has to be fitted upside down on Eribas so you can't see the marker that tells you when you have wound it to the correct pressure against the wheel. However if you look underneath you will see it and when in the correct position you can use a permanent maker to add a mark on top of the bracket. This is what Richard from Midland Motor Movers did when fitting mine.

If it doesn't have a bottom and sides it's not a pie!😀
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:38 pm
by rutts | 81 Posts

i had the old grit sleeved rollers on my 2002 420Gt & while using the mover on a hardstanding pitch a piece of gravel got caught between the tyre & roller with the gritted sleeve splitting under pressure.I tried to get a replacement & was told they no longer made them & that a pair of new alumimium rollers would be needed,but when I tried to order them I was told that they couldn't be supplied to the public & so I asked Paul(late Al maintenance manager) to order for me,which he did & I installed them with 15mm clearance & they worked fine. I did offer the remaining roller(in very good condition) for free,as a working spare but but eventually took it to our local recycling centre.Only yesterday I reset the clearance on a powertouch mover.again to 15mm(from 20mm) as the van was turning when the offside wheel mover would slip.dave

Skoda Superb 1.8TSI assisting a 2002 420GT
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0