Water level gauge for internal under seat water tank

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:48 pm
by Grandad Super (deleted)

Has anyone fitted a water level gauge to a Troll internal under seat fresh water tank?

Scroll up

RE: Water level gauge for internal under seat water tank

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:00 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

I've had large inboard tanks on three Eribas and thought about a gauge but never bothered. My simple method is fill tank to full on arrival. I use a bucket under the waste outlet and each time I empty this I put a watering can full of water in the tank. With two days to go I stop filling the tank in this manner. This method has served me well since 2007.
What I have added is an isolation switch to the pump so the taps can be left open for a full drain down whilst power is still running for lights.
20 - water pump isolator switch-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

If you did decide to fit one then check out https://clearcutconversions.co.uk/

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:20 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:59 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

We don't have one. I imagine if we used the water heater, then it might be useful.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:41 am
by Inspecta_Gadget | 212 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Hi, they are fitted to a lot of the GT touring models now. They are easily obtainable- here’s one example:-
Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CBE-Waste-Wat...2BoCsggQAvD_BwE

If you get annoyed when you run out of water then it’s worth fitting one but you can live without it.
Personally, we do use the shower so it’s useful to us, much better than having to lift the seat to look in the tank. 🙂

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:54 am
by smitton | 21 Posts

Sensor wiring.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)[[File:Cable routing.jpg|none|auto]][[File:Cable routing.jpg]][[File:Cable routing.jpg|none|auto]]Sensor position.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Readout position.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)12v cable.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Readout.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Answer is yes, we have fitted one and it’s very useful. Working on the basis that gadgets are good we fitted this to put and end to the frequent need to move the clutter, cushions and hinged board to answer the question; how full is the tank. Until you have had an onboard water tank you will not realise just how useful this gadget is – and for very little beer money.
Quick search finds the kit available at LeisureShopDirect under code 229670. Includes all the bits that you will need apart from 3m 12v cable and cable ties. Don’t confuse this kit with the one for dual water and waste.
CBE Fresh water Tank Level Indicator Kit - Grey | Fresh and Waste Water Level Indicator Kits | Leisureshopdirect
Ours is 2019 542 so that is what is shown in the pictures. Main challenge is getting 12v to the area of the water tank. Fused feed is taken from the consumer unit and the cable fed over the top of the bathroom by simply and carefully removing a piece of trim. Once past the bathroom it is fed around the back of the overhead cupboard . Once in the window area it is simple to feed down the side of the window, pressing the cable behind the blind housing. All pretty easy and neat.
Readout is installed on the facia below the seat, you will need a hole saw for this.
Once the 12v feed cable is in the water tank area then you can set about installing the sensor. The instructions are straightforward, you will need a hole saw to install the sensor. One thing to note is that you will need to get your hand inside the tank to tighten the compression nut. Don’t drill your hole too close to the main blue screw cap otherwise you will not be able to bend your wrist enough to tighten it. If you try putting your hand in you will see what I mean. Also need to remove all plastic swarf otherwise this may clog your taps.
The sensor has 4 probes, the way the sensor works is that the common probe (long one in the middle of the cluster will make continuity with whichever of the 3 other probes are in water. The probes will need to be cut with a hacksaw to fit the Erbia tank depth. The common probe should be long enough to reach the bottom of the tank. The shortest probe should be left at its original length. The 2 other probes need to be cut so that they measure ½ and ¼ of the tank (or whatever you chose).
You may find using a multimeter useful to ensure that you know which is the common probe. My advice is connect the electrics up before installing into the tank so you can test. You can short across the probes with a screwdriver and press the readout to test. If at this point the readout is not working make sure you have +ve and -ve wired correctly, it only works one way.
I don’t want to overcomplicate the installation, it is really fairly straightforward. I am happy to answer any questions you may have.
Get 12v to tank area
Cut hole in facia for readout
Cut hole in tank in correct position
Cut probes to length
Install sensor on to tank
Tidy cabling
Fill your tank and sit back and relax

eribaMotters, , SOULBLUESMAN68 and Mactab like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:15 pm

Thanks for your detailed reply it is exactly what I was hoping for
Dill give it a try
Do you think it is possible to pick the power supply up from the water pump feed ?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:35 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Trevor,
I'd have thought you need a permanent live and not the switched live that the pump has.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:35 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:46 pm

Colin,
I was thinking about the supply to the external pump socket as I do not think it is switched

Trevor

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:51 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 212 Posts

Have you got an external 12v for the filler? You could use this feed.
The water pump is only live when pumping so you’ll only get a level reading whilst it is emptying!

Last edited Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:52 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:42 am
by smitton | 21 Posts

Exactly, that's why we ran a feed back to the consumer unit, and of course it's fused. Easiest solution.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:34 pm

I have an external water pump connection so it should be relatively easy to take the feed to the gauge from it.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:44 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

I'm jealous of Smitton's obvious technical skills and it looks good.

The simpler, Luddite type solution is to get a 540 Troll with the multi-function beds that you put down every morning, Then when Kath is putting the pillows under the water tank seat a polite "how we doing for water" gives an accurate enough daily measure..................................

Of course this is totally useless if she says " lets leave the bed up today I can't be bothered making it tonight" the whole cunning plan is thwarted but such is life........................................

MikeT

Inspecta_Gadget and atkinbrown like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 30 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0